U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 327,959 times

Advertisements

I have read that some parts of white plains and hartsdale are served by ardsley schools. Does anyone know which areas or zip codes in those 2 cities would be covered so I can look up real estate prices?

The reason I ask is that I like the special education services in ardsley but would like to avoid the high taxes....I know that wp and hartsdale have lower property tax but perhaps the lower taxes get cancelled out in these areas due to being in ardsleys school district. Don't know.

Anyway, I'd love to do more research on the areas. Any replies are greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:20 PM

132 posts, read 480,033 times
If you go to any westchester based real estate agency, you can look up houses by school district. I know houlian lawrence lets you. It's more complicated (the boundaries) then just zip code. The whole system is a bit bonkers but you can get a sense of how much houses in Ardsley district are from the real estate agency. Parts of Dobbs Ferry also feeds into Ardsley (we're renting a house there now with our kids in the Ardsley schools).

Good Luck!

Send me an email if you want a link to one of the sites. I think I'm not suppose to post it on here directly.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:37 PM

375 posts, read 1,453,715 times
I think, if you were to find a such section, then it would be taxed like Ardsley.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:37 PM

10,365 posts, read 16,603,585 times
I'm almost certain that your property taxes are based on school district, not town. I didn't know that parts of White Plains and Hartsdale were Ardsley schools, but I know most of the eastern part of Dobbs Ferry that borders Ardsley is; I imagine they pay Ardsley school taxes and not Dobbs Ferry.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM

223 posts, read 757,736 times
there are different pieces to your tax bill. Only a portion is school tax, the rest is for the town/village. But the school tax usually is the biggest piece

Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 PM

2,405 posts, read 5,629,768 times
That area just has a White Plains mailing address. It is not in the City of White Plains, it is the Town of Greenburgh. Taxes should be just as high as if you had an Ardsley mailing address.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
thanks so much for the replies.

mclairch, thanks for the advice. Mod cutit didnt even occur to me to look by school rather than town. i have checked out that feature and its great. ps...how do you like living in dobbs?

mfenimore...thanks. i guess i need to take those other taxes into account too, and i have heard that the taxes are the highest portion.

lightning mcqueen, 7 wishes and rubygreta....i figured as such on the higher tax thing, i guess it was just wishful thinking that i could find a loophole somewhere.

after searching some areas based on ardsley schools, i saw how the division works...ardsley, wp, hartsdale po, greenburgh town, ardsley schools. higher taxes but not exhorbitant, except for greenburgh. at least i am getting a better understanding now.

thanks again!!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-06-2010 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: Please do NOT mention real estate sites by name. It gives them an unfair advantage.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:56 PM

132 posts, read 480,033 times
We're liking Dobbs Ferry well enough. People are nice etc. I am still sorta confused by the whole Westchester PO box vs. village vs. school district thingy. It was pretty straight forward in the Midwest- town=po adress= school district. I'm having some trouble getting a sense of community but we just got here and it's winter. I recall that the spring thaw often leads to getting a better sense of space etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 PM

124 posts, read 652,475 times
The Greenburgh town tax is at the top in Westchester and it is shooting up with all the federal, state and town budget deficit. It can keep raising property tax because of its close proximity to NYC and central location in Westchester. Even scarsdale manages has better tax rate than Greenburgh. I know some other school districts have good special ed programs too, e.g. Pleasantville. Maybe it's worth exploring.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM

Mclairch, glad you are happy so far. I do think it takes a bit of time to get acclimated to anywhere you go to. and yes, I am still confused by all of the different town/city stuff and I grew up in westchester. We have friends in new Rochelle with a Scarsdale po. Hopefully you'll get a better sense once the frost clears.

PEmom, those greenburgh taxes are awful, especially considering the schools aren't that great. For that matter, I'd just as soon move to mamaroneck/larchmont which is my number 1 choice.

And thanks for the pville suggestion, I was already looking into it and it's surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County