U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM

67 posts, read 166,786 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in NYC for the past 8 years and we are starting a family and beginning our search to move to the burbs. We don't know too much about Westchester towns, so we are looking for any good info that will help us. Can anyone suggest some towns that fit the following criteria to help us narrow our search?

We are looking for an area with...
- Great public schools
- Cute town/village area
- Nice single family homes in the $700,000-$800,000 range
- Preferably 45 mins or less on the train to get to Grand Central

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

-Rachel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 PM

38 posts, read 117,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
My husband and I have lived in NYC for the past 8 years and we are starting a family and beginning our search to move to the burbs. We don't know too much about Westchester towns, so we are looking for any good info that will help us. Can anyone suggest some towns that fit the following criteria to help us narrow our search?

We are looking for an area with...
- Great public schools
- Cute town/village area
- Nice single family homes in the $700,000-$800,000 range
- Preferably 45 mins or less on the train to get to Grand Central

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

-Rachel

Briarcliff Manor
Katonah 55 minutes to NYC
Croton on Hudson, 45 minutes to nyc

Cortlandt Manor 45 minutes to NYC

Irvington
Dobbs Ferry
Millwood,
all less than 45 minutes to NYC

Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,323,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annette gasparro View Post
Briarcliff Manor
Katonah 55 minutes to NYC
Croton on Hudson, 45 minutes to nyc

Cortlandt Manor 45 minutes to NYC

Irvington
Dobbs Ferry
Millwood,
all less than 45 minutes to NYC
No, Katonah is over an hour to NYC. I know because I go to Bedford Hills, the stop prior to Katonah going north, and THAT is over an hour.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:44 PM

10,377 posts, read 16,622,022 times
I thought 55 minutes was pushing it too, but maybe there are "express" trains that do that? Real estate agents tend to go by the "fastest" of the trains.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,869,195 times
Looking at the schedule, there are a number of rush hour trains to Katonah that take 55 to 59 minutes. The longest evening rush one I see is 65 minutes. The morning trains appear to be a bit longer--the longest is 70 minutes, though many are 60-65.

Looking at the faster trains makes sense--while you can't always catch the fastest train, in 8 years of daily commuting (via Croton) I've never ever taken a local train or even the next longest trains.

As for the OP's question, I'd need more detail on what kind of town/area you're after.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM

Thanks so much for all of your replies. Here are some more details as to what we are looking for in a town:

- #1 non-negotiable need are solid public schools.

- We want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city. After living in the city (Upper East Side) for the last 8+ years, we are ready to head to the 'burbs. (I'm looking forward to the days when I can drive 20 minutes or less to a mall or a Target!)

- My husband primarily works in Manhattan or flies out to other cities, so we still need to be somewhat close to NYC and a major airport. (An hour commute or less to both.) Is this possible? Or should we be looking on Long Island (yuck) or NJ (bleh)?

- We will be selling our co-op in the city and our budget for our new house will be around $700-$800K. We will be looking for a house that needs updating - we are not afraid to purchase a house that needs some work. (We've done home renovation in the past and it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be.) We would rather move into a nice area and put work in to the house over time, rather than buying a move-in ready house in a less desirable neighborhood.

- We don't believe in the stereotypes of "snotty" neighborhoods - that doesn't turn us off at all. We've lived in the UES for years and the reputation up here is for people to be snobby. We've found that even though there are small group of snobs, for the most part everyone here is down to earth and we've made great friends in the neighborhood.

- I would like a cute "downtown" or village center area that is a short drive from our new home.

Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. Any info is VERY VERY helpful!!

-Rachel

Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,184,155 times
Since no one else has suggested this yet, and I am somewhat partial to it having grown up there, I'd say to take a look at Rye Brook. It meets all of your requirements, except that it does not have a defined "downtown" area. The center of Rye Brook is an area where there are 2 small shopping centers, each having a supermarket (one has a D'Agostino, the other had a Food Emporium, but I'm not sure if it's still there or has changed to something else). There is also a smaller strip center between the two with a CVS, Blockbuster and a few other stores.
It also does not have its own train station, however, residents use either nearby Port Chester or Rye to catch the train into NYC.

What I liked about Rye Brook is that it is very convenient to a lot of places. You can get to either Greenwich, CT or Rye, NY in no more than 15 minutes, and be at the malls in White Plains in 15-20 minutes too. Greenwich and Rye both have nice shopping areas in their downtown (for lack of a better word) areas. There is also easy access to the Hutchinson River Parkway, which will get you to LaGuardia airport in about 30 minutes without traffic. Even closer is nearby Westchester County Airport, although it will probably be harder to get direct flights there.
Rye Brook, like most other small towns and villages in Westchester, is also a very safe place to raise a family. In the 34 years that my parents lived in Rye Brook (formerly known as the Town of Rye), their house was not once broken into... and they didn't even have an alarm system (unless you count the family dog, lol).

If you really need a place that has a more traditional downtown area, than any of the rivertowns that were mentioned - Irvington, Dobbs Ferry or Croton-on-Hudson - would be a good choice.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:37 PM

Thanks so much for the info. What are the public schools like in Rye Brook?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,184,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOutOfNYC! View Post
Thanks so much for the info. What are the public schools like in Rye Brook?
To the best of my knowledge, Rye Brook schools have always been highly regarded. A very high percentage of graduates go on to college, and many go on to highly competitive schools. I don't know of specific websites that can give you comparisons to other public schools in Westchester; perhaps a realtor or someone else on the forum would know that.

Since Rye Brook is a small village, there is only 1 elementary school (the Bruno M. Ponterio Ridge Street School, named after a well-respected former Principal there) and 1 high school there (Blind Brook High School). When Blind Brook HS first opened its doors back in the '70s, it was a very modern looking (but ugly, IMO) building that used the open classroom concept. Open classrooms didn't seem to work very well, and later on walls were erected between classrooms. More recently the high school underwent a major renovation and expansion with new athletic fields as well, and looks more like a traditional high school now (and much more aesthetically pleasing, IMO).

Old 12-31-2009, 04:09 PM

69,758 posts, read 96,575,715 times
Here's a couple of good sites to look at and it could help you decided what is a good school district for you:
New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2008&county=Westchester (broken link) / https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/Home.do?year=2008 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County