Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 03:29 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times

Advertisements

Someone near and dear to me and her 10 year old son were denied entrance at their family church in Larchmont because they didn't have a ticket for Christmas mass.

I've never heard of such a practice. Vatican City or St. Patrick's Cathedral sure, but Larchmont?

Does anyone else's church require tickets for Christmas mass, is this a new trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
In the Jewish religion, it is a common practice for services on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur to have you require a ticket you pay for. I had been told the reason churches don't do this on say Good Friday or Christmas is because they assume the practice of tithing supposedly eliminates the need for this or something. Maybe there is less people giving to the collection plate so they felt they had to do this.

Just a logical guess, no flames/arguments/accusations of religious discrimination here, I'm personally against the idea of "pay to pray" and "tickets for services" in any religion.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
It's not an uncommon practice for services that are going to be over capacity, since the churches can get in trouble with the fire marshal, and in the event of a disaster, it would be horrific. Not every congregation has such measures, but many do, especially for children's services that tend to be a bit more popular. I say the generic term services because I know of a couple of different faiths where this practice is utilized, not just at a Catholic Church.

And, it's not just a New York issue, as I know of places in several states that have such measures. Some will, however, offer spill-over services at the same time if they have a separate venue, such as a school gymnasium, and if they have the clergy to staff it.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-25-2009, 11:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
If it was their 'Family Church', how did they not know beforehand? I would assume it would have been announced weeks in advance and obviously others had tickets or they would have been allowed to pay at the door.

ABQConvict

Old 12-25-2009, 04:57 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Most churches do not charge admission prices for such tickets, rather they are distributed to registered members on first-come-first-served basis. Some congregations have to pay, but for Christmas services, I have never heard of that, and the tickets are used as a means of crowd control.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If it was their 'Family Church', how did they not know beforehand? I would assume it would have been announced weeks in advance and obviously others had tickets or they would have been allowed to pay at the door.

ABQConvict
Turns out it was just for the 4 PM Christmas Eve mass. But it's my church too and I didn't know tickets were required either. Worse, the Christmas mass schedule mailed out to the congregation makes no mention of the need for tickets, and my friend was not offered the opportunity to obtain a ticket at the door.

I don't know where communication between church and parishioners broke down, but it's a pretty dismal thing to turn down a mother and her 10 yr old son trying to go to mass.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

ABQConvict
I agree: most churches that give tickets do so because the mass is particularly popular & they want to make sure their church-going members get in. Most places do not make ppl pay for tickets.

Maybe the church in Larchmont is popular.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM

142 posts, read 961,403 times
I am a parishioner of the church you are referring to in Larchmont- it is a mass intended for families w children and tickets have always been required because it would be disastrous without. Regular Sunday mass there is extremely crowded. If they were regular parishioners they would have known about tickets. It is only fair that regular parishioners get tickets first. But I can see how it would be frustrating if one didnt know! Especially w a young child. Also- there are no fees for the ticket and there are plenty of other masses- just that one requires tickets.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:18 AM

To answer my own question, yes, there is a growing trend to issue tickets for crowded services on Christmas, and not just in this country. And it makes sense, I've seen holiday masses so crowded people faint.

Thank you all for your responses. I love the things I learn on C-D Forum.

Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year to everyone in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County