U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM

9,948 posts, read 16,066,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post

5) colder - that's true. but i really don't think that's a big deal. Everything is cheaper and less crowded (but less / no diversity) if you go further north, which should more than offset your slightly higher heating bill. That's just a trade off.
I was thinking more in terms of it snowing "up north" where you're running late/having trouble getting to work to a place where it's raining and they're wrongly holding it against you. Otherwise, not a big deal. As I said I was straining to find cons it was #5 on my list.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM

374 posts, read 947,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post

3. Great stock of homes ranging from 1700's farmhouses to 1920's Tudors to 50's modern classics.
I'm confused by this pro. It's more like a con to me. Really expensive old houses seems like a con to me. Another con is that the supply of new houses is very low in lower Westchester. So when you buy one of these old houses, you will be spending quite a lot of money to make them modern.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM

7,079 posts, read 35,829,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
I'm confused by this pro. It's more like a con to me. Really expensive old houses seems like a con to me. Another con is that the supply of new houses is very low in lower Westchester. So when you buy one of these old houses, you will be spending quite a lot of money to make them modern.
Not everyone wants to live in a 'modern' house. For many there is infinitely more charm in an older home with character. And many of these older homes have updated kitchens and baths.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,781,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
One person's pro is another's con. Obviously, it depends on what you're after. Personally, the less new construction the better. When we looked for a house (the whole 14 months and well over 100 houses) we never set foot into any new construction (or anything from the last 20 years, for that matter) because we simply weren't interested. In looking for areas that we might want to live in, one major criteria for us was a good supply of older homes. We ended up buying a farmhouse from 1740--which we totally love.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM

94 posts, read 296,527 times
3. hilly landscape compared to NJ, lots of houses have dangerous steep drive ways or unusable backyard.

I actually consider the hilly landscape to be a major pro. love it.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM

94 posts, read 296,527 times
NJ (Summit, Short Hills, Millburn, Maplewood, South Orange area) has a better stock of older homes with modern renovations. There's a lot of beautiful homes with curb appeal in Westchester but most seem to have dowdy, dated interiors, at least the ones we looked at in the 500-700K range in both places.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM

349 posts, read 914,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swb212 View Post
3. hilly landscape compared to NJ, lots of houses have dangerous steep drive ways or unusable backyard.

I actually consider the hilly landscape to be a major pro. love it.
Same here. It's part of what attracted me to Westchester.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM

124 posts, read 638,956 times
sdcity, you are so right on this one. however, when I house-hunt, I don't want newer houses (younger than 30yrs), not because I don't like the more convenient and bright modern design and better construction quality (love it actually), it's because the tax will kill you on a newer house than a 100 yrs old farm house. In this housing market, lots of time I found that I can afford the house but not the tax.

Another con in Westchester (maybe so in NJ too): so many houses use oil and septic and well - it makes me feel this area is so backward (I am from overseas) and like living in 19th hundred. The house we recently inspected had well water problem and had damaged its plumbing system. So we had to back out of the accepted offer. One of my friend searched in Westchester for a long time and got frustrated after they found a house in Ardsley had underground oil contamination issue. They went to NJ then found their dream house within a month. If it wasn't my husband who works here and I am hoping to find a job in the city, we would have moved out of westchester long ago.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 AM

2,501 posts, read 5,880,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEmom View Post
Another con in Westchester (maybe so in NJ too): so many houses use oil and septic and well - it makes me feel this area is so backward (I am from overseas) and like living in 19th hundred.
FWIW, this is the case all over the northeast the instant you get outside a densely settled municipality. "Backward" isn't really the right way to view it. It's simply location. All those well-and-septic houses were all built in rural/semirural areas outside of a municipality. Swiss farmhouses up in the hills have well and septic too. And interestingly, my business in New Rochelle (municipal water) has vastly more water problems than my well system at home. Color and taste change all the time, pressure goes up and down, you name it.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

321 posts, read 631,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Apart from WP parking, I'd put 3 and 4 at the top of the pros category.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County