U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
 
124 posts, read 639,243 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

I share and agree everybody's tax opinion here! Enough is enough. If the municipal worker can unionize, why cannot us taxpayer unionizes too?? We are the payor and we should have upper hand at the table. That's why the middle class in this country get shaft. No money and no self protection either.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
 
1,594 posts, read 3,041,779 times
Reputation: 1585
Anyone here is more than welcome to move. Move to Queens where the taxes are $5000 a year and though some high schools have a 35% graduation rate, others have a 99% graduation rate. Feel free to move your car every other day and to pay $4000 per car in car insurance. Have your kids play in concrete playgrounds with afterschool activities such as hand ball and skelly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
 
90 posts, read 273,983 times
Reputation: 42
Ponytrekker,

You can't justify ridiculous taxes by comparing it to a place with even more ridiculous taxes.

We moved to CT from western PA and are disappointed at the cost of living in CT. Everyone tells us "at least it's not NY".... But what does that have to do with the price of beans in Russia? The issue still remains that the taxes in CT are outrageous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Yorktown Heights NY
1,316 posts, read 4,783,279 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
Ponytrekker,

You can't justify ridiculous taxes by comparing it to a place with even more ridiculous taxes.

We moved to CT from western PA and are disappointed at the cost of living in CT. Everyone tells us "at least it's not NY".... But what does that have to do with the price of beans in Russia? The issue still remains that the taxes in CT are outrageous.
I'd say that you can't compare costs in western PA to those in CT/NY--everything is more expensive here. We're in the New York Metro area--labor is more expensive, materials are more expensive, supplies are more expensive. Running the exact same school system or sanitation system or park system is going to cost a lot more here than in western PA or most of the country. Therefore, taxes will be a lot higher too. And, chances are, your salary is higher here too (if not, you shouldn't have taken the job).

Taxes reflect four things: 1) the services being provided, 2) the cost of business in the area, 3) the number and cost of unfunded mandates, requirements, and restrictions placed on the municipality by the state, federal government, and local unions, and 4) how much the municipality depends on taxes for funding (as opposed to other sources). These are the factors that make taxes higher or lower. Calling taxes "too high" or "outrageous" is meaningless-- too high compared to what? Compared to getting fewer services? Compared to doing business in western PA?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM
 
90 posts, read 273,983 times
Reputation: 42
I didn't only say taxes, it is everything. Food, insurance and a lot more in addition to taxes. Plus where we live in CT is not metro NYC, its central CT about 90 mins from NYC. Where I live is far cheaper than points west in the state.

I wasn't comparing CT to the cost of living to PA, I was saying that the cost of living in CT is high IN GENERAL. CT has the highest tax burden in the country so I shouldn't be wrongly reprimanded by you, who seems to think taxes offer a better quality of life. I love how liberals think.

I lived in Pittsburgh which offered a ton more than leafy Podunk, CT and cost of living is half there. So there is your comparison!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Yorktown Heights NY
1,316 posts, read 4,783,279 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by blogspott View Post
I didn't only say taxes, it is everything. Food, insurance and a lot more in addition to taxes. Plus where we live in CT is not metro NYC, its central CT about 90 mins from NYC. Where I live is far cheaper than points west in the state.

I wasn't comparing CT to the cost of living to PA, I was saying that the cost of living in CT is high IN GENERAL. CT has the highest tax burden in the country so I shouldn't be wrongly reprimanded by you, who seems to think taxes offer a better quality of life. I love how liberals think.

I lived in Pittsburgh which offered a ton more than leafy Podunk, CT and cost of living is half there. So there is your comparison!
My point exactly, thanks. The cost of living in CT is much higher than the cost of living in Pittsburgh. Higher cost of living leads to higher taxes--everything is more expensive in CT than in Pittsburgh and therefore the muncipalities' costs are higher and therefore the taxes are higher.

And what makes you think I'm a "liberal"? I simply understand that in a capitalist society you need to pay for services. If you pay less, you get less. When your provider's costs are high, the provider is going to pass those costs on to you. In this case, the provider is the local government.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
 
964 posts, read 2,251,106 times
Reputation: 385
Dma1250,

The property taxes in the NY tri-state area are not correlated to the extra cost of living. They are even higher! So, while the cost of living in another state might be 30-40% cheaper....they pay 60-70% less in property taxes! We are paying for overhead here in NY. The corruption, the extra needless layers of government, the ridiculous collective bargaining agreements our local pols accepted with teacher and cop unions....all of that leads to the higher taxes.

If you are happy to pay that overhead, then fine. I'm not. NJ is finally tackling their "overhead" problem, and I can only pray we do as well here in NY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Yorktown Heights NY
1,316 posts, read 4,783,279 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Dma1250,

The property taxes in the NY tri-state area are not correlated to the extra cost of living. They are even higher! So, while the cost of living in another state might be 30-40% cheaper....they pay 60-70% less in property taxes! We are paying for overhead here in NY. The corruption, the extra needless layers of government, the ridiculous collective bargaining agreements our local pols accepted with teacher and cop unions....all of that leads to the higher taxes.

If you are happy to pay that overhead, then fine. I'm not. NJ is finally tackling their "overhead" problem, and I can only pray we do as well here in NY.
If you look back at my earlier post, I think I said that taxes were based on a number of things, one of which being all of the federal and state mandates and union deals:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Taxes reflect four things: 1) the services being provided, 2) the cost of business in the area, 3) the number and cost of unfunded mandates, requirements, and restrictions placed on the municipality by the state, federal government, and local unions, and 4) how much the municipality depends on taxes for funding (as opposed to other sources). These are the factors that make taxes higher or lower. Calling taxes "too high" or "outrageous" is meaningless-- too high compared to what? Compared to getting fewer services? Compared to doing business in western PA?
Cost of living/cost of doing business in the area is a big part of the equation, but I never said it was the whole problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Westchester County, NY
9,948 posts, read 16,076,718 times
Reputation: 4003
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

If you are happy to pay that overhead, then fine. I'm not. NJ is finally tackling their "overhead" problem, and I can only pray we do as well here in NY.
I personally don't think the severe cuts to health care and education in NJ as well as possibly putting tolls in I-80 when they have the lowest gas tax in America and room to raise it a bit is worth it (I'm not saying there's no room to cut in these areas but it's going too far). In NY they may HAVE to do things like this since we're already over-taxed as it is. I'm not too fond of the "soda tax", but it would raise revenue and in terms of health if we can have special taxes on cigarettes and alcohol then I think it is justified.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
 
Location: New York
86 posts, read 254,235 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
Have no idea but you can start by checking to see who controls the county. If Democrates, there is your answer....
I know democrats are an easy target re: taxes in rough times, but let's not jump on that bandwagon...it's just too easy.

We moved to Westchester from Los Angeles. Our taxes tripled, but now we can send our kids to public school, can actually see cops on the streets, and, have people who pick up the trash that are willing to get out of the truck. Take a look at the damage Prop 13 did to California, then think twice about complaining about high taxes. As the saying goes - you really do get what you pay for. Yes, California republicans did away with high taxes. However, in doing so they did away with some of the best public education in the country (in the 70s, pre-prop 13), as well as many other services which are now in the toilet. The mess California has been in since Prop 13 should be a lesson to us all.

It would always be great to see our tax dollars better managed, but I'm sure both political parties could use some improvement in this area.

Last edited by tammy42; 03-09-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top