Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM

6 posts, read 47,724 times

Advertisements

Hi! I toured the Brooklyn New School today which has a very progressive curriculum for a public school. I got to wondering if there was anything similar in Westchester? Has anyone run across anything like this?

Thanks!
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
What do you mean by a progressive curriculum?

Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 47,724 times
The school I visited basis their curriculum off the Bank St model that follows the idea of a child led education. They still use the NY state curriculum but will do extra projects and have a good mix of art and music. They try to use all the different ways of learning to teach the children. Also, once testing starts, they use self-evaluations instead instead of the standardized tests every six weeks. They do take the 3rd grade test that all students take here in the city. Finally, they also take field trips every 2 weeks or so to take the learning into the community as well as to community service as part of their regular routines. I found it soooo appealing, but we are pretty committed to moving out of Brooklyn to find more space, backyard, etc.

Thanks!
Carolyn

Here's a link to the description by the school: BNS Curriculum

Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but sadly I don't think any Westchester Public Schools have a Bank Street/project approach curriculum. There are private schools that do, however--and plenty of preschools. Interestingly, the overall poor quality of education in city schools has led to the creation of some charter schools with very progressive approaches. Since schools are pretty good in Westchester, there is less impetus for parents to go through the great trouble of founding a charter school. As a Bank Street graduate, it makes me glad to see the model live on outside of private schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County