Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,379 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Any guidance would be appreciated!

My husband & I are looking to move to Westchester with our young daughter. We've looked into 3 towns already and still haven't found a perfect fit.

We consider ourselves very down to earth people who like to interact with our neighbors and love kid friendly areas. We come from a small tight knit community in queens and hoping to get that plus an area that fits us.

Block parties and community events are right up our alley.

Our price range is 1-1.3M, we are in our early 30's and prefer, walkable not to hilly, family friendly and don't need to flaunt our money even though we have a little

What we saw & why it doesn't fit!

Scarsdale - The reason why we are leaving the upper east side I'll leave it at that : )

Larchmont - loved the kid friendly area, parks location however there are no back yards. I'm not looking for acres but would like a little more green

Pelham Manor - was our favorite of the 3. Loved the back yards, loved seeing kids selling lemonade on blocks and out playing all over the streets. Loved that there were sidewalks everywhere and the houses werent too far apart. Unfortunately the taxes are too high for us and that's something that never goes down. I understand you pay taxes for the schools but one house we looked at for 1.2m had 47,000 in taxes : (

Knowing the above can anyone suggest another area to look at that may be a fit for us !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 AM

133 posts, read 249,256 times
Have you checked Mount Pleasant area? (Pleasantville, Hawthorn, Thornwood, Valhalla). This is family friendly area with excellent schools. I think tax is better here, and I believe you can get more with your$ than where you looked (I don't know the size of house you are looking for). Just be careful with Pleasantville village (has village tax). We have very friendly neighbors and there are kids running around playing outside (rare these days), and we have nice community center with pool. a lots of greens/wooded area.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:39 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,031,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky0409 View Post
We come from a small tight knit community in queens and hoping to get that plus an area that fits us.

Block parties and community events are right up our alley.

Our price range is 1-1.3M, we are in our early 30's and prefer, walkable not to hilly, family friendly and don't need to flaunt our money even though we have a little
Understand that in Westchester "tight knit" communities with block parties aren't generally associated with neighborhoods of $1-1.3mio houses. You're going to need to recalibrate a little.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 AM

2 posts, read 4,379 times
Thanks for the replies.

Kletter1 I'm not necessarily looking to spend that. That's just our max. Will be very happy to spend under that. Can you suggest those communities you mentioned under the 1 m mark. Thanks again

Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,004 times
Pelham definitely has tight knit community with 1.3 mil houses. That exists in Westchester. But, agree that the taxes are high.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM

64 posts, read 203,766 times
How big a house are you looking for and how much yard? And how much is too much for taxes? It's Westchester - the taxes are ridiculous. Decide what is most important and go from there. If you want the community feel, maybe you have to sacrifice a bit of yard to help the taxes go down? Or one less bedroom or bathroom? Or buy a $700K house that needs a new kitchen, but has a nice yard. For instance, a quick search of the MLS came up with this for $780 in Pelham with a half acre - $25K taxes.

6 Shoreview Cir, Pelham NY 10803, MLS #3228068, Weichert.com

Also, things will start going on the market now with school coming to an end. Maybe some stuff will pop up that would work. I agree Pleasantville would be a nice choice. Maybe Hastings? I don't know about the 'community' feel but it has a quaint downtown.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,495 times
You can also get more for your money in Mamaroneck than Larchmont, and have the same MS and HS. Different vibes, but still nice.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 AM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
You can also get more for your money in Mamaroneck than Larchmont, and have the same MS and HS. Different vibes, but still nice.
Yes, keep an eye on things in Orienta, something could definitely pop up in your price range, and you'll get more yard than in Larchmont. The neighborhood is fabulous.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Yes, take a look at Orienta or Shore Acres. Not the 5-6 million dollar palaces with Sound beaches, but those on the inlets and slightly inland, some of those have larger lots.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Also the Greenhaven section, which is a bit Mamaroneck village and a bit Rye; the HS is Rye Neck HS. However, places there tend to be more expensive than Larchmont or the rest of Mamaroneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County