U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 11:48 AM

82 posts, read 307,827 times

Advertisements

I would like to ask those who commute by car from New Rochelle to NYC how much time it takes. Is it bearable? Or stop and go? I will need be driving to upper east. The maps seem to suggest that this portion of FDR Dr is constantly jammed. Is it true?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,674,879 times
I don't commute, but the FDR is catch-as-catch can. Sometimes it's OK (never 'good') and sometimes it's horrendous. Worse is what it costs to PARK a car during the day.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:13 PM

10,639 posts, read 17,108,000 times
Also, it's quite easy to train it to Manhattan's East Side from New Rochelle......probably not worth the drive and cost of parking, especially if it's during rush hour.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Also, it's quite easy to train it to Manhattan's East Side from New Rochelle......probably not worth the drive and cost of parking, especially if it's during rush hour.
I know about the costs, I need to know about the time and driving conditions. It's strange that nobody seems to know, the info about NR states "60% driving to work, 12% carpooling, 18% traveling via public-transportation and 7% using other means." I would only assume that most of those 72% driving to Manhattan.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 AM

In theory you can drive to Manhattan in 30-45 minutes, but there's a lot of variation in traffic conditions and how quickly you can park, etc. A lot of the people who drive to Manhattan drive to upper Manhattan (closer and less parking issues) or sometimes to places where you have to first take a cab or subway after leaving Grand Central (which could be your case since I don't know exactly where on the East Side you're going).

Keep in mind that a LOT of the 60% who drive to work are not necessarily driving to Manhattan, they are more likely driving to (in order) other parts of Westchester (near AND far, I used to drive to Peekskill from what is essentially on the border of New Rochelle), Connecticut (Stamford/Norwalk, though I know one person who drives to Danbury and I now go 3 days/week temporarily to Bridgeport), the Bronx and other outer boros, NJ, Rockland, and even Long Island.

I hope that helps!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 PM

2,533 posts, read 6,334,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4ever View Post
I know about the costs, I need to know about the time and driving conditions. It's strange that nobody seems to know, the info about NR states "60% driving to work, 12% carpooling, 18% traveling via public-transportation and 7% using other means." I would only assume that most of those 72% driving to Manhattan.
Nobody seems to know because commuting to the UES from New Rochelle is such an odd proposition. Nevertheless, I know. The short answer is, it's horrendous. Could be 30 minutes one day, but 90 another. You'll deal with stress-inducing maniacs on the Bruckner and have to thread the Triborough or Willis Ave bridges (or is it 3rd ave?). There's going to be stop-and-go on a daily basis in both directions. Could you do it? Sure. But why would you want to? The train ride is very short, and even shorter if you can use the 125th St. station. On the face of it it just doesn't make sense.

As for these stats, 72% of New Rochelle commuters most assuredly do not commute to Manhattan by car on a daily basis.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 02-08-2010 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Nobody seems to know because commuting to the UES from New Rochelle is such an odd proposition.
Ok, then I promise to share my experience in the future.

Quote:
Could be 30 minutes one day, but 90 another.
Doesn't sound that bad. I've been checking NAVTEQ maps lately, and it seems like the most common morning/evening commute time is 30-45 min. Of course, it's twice as slow as I used to commute to work before, but it's not the end of the world.

Quote:
But why would you want to?
I find that very interesting. Just like every New Yorker seems to be addicted to public transit, every Californian is addicted to his car. Don't you understand, I can't stand the crowds, I feel comfortable only when I'm in my car, driving by myself, I enjoy it!

Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
I find that very interesting. Just like every New Yorker seems to be addicted to public transit, every Californian is addicted to his car. Don't you understand, I can't stand the crowds, I feel comfortable only when I'm in my car, driving by myself, I enjoy it!
I'm lifelong native to the area, and I actually understand you. But that's why I've tried not to work in Manhattan. The years I did work (89-91, some of the week 91-93, then about 6 months last year for a consulting assignment) there I "trained" it.

As elsewhere noted, I'm sure much of the "72% driving" figure is not to Manhattan. Not everyone who lives around here works there.....

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Well, OK. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that Californians are as much addicted to cars as forced into them by the lack of a viable mass transit. And by viable, I mean rail or light rail. Sitting in a bus is arguably worse than sitting your own car, to be sure. You're actually the only Californian that I've ever heard from that preferred driving when there was the alternative of an easy, functioning mass transit system that would, on average, be faster than driving. For the overwhelming number of Californians this alternative simply doesn't exist.

Anyway, your enjoyment may diminish after a few months of dealing with the Triborough &/or 3rd Ave &/or Willis Ave bridges and their respective approaches. The road surface is positively third world. Hopefully your vehicle has lots of suspension travel to manage the potholes and steel plates. We look forward to hearing back on your experience.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The maps seem to suggest that this portion of FDR Dr is constantly jammed. Is it true?
Sorry, I didn't respond specifically. Yes, it's true, at least during rush hour. It's true a lot non-rush times too.

I had an employee that reverse-commuted by car from E. 84th & Third to New Rochelle for a year. The reverse commute isn't nearly as bad. With no construction, breakdowns, accidents etc it could take as little as 25 minutes up the FDR, over the Willis Ave Br to the Bruckner to the Hutch to I-95 and off at New Rochelle. You could do it in 20 minutes at 2AM. Normally, however, it was more like 45 minutes to an hour. 90 minutes wasn't uncommon. And that's the reverse commute. She moved to New Rochelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>