U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

10 posts, read 17,003 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a medical student and I'm going to start my rotations in Mt. Vernon hospital (12 N. 7th Ave) in January. I'm trying to decide where to stay for 6 months. I was planning on staying in Manhattan and taking the Metro North to Mt. Vernon East station. My question is-how is the area around the station and the hospital? Is it safe to walk from the station to the hospital especially if it's later in the evening? If not, is there a bus that would go that way? I've also started looking into apartments in Yonkers and New Rochelle but I was hoping to get a place that doesn't require a car (ie Manhattan). Thanks in advance for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 07:22 PM
cee

32 posts, read 165,063 times
HEY! I'm going there too! any one's advice would be appreciated

Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,850,425 times
Why on earth would you want to stay in Manhattan? Not only is it going to be tremendously expensive (and since most medical students owe a LOT of money that might interest you) but parking is a nightmare if you're planning to drive and it's just a PAIN. Stay in Westchester. Cheaper, more convenient.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 AM

9,964 posts, read 16,087,017 times
Why not LIVE in Mt. Vernon? The Fleetwood area is actually quite nice, not expensive (by this area's standards) very diverse, lots of great stores and restaurants (I particularly like Buona Sera) and perfectly safe. And if you have kids I'm even going to say that at the elementary level the schools are fine in that neighborhood (middle school and above is a different matter). You're right near your job and very near Metro North for going into Manhattan to enjoy.

Even (to make it really walkable) the areas just north of the hospital aren't too bad either (south of the hospital I'd say differently though).

Old 12-23-2009, 09:06 AM

10 posts, read 17,003 times
Thanks for the replies. I was only planning on staying in the city because I can stay with my cousin for cheap and it's close to Grand Central station and I don't mind the 1/2 hr commute. I'm only looking for a 6 month lease so it's been difficult finding places in the Mt. Vernon area. So my only problem/questions is how safe is the walk from the Mt. Vernon east metro north station to the mt. vernon hospital? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County