U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,173,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerhouse View Post
I used to work in P'ville and did the reverse commute to the Upper Westside. From the medical center is very easy and the traffic is not bad. SHort of living in Manhattan, I see others have also mention Hastings - small but does offer some a village to walk around in and has several restaurants. You might also consider downtwon White Plains, which is starting to get kind of interesting, thought not artisitic in my mind. A bit longer commute and you are in Stamford and Norwalk. Norwalk a bit grittier but far more interesting in my mind and better access tot he water. Stamford, bigger, corporate and less artistic. Also , check out Tarrytown on the Hudson. I have not been there for years, but there is some development going on there, but I cannot report on the flavor of the town these days. Good, luck.
I think in the 4 years since the original post, they may have made a decision already.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 02:51 PM

16 posts, read 55,109 times
I like SE Yonkers a lot. It is very Catholic and I am not. But I find people to be incredibly open. If the mostly Northern Irish population is so open to me, with my British sounding name, then I guess they would be open to others. There are no galleries, but there is a great Irish coffee shop and many pubs. It is no slam-dunk for a gay couple, but I think it would be a nice addition that would be accepted and welcomed by most. Everyone I know has kids though so that is our social connection. Others connect via church or Irish groups. My daughter does Irish step dancing.

The truth is that areas like this could easily become artsy very fast. It is as far North of midtown as Park Slope is East. There is a great and thriving center on McClean and through Woodlawn that is very Irish and somewhat Italian, but there is diversity after that. Many multi-family houses. Sidewalks everywhere, which you don't get in most places. I don't know which Pubs would be most comfortable, but the bigger ones are great and diverse. I'm not even comfortable in the little pubs.

It would also give you a reverse commute, which is cheaper. Of course, the biggest plus is that you are on the border of NYC, and 30 min from midtown by train, so you would often find yourselves in the city on weekends. Nothing compares to NYC for gay (or any) couples, but it is pricey to live there, so I think the commute would be worth it, at least a few times a month. We are also near the Botanical Gardens and Bronx zoo. I can't begin to describe the options in the city, but start with the MET. Then for emerging art spend a day in Soho. The West Village and Chelsea are great places to network with many gay couples whenever you want to do that.

I guess it would be best to check with an online gay community that might have direct experience in Westchester. There is no crime in SE Yonkers.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 16,638 times
i'm going to toss Tarrytown into the mix too

its on the Hudson River it has the Music Hall for plays, concerts, etc. it has a large beautiful park right on the river. many antique shops, art galleries, coffee houses that has music from time to time, great restaurants, the North County Bike trail which is 50 miles in length all paved.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM

19 posts, read 48,981 times
Agree washington heights on the Upper West Side is the place for you. Solid 30s and 40s yo gay community (this, from a straight friend who lives there), very diverse, easy access to the best of Manhattan, and you can hop on the Saw Mill Parkway and zip up to Hawthorne in no time.

For something sleepier, I'd suggest Tarrytown. Bohemian vibe, students, some diversity and great river views. There are some really nice new townhouses right on the riverfront in Tarrytown. I'd move there myself were it not for our kids/schools.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 48,981 times
FIVE YEAR OLD POST. I THINK WE CAN ALL LET THIS POST DIE....

Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,436,027 times
ebeleye - many people come to this site to see relevant posts for their own information - not just the original question asker. Thats how I ended up here, and I found a thread where my questions were already answered. I'm sure the OPs aren't the only gay couple thinking about a move to Westchester!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County