U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,883,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
"Pressure" comes not from the academics or the school itself, even if standards are very high.
I agree with your basic point--the pressure comes from the parents and the community--but I do think it is also very much part of the schools. Certain districts are highly invested in maintaining test scores and they focus their teaching and curriculum on that and they put a lot of pressure on students to perform well on tests throughout the grades. As indicated in my above anecdote, I've heard from parents and teachers in many area schools that the pressure to ace tests and maintain the school's standing can be intense. Other schools are less focused on test results, or at least put far less obvious pressure on students to perform on tests.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 AM

25 posts, read 159,499 times
Agreed. I've been through this whole process with my older child who is now a successful freshman at one of the top universities in the country. The high school she attended was one on the "Silver List" of high schools in US News and World Report. The community we are coming from is very affluent and does tend to put pressure to perform on their students (not necessarily a bad thing). But what I liked about the high school is that it pushed back with a more common sense approach (e.g., it recommended no more than 2 AP courses at a time for its already overcommitted students...although there was one student who took 5!). So, I'm looking for an excellent school that doesnt make "the test" the be all and end all. Anyone know how Rye high School fits into the picture?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 AM

395 posts, read 1,509,554 times
We are close to moving from Pleasantville to Chappaqua and I have no qualms about switching school districts even though P-ville is supposedly "more laid back" and Chappaqua is supposedly a "pressure cooker". In my experience so far, there is a prevailing attitude towards academic success throughout Westchester (I agree this is not a bad thing), and the differences between towns and schools tend to be over-dramatized and exaggerated on these boards. You will have type A parents pushing for and expecting academic success in every single community here (and yes we do have these in P-ville as well). These are not communities where kids are expected to graduate and work in the family store or on the family farm. Of course there are parents that take things to an unhealthy level but as long as you manage your own expectations and the pressure level at home, your kid can still have a great experience at a top tier school.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:22 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,883,612 times
The issue isn't pressure vs. laid back or whether or not a school focuses on "academic success"--you will find that pretty much across the board in good Westchester schools. The question is how the school measures "academic success" and what the school is pressuring students to do well. Some schools focus on test scores and place the emphasis of their teaching on prepping kids to do well on tests. All public schools will train kids to take tests, but in some schools test scores are not the primary focus or the way that "academic success" is measured. I think that attitude has a big impact and is something parents need to be cognizant of. But I do agree that what you focus on at home is just as, if not more, important.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:46 PM

25 posts, read 159,499 times
Well stated dma1250. It's nice to be in sync with priorities in terms of achieving success with the school, community, and at home as much as possible. Any thoughts about Rye High School?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 25,383 times
hello everyone, i just joined this forum today and am enjoying all the information and comments immensely.
i just posted this in the harrision thread..... hope you do not mind the double post:

i just found and joined this forum - seems like a great place ! hope you guys can shed some light:

about 7 years ago my husband and lived in ryebrook for about 2 years (we had moved from manhattan).
on a whim we decided to move to ecuador (where my parents lived) and start a new business.
well, after about 7 years we are ready for a change - we are seriously thinking of moving back to westchester.

my husband is looking at 2 small companies he can buy. One is in armonk and the other in manhattan.
so living somewhere in westchester county makes sense (he can always commute to manhattan if he buys the manhattan company).
we would probably rent for 2 years or so until everything (including financially) settles down. we have 2 girls grades 1 and 4.

our questions are:
1/ which towns are a good place to start looking for a rental ? our housing priorities are:
a/ a safe town with decent family values
b/ a very good school district
c/ reasonable rent ($2,500 max a month - if this is realistic)
d/ some cultural diversity would be nice ! (my husband is asian and i am latin).

2/ lastly, if we do not live extravagantly, would per year: $72,000 AFTER tax dollars be sufficient to live on (including rent, etc)? ...note that this would NOT include us buying 2 new cars with cash.

thanks for your comments

Read more: Harrison versus other towns

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 22,925 times
Did you ever end up moving to Chappaqua or Armonk? My wife and I are contemplating the same move and I wonder how you have found it? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 6,173,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyor View Post
hello everyone, i just joined this forum today and am enjoying all the information and comments immensely.
i just posted this in the harrision thread..... hope you do not mind the double post:
you'll get a lot more views if you just start a new thread.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:52 PM

33 posts, read 77,827 times
Have you thought about looking in Harrison-we are selling, but have been very happy with the commute to GTCT-less than 40 min. peak time, people seem to be very happy with the schools, have heard nothing negative about stress in the system=-many leave Purchase for the Harrison schoools-it's very close to White Plains for shopping, as well as Greenwich. I don't know the story regarding soccer-soemthing you might want to look into.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 82,904 times
Shanapuppy why do you always post that people leave Purchase and go to the Harrison schools? Purchase is part of Harrison. There is a Purchase elementary school but they all go to the same Jr High and High school. Am I missing something? Just curious because I am considering a house that would be Purchase Elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County