Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:02 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,702 times

Advertisements

I found the Residence Inn in Yonkers for 3 people for 139. It seems really low for being so close to NYC. I've heard Yonkers is really run down, especially on the south side. Anyone know how good this area is around the hotel? I'm taking people on college visits, and one of the places is the College of New Rochelle, but the reviews of places there were not good at all. I figure around this area would be fine to visit the college and then get into NYC for a day of bumming around. If the area is crap, any advice of where to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Most of Yonkers has no more crime than any other Westchester community. Crime in Yonkers is predominantly in its southeast corner. I believe the Residence Inn is in the northeast corner. If that's the case, nothing to worry about.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 AM

58 posts, read 239,969 times
Yonkers is huge compared to other Westchester towns. It's six times the area of an average Westchester village like Hastings-On-Hudson. There are about that many regions in Yonkers, and each has its own character. The northwest area is not quite as nice and safe as Hastings and Ardsley, but it is more like them than the southeast portion of Yonkers, which is more like southern Mount Vernon.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Most of Yonkers has no more crime than any other Westchester community. Crime in Yonkers is predominantly in its southeast corner. I believe the Residence Inn is in the northeast corner. If that's the case, nothing to worry about.
Sorry - I meant most of the crime is in the southwest corner, and I believe the Residence Inn is in the northwest corner.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,870,511 times
I don't think they'd put a Residence Inn somewhere that has high crime and looks like a "ghetto". Most of Yonkers except for the southwest "downtown" part don't look like that, a lot of Yonkers' bad rap beyond that neighborhood has more to do with poor schools, not crime.

But isn't Residence Inn mostly designed for long-term stays that need kitchen facilities (when I was on a temporary assignment in the Hartford, CT area for a few months in mid-2009, I stayed in something like this)? That $139 rate may be for stays of a certain length like a month or more or something.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 PM

33 posts, read 152,771 times
That hotel is relatively new, I believe it opened October, 2009. It's in an industrial park off Executive Boulevard, near cablevision and Consumer reports. I have always thought of that area as a good area in Yonkers and I would have no problem staying there. It's near the Saw Mill River Parkway, and you'll need a car to visit CNR. While your there, you can visit Iona College, Pace U., Fordham U., Concordia College, Mercy College, College of Mt. St. Vincent, Manhattan College, SUNY Purchase, Manhattanville College and more.

Last edited by Cwood2008; 02-09-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,958 times
that is a brand new place. hastings is a half mile north. no difference in neighborhood , it is fine, but not much nearby to walk to , rivertowns of hastings and north are the places for eats and recreation.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,375,838 times
What about the La Quinta Inn? There's one in Armonk on rte 22 just off of exit 3 on I-684. They also opened another one recently in Elmsford off the Saw Mill River Pkwy (that one has an in door pool so it's price is slightly higher). They are both btwn $90 - $130 a night. We stay in the one in Armonk whenever we come back up to NY to visit family.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times
What colleges are you visiting? There's a Radisson and Marriot actually IN downtown New Rochelle. They're standard chains.

If you're spending much time in NYC there's the POD hotel. It's perfect for students, travelers, artistes and the budget minded. It's clean and well run with a slightly edgy/cool euro-flavor. Rooms start at $99 per night. It just can't be beat.
New York City Hotels: Pod Hotel Manhattan NYC discount accommodations near Radio City Music Hall Rockefeller Center Times Square

Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM

506 posts, read 2,279,349 times
That hotel is fine............don't worry in a great area ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County