U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,619 times

Advertisements

Hi folks... I posted something a few days ago about the sort-of new condo's across from Columbus Park (I think I mistakenly said Central Park at the time). We went to look at it again today and like the building and the general area but we saw something that made my partner wonder and I'd like to get some opinions of folks who might live in the area.

Mod cut Trying not to make any pre-judgements I did some research at home and found that there is a large population of day laborers that hang around that particular area (what we saw).

My question is.. how safe is the area now knowing this? Particularly does anyone have any experience with coming home on a late night train and walking through that area especially the park and whether or not there are any issues with these day laborers.

Have any of you heard of any day-to-day issues with them.. for example causing fights, being arrested, etc..

We are trying to figure if my partner would be safe enough coming late at night on her own walking through the park to the condo unit.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-17-2010 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: not necessary to specify where you THINK these people are from.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:58 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,911,579 times
are you kidding me?

The immigrants have come through and added life and revitalization to that area (that part of mamaroneck avenue in particular). To be honest, just reading your post has made my stomach flip. This is one of the safest and pleasant areas in the county.

If the thought pops in your head that you feel you wouldn't be safe around an immigrant community than maybe you should just look elsewhere. I know the area, very well, and in particular just the thought of being robbed or hurt over there is ridiculous. Crime, violent crime can happen anywhere, even in the most vanilla area's you can still be subject and victim to crime.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,130,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
are you kidding me?

The immigrants have come through and added life and revitalization to that area (that part of Mamaroneck avenue in particular). To be honest, just reading your post has made my stomach flip. This is one of the safest and pleasant areas in the county.

If the thought pops in your head that you feel you wouldn't be safe around an immigrant community than maybe you should just look elsewhere. I know the area, very well, and in particular just the thought of being robbed or hurt over there is ridiculous. Crime, violent crime can happen anywhere, even in the most vanilla area's you can still be subject and victim to crime.
That's not exactly true. It sounds like the OP is a woman and I think they have a valid concern. It wasn't that long ago the day laborers were such a problem Mamaroneck attempted to close down the areas they hung out to find work.

Of course in an area as PC as this a federal judge decided Mamaroneck was discriminating by race, and if you are honest you will admit what happened. The commercial strip of Mamaroneck Ave filled with stores and restaurants and the theater became a very unpleasant stretch during the day.

I know any number of women who got sick and tired of the comments and catcalls while trying to shop during the day. Many haven't bothered to go back.

Have immigrants added to the area? You bet. Have they created problems? Of course. A single woman walking through Columbus Park at night has every right to be concerned, and it's silly to pretend the area is filled with warm, loving people who have nothing but their best interests in mind.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,424 times
This is a wonderful place, very safe and amazing during the summer.
I know some young couples from this building who are very happy with their purchase.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,879 times
Yes. day laborers hang out in and around Columbus Park as they have done for more than 40 years: Italians, Polish, Irish and more recently, Hispanics. This lady should do her homework. The day laborers pose no threat or danger to anyone in that area. She should be very concerned and start asking hard questions about floods...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:50 PM

The building has flood insurance.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,911,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
That's not exactly true. It sounds like the OP is a woman and I think they have a valid concern. It wasn't that long ago the day laborers were such a problem Mamaroneck attempted to close down the areas they hung out to find work.

Of course in an area as PC as this a federal judge decided Mamaroneck was discriminating by race, and if you are honest you will admit what happened. The commercial strip of Mamaroneck Ave filled with stores and restaurants and the theater became a very unpleasant stretch during the day.

I know any number of women who got sick and tired of the comments and catcalls while trying to shop during the day. Many haven't bothered to go back.

Have immigrants added to the area? You bet. Have they created problems? Of course. A single woman walking through Columbus Park at night has every right to be concerned, and it's silly to pretend the area is filled with warm, loving people who have nothing but their best interests in mind.
Are you kidding me? that area is mostly filled with down to earth people.
A few immigrants show up, and the bigots think the avenue is going to transform into elm street overnight. As it stands in my book thats one of the safest streets in the county, in my lifetime it's always had a homey vibe to it.

of course that doesn't mean you should let your guard down.

that's common sense

I remember when that case went down, I thought the judgement was fair. If you want to be honest about the situation you won't deny ignorance in the former town trustees words. Take a sample of the large volume of distasteful comments posted on sites like Lo Hud and you'll get a bigger picture of the ignorance and cowardice circling that whole situation. It really is disgusting

Thats about all I say on that.

I'll say it again
This is one of the safest parts places that you can be, nothing to worry about very pleasant. You can't go wrong with the metro north close by and harbour island right down the street.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Gunman holds up woman in Mamaroneck town | LoHud.com | The Journal News

Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM

9,948 posts, read 16,060,875 times
I would say that with crime in general, day laborers are not an issue unless for some dumb reason you bother them in a way that is none of your business in a provoking manner.

However, if she is a fairly attractive young woman, she may get whistled/catcalled at, something that is stereotypical of construction crews, etc. too, and not simply the "day labor in waiting" population (and I want to emphasize MAY and not WILL). But again I think if she pays no mind I wouldn't worry from a safety standpoint. I don't know anyone who considers Mamaroneck to be unsafe from a "gangsta/ghetto" stanpoint (and even there, except for maybe 'getting caught in the crossfire' a lot of times you're OK if you're not the one making waves or are not yourself involved in gang activity/drug trafficking/prostitution etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County