Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 02:16 PM

176 posts, read 729,787 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I along with twin girls are considering moving to Westchester that is closer to LI or Queens area. I know sounds confusing, I work in Nassau county and husband works in Queens. We were thinking Westchester because of the diversity and good school district.

Any info you can provide would be great, our combined income is 200k and may go up. We would preferably be renting a house or town home.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Why would you not live in Nassau County? I can't imagine why you'd want to go across two toll bridges each day and have a HORRIFIC commute to live in Westchester and work on Long Island.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM

176 posts, read 729,787 times
I would love to live in nassau however I am hearing that diversity is not so good. Wow my husband and I have no issues living in an all white neighborhood I heard that the kids can be cruel. If you know if any places in nassau with good school district that is diversed I would be happy to look into it. It would really be convenient for my husband and I but I'm not hearing good things about diversity in good school district areas.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I would love to live in nassau however I am hearing that diversity is not so good. Wow my husband and I have no issues living in an all white neighborhood I heard that the kids can be cruel. If you know if any places in nassau with good school district that is diversed I would be happy to look into it. It would really be convenient for my husband and I but I'm not hearing good things about diversity in good school district areas.
Really? These places come to mind:
Test Scores for West Hempstead Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Baldwin Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Malverne Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Farmingdale Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Manhasset Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Sewanhaka Central High School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Roslyn Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Rockville Centre Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Valley Stream 13 Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Valley Stream 24 Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Valley Stream 30 Union Free School District | GreatSchools
Test Scores for Valley Stream Central High School District | GreatSchools

Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Nicer parts of New Rochelle might work for you. Very diverse and accepting, and about as close to Queens and Nassau as you can get in Westchester.

But I have to agree with ViralMD about the commute and wonder if you find Nassau to be "cruel" what about the neighborhood of Little Neck in Queens on the Nassau line? I've heard they are pretty diverse and accepting; and that their schools are pretty good by "5 boros" standards.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 24,689 times
VeVe,
I agree that New Rochelle is a good choice, but what about White Plains? Diverse city, easy commute, taxes are resonable (I pay 10K/yr) schools are good.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM

218 posts, read 605,521 times
Veve -

I attended Valhalla Schools, and I think it's worth noting that this is one of the more diverse small districts in Westchester. Alot of the smaller districts will literally only have a handful of african american students. While Valhalla is still overwhelmingly white, the district includes portions of Greeenburgh and White Plains and and this increases the diversity a bit. The school districts in the larger cities (White Plains, New Rochelle, etc.) will obviously offer the most diversity, but many people favor the smaller districts. I'm not sure if your family cares about any of this, but I figured I'd through in my two cents.

I live in White Plains myself and can't say enough good things about the Highlands neighborhood (roughly speaking, the area between Prospect St on the North, Soundview Ave on the West, Old Mamaroneck Rd on the East, and Hartsdale Ave on the South). Lots of tudors and colonials. It shouldn't be a problem finding a 3-4 bedroom home in your price range, but it will be older and probably around 2000 sq ft. The homes aren't in disrepair or anything, but many of them need new kitchens and baths. Also, if you are looking for a truly diverse distrcit and community in Westchester, White Plains will be one of your best bets.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommya View Post
Veve -

I attended Valhalla Schools, and I think it's worth noting that this is one of the more diverse small districts in Westchester. Alot of the smaller districts will literally only have a handful of african american students. While Valhalla is still overwhelmingly white, the district includes portions of Greeenburgh and White Plains and and this increases the diversity a bit. The school districts in the larger cities (White Plains, New Rochelle, etc.) will obviously offer the most diversity, but many people favor the smaller districts. I'm not sure if your family cares about any of this, but I figured I'd through in my two cents.

I live in White Plains myself and can't say enough good things about the Highlands neighborhood (roughly speaking, the area between Prospect St on the North, Soundview Ave on the West, Old Mamaroneck Rd on the East, and Hartsdale Ave on the South). Lots of tudors and colonials. It shouldn't be a problem finding a 3-4 bedroom home in your price range, but it will be older and probably around 2000 sq ft. The homes aren't in disrepair or anything, but many of them need new kitchens and baths. Also, if you are looking for a truly diverse distrcit and community in Westchester, White Plains will be one of your best bets.
I was thinking that Tuckahoe, Dobbs Ferry and Pelham are smaller Westchester SD's with some diversity and with very good schools too. Some might think I'm crazy, but Elmsford has pretty good schools too.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking that Tuckahoe, Dobbs Ferry and Pelham are smaller Westchester SD's with some diversity and with very good schools too. Some might think I'm crazy, but Elmsford has pretty good schools too.
Yes, to Tuckahoe and Pelham (although Pelham has a history of being one of the more "prejudiced" suburbs even towards white ethnics a la Bronxville, it has changed, I believe if you look at Census numbers it's actually about 10-15% AA and Tuckahoe is close to that), no to Dobbs Ferry (not as diverse as you think) or Elmsford (don't let the small population of 3900 fool you, it's a poor, "urban"-ish area, I think the low pop is because it's rather industrial and less than 1 sq. mile in size).

I don't know if this would make a difference, but the part of Mt. Vernon that borders Pelham (at least the northern part of Pelham) is an upscale neighborhood that is diverse but heavily "upper income minority". The elementary schools in that part of the city are fine but the problem with even the "nice" neighborhoods of Mt. Vernon is that the middle schools are city-wide and everybody tries to pull their kids after 6th grade (they even joke that it is called "bright flight" since its not only white folk who do it here). I mostly mention it because part of why Pelham's minority population has gone up is people who have moved there from that nice adjoining neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County