U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM

28 posts, read 133,233 times

Advertisements

I've read some info on all 4 of these towns, but am looking for any comments from those of you who live there, or know the communities well. My husband and I are looking to move to a town that has natural beauty, (like a Katonah, Cold Spring, Irvington), is not more than 40min commute on metro to GC, has excellent schools (we have a 4yr old and a baby on the way), and where the vibe is down to earth. Would be nice if town had some basic amenities like a good deli, supermarket, various stores on it's main st. to keep us from hopping in the car for every little thing. But i know that in that area, all the towns are a hop skip and a jump away. Our price range is up to 724k with taxes below 15k, for a 3 or 4 bedroom/2 bath with attic or basement that could be office or extra bedroom space. Walking distance to train station would be ideal as well. From Greatschools.org, it seems the schools in these towns are at least an 8. And if they aren't that high, the parent comments are praising. Thank you for any feedback!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,294,643 times
If you're looking for a commute of 40 minutes or less, look from White Plains on SOUTH, not North. Bedford Hills is a little over an hour on the train. Better yet, take a look at the MetroNorth schedule to gauge how long commutes are.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:28 PM

1,316 posts, read 4,863,977 times
You should consider Croton-- the train is 43 to 48 minutes (depending on which one) and it meets your other criteria too. It has tremendous natural beauty, good schools, and the vibe is down to earth. The commercial offerings aren't great and are a bit spread out, but it has all the basics in-town (including an excellent gourmet market, good coffee house, homemade ice cream place, and some nice delis and restaurants) and is close enough to everything else. For 725K you'll have some choices and can get a medium-size house on an acre outside of the village center or an in-town house. the taxes vary a great deal, so you'll have to take that house-by-house.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM

thanks for your replies. We've been to and heard many suggestions for Croton, but are looking for other areas besides it. I guess what I'd like to hear are any comments from those who know the towns we're looking at this week. The list keeps shuffling.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 24,119 times
Default Mt. Pleasant is great.

We moved from NYC to Thornwood 11 years ago. We love it. First the town is safe and convenient, and tax is modest. I work at midtown, it is 42 min. to Grand central via metro-north. 5 min. driving to mayjor highways (saw mill, sprain, taconic, I-287). Mt. Plesant Schools are great, and are getting better based on NYS ranking. Especially Columbus Elementry school and Westlake Middle school are even comparable to Scarsdale or Rye's schools. High school has been consistently sending around a few students to Ivy league in recent years. But housing is much more affordable than Scarsdale or Rye. We enjoyed town pool in the summer with around $350 for a family. Shopping is easy at A&P, Shoprite, Stop&shop near by.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Update: We went through Westchester a few weekends ago. Mount Kisco was more impressive the 2nd time around. I guess because the first time, we saw it on a busy day, and I thought it was just too big. Now, having walked around a bit, we came to like it's variety of stores and movie theater. Plus it wasn't as busy this time around. Valhalla and Thornwood were disappointing. The towns seemed depressed and not places we'd want to walk around in. Scarsdale and Edgemont were also high lights of the trip, although, I still wonder about finding affordable housing there. Hastings on the Hudson was also eye opening with our fantastic lunch at a new cafe on the Main St. It's too bad the water front is so closed off and visually not as nice as Irvington or Cold Spring, but it's hard to beat the proximity to Grand Central. Bedford, is a bit too far from GC, clocking in at an hour commute.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:43 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,148,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny718 View Post
Update: We went through Westchester a few weekends ago. Mount Kisco was more impressive the 2nd time around. I guess because the first time, we saw it on a busy day, and I thought it was just too big. Now, having walked around a bit, we came to like it's variety of stores and movie theater. Plus it wasn't as busy this time around. Valhalla and Thornwood were disappointing. The towns seemed depressed and not places we'd want to walk around in. Scarsdale and Edgemont were also high lights of the trip, although, I still wonder about finding affordable housing there. Hastings on the Hudson was also eye opening with our fantastic lunch at a new cafe on the Main St. It's too bad the water front is so closed off and visually not as nice as Irvington or Cold Spring, but it's hard to beat the proximity to Grand Central. Bedford, is a bit too far from GC, clocking in at an hour commute.
Of all those towns, Scarsdale, Edgemont, Hastings and Irvington have the best school systems and are priced accordingly.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:29 AM

218 posts, read 545,855 times
It sounds like you value walkable downtown areas with a variety of stores. If this is high on your list, I also recommend checking out Bronxville, Pleasantville, Dobbs Ferry, and Mamaroneck. All 4 towns also meet your commute requirement. Schools are great for the first 3, and they're all priced accordingly. Mamaroneck may be a bit cheaper and I'm sure the schools are fine.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 AM

103 posts, read 421,854 times
I would also suggest checking out Pleasantville - commute to Grand Central is great, and you can walk everywhere!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM

395 posts, read 1,501,948 times
Pleasantville and Chappaqua both do have the natural beauty and town center you are looking for. Pleasantville is a more walkable but really only if you live in the "village" which always has pretty limited inventory especially in your price range. Both Chappaqua and Pleasantville have express trains that are 46 - 48 minutes to GCT but Chappaqua has a larger station with more parking and more trains per hour. Both are also convenient to Mt Kisco. You can't go wrong with either school district - Chappaqua is larger and has more of an elite/high pressure reputation for its high school, Horace Greeley (with top SAT scores to show for it, if that is important to you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County