U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'll be moving to New York for a short stint to work 3 months at Mount Vernon Hospital. Hoping you can help me out with some suggestions on neighbourhood's that i can get a short term rental.
Things to consider:
- 30 yr old women, safety is a concern
- not sure what my hours will be like so a short, easy commute would be appreciated
- if i lived in the upper east or west side of Manhatten, does anyone know what the public transportation is like getting to Mount Vernon Hospital.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Status: "Getting by in the age of corona" (set 29 days ago)

10,545 posts, read 16,928,080 times
Are you the person who started a thread a couple of weeks or months ago about walking to the Metro North station from Mt. Vernon Hospital? Actually I see you are not (as you show only one post, unless you came back on with a different ID).

The areas of Manhattan you mention are extremely expensive (as is the train commute) and the Metro North station that is walkable from the hospital (Mt. Vernon East) can be sketchy late at night (usually safe, though about 20 years ago I commuted from there to NYC for about 2 years and one time came back at 10:30 at night and someone followed me and bugged me in a drunken tone, though he didn't accost me, I was a short but pretty strong looking early 20-ish male though).

Personally if you are only going to be there 3 months, you might want to try to live in Mt. Vernon near the hospital. The neighborhoods north of the hospital are not too bad and it is quiet at night for walking to them, many of the houses are multi-family houses with little apartments on the top floor, maybe you will luck out and one will be available for a short-term rental. Also, maybe someone will know more about this, but see what bus lines are walkable from the hospital, then you can live anywhere along the bus line (they run pretty late). I would avoid the areas south of the hospital (basically over the Metro North tracks).

Though you have to be careful on there, Craigslist usually lists short term sublets, etc.

By the way, I'm glad to hear that Mt. Vernon Hospital still hires. There have been rumors (and much protest) of it closing. I was born there a long time ago (and they haven't had a maternity ward since 2001).

Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
We need an apartment for my daughter who was just accepted at the nursing school {kofer} i think that is the name.
Anyway she starts in the fall,so we need an apartment for at least 2 yrs…please contact me here or at afitzy12002@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County