Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 122,598 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Does anyone have AT&T as their cell phone service provider in Northern Westchester? I live in Katonah and am considering getting an iPhone but am concerned about the reception quality etc.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
I recently got an Iphone with AT&T and it works much better than my Verizon phone did. I get reception in lots of places that I never used to. There are scattered "dead zones" here and there, but overall better coverage than I've had in the past. I did use it recently at Perks coffee house in Katonah, and last weekend I used it at Muscoot Farm (which used to be a total dead zone with Verizon). It also works very well in Mt Kisco, Yorktown Heights, Croton, and Peekskill. (In the city, the opposite is true--Verizon seemed more reliable and faster). On the train to the city reception comes in and out.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:02 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I actually disagree. From our place (near Bedford) I could never get a signal with AT&T. On Verizon it works all the time...

Old 01-26-2010, 04:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim324 View Post
Hi all,
Does anyone have AT&T as their cell phone service provider in Northern Westchester? I live in Katonah and am considering getting an iPhone but am concerned about the reception quality etc.
Thanks in advance!
Wait. Rumor has it, iphone will be offered on numerous carriers soon.

ATT service in this area isn't great but it basically works. Lots of dropped calls but those rollover minutes save me a bundle.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:47 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
In recent years cell phone service in northern Westchester has greatly improved, though if it helps any, the owner of the place I used to work for lives in Cortlandt Manor and uses Sprint because it's the only one that works inside his home.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I never have an issue in Northern Westchester with Verizon, and had horrible trouble with AT&T. I want an iPhone too, but I am not giving up Verizon, so I have to make do with an iPod Touch, which can pick up free WiFi as opposed to the iPhone with constant connection.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I never have an issue in Northern Westchester with Verizon, and had horrible trouble with AT&T. I want an iPhone too, but I am not giving up Verizon, so I have to make do with an iPod Touch, which can pick up free WiFi as opposed to the iPhone with constant connection.
My experience has totally been the opposite. We dropped Verizon because it was useless up here. My wife works in Mt. Kisco and her cellphone never worked in the office or anywhere in the area. I used to have to look for pay phones when I wanted to call from the train station. The iPhone works perfectly for her in Kisco and it works for me wherever I am in the area. I would never go back.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM

32 posts, read 122,598 times
Hi all,

I just now got the email notice that there'd been replies to my post -- Thank you all for your input!

I'm still on the fence about the iPhone in general, but it's good to know that AT&T (or whatever carriers end up supporting the iPhone) might not be a total disaster in this area. Funny how the experiences can differ so much within the same small geographic radius.... I guess it's always a bit of a gamble. Even within our house (with Sprint) there are "dead zones" and areas of almost perfect reception. Go figure.

Thanks again for your replies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County