Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 10:29 AM

375 posts, read 1,575,832 times

Advertisements

I take the Harlem Line, but this probably applies in general to all MetroNorth riders. Why do some (most) of you insist on sitting on the aisle seats and blocking the empty window seats during rush hours? It's not like you are getting up to go to the bathroom during the ride, or that you are getting off at the first stop. Ok, maybe you are getting off at one of the earlier stops and you don't want to ask the person in the aisle seat to get up for you to exit. But in majority of the cases, it's turns out that's not true either.

So, why don't you just scoot over and make the seats more accessible to the other riders? Must you wait for someone to ask to sit down or to move your stuff off the window seat? It's almost like you are trying to hog both seats when you know it's the commuting hours and the trains are going to be packed.

Last edited by LightningMcQueen; 02-24-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
My legs are long and I need the aisle room. If I sit by the window (and someone sits next to me) I've got nowhere to put the legs and I get really sore. I usually only sit in the three-seat seats--if those aren't available I'll usually stand.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Ironically when I used to commute to the City I preferred the window seats (I like looking out the window when we're above ground) and still sit by the window the occasional times I go to Manhattan and take Metro North.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM

866 posts, read 2,483,513 times
Isn't it obvious? They are trying to discourage you from sitting beside them! If I get onto a crowded train I'll probably take an open and empty seat first, rather than have to ask someone to move their stuff so I can sit down. Now, if that's the only seat around I'm not shy about asking, but I'm pretty sure the goal is to keep the seat "free" for their stuff.

That said, I always sit in a window seat if I have the choice.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
I take great pleasure in making people like that move. Especially of they have their paper and briefcase spread out. The more annoyed they look, the more times I'll get up to go to the bathroom.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 AM

943 posts, read 4,257,733 times
The walls appear very dirty on the metro north line (NH line) and I dont want to be pressed against them. I also have fairly long legs and its easier to be on the outside With that being said. I always sit in a three seater and try to make eye contact with other passenegers to see if they want to sit down. I also work in Law Enforcement so it has become habit to be able to see everything that is going on. People pay for their seat and they have the right to sit in the one that makes them more comfortable. There are no assigned seats.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 AM

375 posts, read 1,575,832 times
Yes, if you have long legs and need to strech, then I can understand. But more often than not, as others have noted, people sit on the aisle seat to try to hog multiple seats.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 406,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
I take the Harlem Line, but this probably applies in general to all MetroNorth riders. Why do some (most) of you insist on sitting on the aisle seats and blocking the empty window seats during rush hours? It's not like you are getting up to go to the bathroom during the ride, or that you are getting off at the first stop. Ok, maybe you are getting off at one of the earlier stops and you don't want to ask the person in the aisle seat to get up for you to exit. But in majority of the cases, it's turns out that's not true either.

So, why don't you just scoot over and make the seats more accessible to the other riders? Must you wait for someone to ask to sit down or to move your stuff off the window seat? It's almost like you are trying to hog both seats when you know it's the commuting hours and the trains are going to be packed.
because of selfishness, in general

of course, i'm sure there are others with justifiable excuses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County