U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:25 PM

41 posts, read 63,274 times

Advertisements

My fiance has one week from Monday to decide if we want to relocate from sunny and warm Los Angeles to New York, specifically Tarrytown. We know absolutely nothing about the area, so some advice would be appreciated. We'd like to rent a 1-or 2-bedroom apartment for roughly $1500 or below, in unit washer/dryer and cat friendly. We're a mixed-race couple (Asian/white) in our mid-twenties, if that makes a difference. No kids. Where should be be looking to live? Shopping isn't important, but we're total foodies. Walking distance to restaurants would be very important. A good farmer's market in the area would be a bonus. What's the employment picture like? I'm an analytical chemist, and his raise would be useless if I can't find a job easily. Anything that would help us make this decision would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM

10,919 posts, read 28,773,277 times
If you want a nice village with some decent restaurants, that might preclude some of the smaller areas of the county. Larchmont would be a good choice, and the commute is not arduous to get to Tarrytown. Similarly, if you were to secure a position in NYC or Connecticut, Larchmont would not be a bad commute option, though your budget is probably in the 1BR range, but you might find a smaller 2BR in the village as well, just not as many.

If you want more of an urban lifestyle, I would look to White Plains. Again, it's an easy commute for Tarrytown, Connecticut, the rest of Westchester, and NYC. There are a number of food options in the city, itself, and you're not terribly far from other areas that have great dining options as well in Westchester, Greenwich, and NYC is a quick train ride away.

If your proposed work location is in NNJ, however, you might do better to live across the river in Rockland, though the foodie culture is not as strong as in other areas. Places like Nyack would be an option, since it's not too far to Tarrytown, but the Tappan Zee can be frustrating; however, it would save a good deal of time if you had to go to NNJ.

Mixed-race couples are not different at all in Westchester, so I would not worry about that at all, since it's a sophisticated area. There is much to like about Westchester, and there are some recent Californian transplants who post on the Westchester forum and do seem to like Westchester, so I think it's worth considering. There's more of a foodie culture in NYC, to be sure, but there are some good offerings in Westchester, though it does tend to be a bit more suburban, save for areas like White Plains.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

70,160 posts, read 96,955,288 times
What about Nyack, just across the bridge from Tarrytown? It is a small, diverse community with an Arts scene, nice restaurants and good nightlife for a community of it's size. Village of Nyack Home Page
Nyack, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Farmers' Markets - Rockland County (http://www.nyfarmersmarket.com/regionmetrorockland.htm - broken link)
HudsonValleyNightlife.com :: Venue list
Edward Hopper House Art Center
Nyack Merchants Committee | Art Walk | Nyack, NY
Rockland Center for the Arts
Restaurants Nyack NY New York + Fine Dining - City Guide

Old 01-23-2010, 04:50 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,351,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Nyack, just across the bridge from Tarrytown? It is a small, diverse community with an Arts scene, nice restaurants and good nightlife for a community of it's size. Village of Nyack Home Page
Nyack, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Farmers' Markets - Rockland County (http://www.nyfarmersmarket.com/regionmetrorockland.htm - broken link)
HudsonValleyNightlife.com :: Venue list
Edward Hopper House Art Center
Nyack Merchants Committee | Art Walk | Nyack, NY
Rockland Center for the Arts
Restaurants Nyack NY New York + Fine Dining - City Guide
I wouldn't wish a daily trek across the Tappan Zee bridge on ANYONE. It's a nightmare. And it makes getting to NYC a TRUE PAIN.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I wouldn't wish a daily trek across the Tappan Zee bridge on ANYONE. It's a nightmare. And it makes getting to NYC a TRUE PAIN.
Isn't the OP's fiance working in Tarrytown though?

Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM

10,389 posts, read 16,657,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Mixed-race couples are not different at all in Westchester, so I would not worry about that at all, since it's a sophisticated area. There is much to like about Westchester, and there are some recent Californian transplants who post on the Westchester forum and do seem to like Westchester, so I think it's worth considering. There's more of a foodie culture in NYC, to be sure, but there are some good offerings in Westchester, though it does tend to be a bit more suburban, save for areas like White Plains.
And for that matter, from observation I can see that white-Asian is the most common kind of mixed race couple in Westchester (though white-black is gaining fast).

Old 01-24-2010, 05:27 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,351,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't the OP's fiance working in Tarrytown though?
Yes, it's AWFUL. And SHE wants to work in Manhattan. Another nightmare. You're up in Syracuse, so I'm not sure you have a grasp on how terrible getting across the Hudson is during commuting hours.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Yes, it's AWFUL. And SHE wants to work in Manhattan. Another nightmare. You're up in Syracuse, so I'm not sure you have a grasp on how terrible getting across the Hudson is during commuting hours.
I get it now. Yeah, I have some idea of the traffic and that would be tough.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:44 AM

41 posts, read 63,274 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad the mixed-race thing doesn't matter. I never think it should, but then I run into places where it does. I don't really want to work in Manhattan necessarily. I just want to work!

Umm, why is working in Tarrytown awful? And is going across this bridge worse than the 405 in rush hour?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlyn142 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm glad the mixed-race thing doesn't matter. I never think it should, but then I run into places where it does. I don't really want to work in Manhattan necessarily. I just want to work!

Umm, why is working in Tarrytown awful? And is going across this bridge worse than the 405 in rush hour?
I think Viral meant that the commute from Nyack to Manhattan is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County