U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
 
217 posts, read 766,877 times
Reputation: 75

Advertisements

My girlfriend just got a job in Times Square. We are currently debating Yonkers as it allows us to take the subway into Manhattan and not deal with Metro North. Aside from the expense of MetroNorth, we have a dog that could probably make bout 10 hours day before needing to be let out. Most places north of Woodlawn would make it difficult to work a typical day and make it back in time. A few questions about Yonkers:

1) How is this in regards to crime? Safety? What areas/streets should we be looking for?
2) How long is it from the #4 train to Grand Central (Round-bout) for a weekday? This train is 24/7? We also didn't want MetroNorth as we didn't want to have to worry about getting left behind and not have a ride back.
3) Taxes. No NYC tax but 10% of your NYS taxed debt? Can anyone confirm?
4) Parking. Is off street parking safe? Are their lots?
5) Grocery markets nearby? Malls? What's the nearest?

I'd love to stay in NY and I'd definately love to be near NY Yankee Stadium so hopefully this is a better choice for us than NJ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
 
975 posts, read 3,563,704 times
Reputation: 263
Some parts of Yonkers are incredibly dismal, although I've walked through them during the day (and my doctor is in Yonkers) and nothing has ever happened. At night--I don't know. The McLean Ave. area seems to be pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgosto View Post
My girlfriend just got a job in Times Square. We are currently debating Yonkers as it allows us to take the subway into Manhattan and not deal with Metro North. Aside from the expense of MetroNorth, we have a dog that could probably make bout 10 hours day before needing to be let out. Most places north of Woodlawn would make it difficult to work a typical day and make it back in time. A few questions about Yonkers:

1) How is this in regards to crime? Safety? What areas/streets should we be looking for?
2) How long is it from the #4 train to Grand Central (Round-bout) for a weekday? This train is 24/7? We also didn't want MetroNorth as we didn't want to have to worry about getting left behind and not have a ride back.
3) Taxes. No NYC tax but 10% of your NYS taxed debt? Can anyone confirm?
4) Parking. Is off street parking safe? Are their lots?
5) Grocery markets nearby? Malls? What's the nearest?

I'd love to stay in NY and I'd definately love to be near NY Yankee Stadium so hopefully this is a better choice for us than NJ.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:52 PM
 
217 posts, read 766,877 times
Reputation: 75
I guess it's considered not Yonkers but Bronx and I'd hafta pay NYC tax. Man, everywhere I turn, there's a gotcha.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,716,697 times
Reputation: 1108
Eastern Yonkers is the area you are going to be looking at. Southwestern yonkers is a No-go area unless you like the thought of living in a public housing project. The areas in Yonkers east of the Sprain Brook parkway are very nice though.

The area around McLean ave are quite active with lots of bars and restaurants (specifically of the Irish variety). There are also a lot of Italian people living in the area. Woodlawn in the Bronx is another option. In Woodlawn you can catch the 34 bus to the 4 train and take that down. It is very convienient. It is definitely quicker to take MetroNorth but it will cost you a lot more money, plus Metro North does not run 24/7.

See my PM that I just sent you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM
 
217 posts, read 766,877 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Eastern Yonkers is the area you are going to be looking at. Southwestern yonkers is a No-go area unless you like the thought of living in a public housing project. The areas in Yonkers east of the Sprain Brook parkway are very nice though.

The area around McLean ave are quite active with lots of bars and restaurants (specifically of the Irish variety). There are also a lot of Italian people living in the area. Woodlawn in the Bronx is another option. In Woodlawn you can catch the 34 bus to the 4 train and take that down. It is very convienient. It is definitely quicker to take MetroNorth but it will cost you a lot more money, plus Metro North does not run 24/7.

See my PM that I just sent you.
Thanks. Yea, we are definately considering Woodlawn but the damn subway is way south of Woodlawn and Jerome isn't very nice from what I read.I need to read up on the 34 bus and see when that runs. We specifically like Woodlawn to avoid the NYC tax (Yonkers right?) and for weekend outings past the last train of MetroNorth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 07:50 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 36,324,816 times
Reputation: 4075
The NYC subway, by the way, does NOT go to Yonkers...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
 
217 posts, read 766,877 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
The NYC subway, by the way, does NOT go to Yonkers...
I think you misread what I said. The #4 train has a Woodlawn stop. Part of Woodlawn is considered Yonkers. At the time, I did not know that this Woodlawn station was south of the residential area of Woodlawn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:23 AM
 
975 posts, read 3,563,704 times
Reputation: 263
I'm pretty sure Woodlawn is not part of Yonkers--in any event you are going to have to take a bus to get to a subway station from yonkers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:25 AM
 
975 posts, read 3,563,704 times
Reputation: 263
you can park safely off street in Riverdale, FYI. It's often annoying to find a spot, but definitely doable. I've only had the car broken into one time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2007, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 15,716,697 times
Reputation: 1108
You mean the 1 train in Kingsbridge? There's no subway in Riverdale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:17 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top