U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 PM

15 posts, read 83,316 times

Advertisements

According to the web-site and my realtor there is a non-resident lottery for membership to Rye Golf Club which is use of the pool, beach, castle etc. What's your opinion on Harrison Kletter1mann? You have very informative posts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM

2,530 posts, read 6,242,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebulldogs View Post
According to the web-site and my realtor there is a non-resident lottery for membership to Rye Golf Club which is use of the pool, beach, castle etc. What's your opinion on Harrison Kletter1mann? You have very informative posts.
I can't offer much personal insight on Harrison I'm afraid, so this may degrade from informative to merely outlandish. Anyway, my impression is that it's strongly "affluent blue-collar" if that makes sense - the successful, non-college guy that owns the electrical contractor, fewer post-grad professionals that Rye, Scarsdale, etc. Out of curiosity I looked at the entry in the Urban Dictionary: Harrison, NY and this seems pretty on target with my impression. Compare with Rye: Urban Dictionary: rye . This stuff is exaggerated, of course, but there's more than a grain of truth to the UD's characterizations of other towns and high schools so it's probably a valid enough indicator. [see also UD entries for Scarsdale, Armonk, Eastchester, Bronxville, Bedford, etc. for some perspective.]

Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM

12,270 posts, read 10,528,432 times
This was a couple years ago...Harrison had a lot of smart, well-to-do stockbrokers and traders.

Their boss lived in Rye.

The guy who owned the company lived in Scarsdale.

Both Scarsdale and Harrison are nice, but landlocked. Rye has a beautiful coastline with great beaches.

The big reason I push Rye over the other towns is there is more to do for kids, especially as they get older and restless. Rye also has a great YMCA. And I wouldn't believe your realtor for a second when it comes to towns sharing their facilities and amenities. Call city hall of whatever town you're looking at and get the lowdown from the people who'll tell you the straight story.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 25,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is totally subjective, but despite it's wealth, Harrison is a whoppingly boring little town. Have you looked at Rye, with all it's beaches, the Marshlands, Playland and a real downtown unlike Harrison's strip of stores next to the train station? It's pricey but it's really nice.
hello everyone, i just found and joined this forum - seems like a great place ! hope you guys can shed some light:

about 7 years ago my husband and lived in ryebrook for about 2 years (we had moved from manhattan).
on a whim we decided to move to ecuador (where my parents lived) and start a new business.
well, after about 7 years we are ready for a change - we are seriously thinking of moving back to westchester.

my husband is looking at 2 small companies he can buy. One is in armonk and the other in manhattan.
so living somewhere in westchester county makes sense (he can always commute to manhattan if he buys the manhattan company).
we would probably rent for 2 years or so until everything (including financially) settles down. we have 2 girls grades 1 and 4.

our questions are:
1/ which towns are a good place to start looking for a rental ? our housing priorities are:
a/ a safe town with decent family values
b/ a very good school district c/ reasonable rent ($2,500 max a month - if this is realistic)
d/ some cultural diversity would be nice ! (my husband is asian and i am latin).

2/ lastly, if we do not live extravagantly, would per year: $72,000 AFTER tax dollars be sufficient to live on (including rent, etc)? ...note that this would NOT include us buying 2 new cars with cash.

thanks for your HELP !

Last edited by leyor; 03-10-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 11:09 PM

3 posts, read 54,587 times
My husband and I are also looking to move into the Park Lane Reserve, the community is absolutely spectacular and it sounds like that is exactly what your looking for. Your budget at 1.5 should get you a very nice house and at the moment there are numerous homes in that community for sale for a steal. You should also keep in mind that West Harrison, Rye, Harrison, Purchase and some parts of White Plains have EXTREMELY HIGH TAXES. I agree that if your kids are smart they will excel no matter what school they are in but the schools in those areas tend to be excellent. As I also work in Midtown Manhattan distance is also very important because Metro North can be unreliable at times. The Park Lane Reserve is literally 10 minutes from White Plains and you or your husband can hop on the train to the City. Note the further up you go the more your train tickets will be 4. As for boring, all those towns are boring but finding things to do are minutes away.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:18 PM

Leyor, I hate to tell you 2,500 for rent for a family of 4 in a great neighborhood, schools in Westchester is not going to happen. Rent is very expensive. That might get you a 1 bedroom in a great neighborhood in White Plains.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Default claw3046

ilovebulldogs, Westchester have a yearly pass you can purchase that will allow you to take your kids to any parks in Westchester County. Rye Playland also have a beach you can take your family. There is plenty to do in Westchester County and not just Rye. Any one of those towns are great places to live

Old 08-28-2010, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,555 times
have you lookes into valhalla beautiful houses great neighborhood great schools lots of things to do there

Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM

33 posts, read 78,258 times
To be a member of the Rye Golf Club, you've got to be a resident of Rye-otherwise they "clobber you" with costs. That being said, if golf if very important to you, something to consider. Our public courses are decent, depending on where you look.
Being a Harrison resident, even though Rye and Scarsdale have prettier towns, they don't offer alot of land along with the house-which Harrison does. If you're going to be spending over 1.4 m, I'd think there would be interest in getting more acreage and not lviing so close to your neighbor.
All things being equal, I'd rather be in Harrison and travel to Rye town-which is less than 10 min. from Harrison anyway.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,156,485 times
I just moved here so granted, my opinion might change, but I live in Mamaroneck for now and find the downtown areas annoying. Cute, sure, but with a few exceptions, most of the stores are relatively expensive and traffic is always backed up on Mamaroneck Avenue so I take the back roads around it. People make such a big deal about living near a walkable downtown, etc. and to be honest, that generally is only a selling point to people moving out the city. If you are moving from a car-based society as I was (LA), it really isn't terribly important.

I don't know about Playland but can speak for Harbor Park. I see very few locals there. Most of my neighbors are off summering somewhere or think that the water is filthy. I think most of the people that go there anyway are from the Bronx or Jersey. I have always personally preferred driving to fun anyway vs. having a ton of outsiders invade my neighborhood on a regular basis (ask anyone from Rye why they leave from Memorial Day to Labor Day).

If you like Harrison, go for it I say. It's still on our list when we buy, although as others said, I don't find myself going there for anything. Honestly, I think that nicer people live in cities with less cache anyway. Harrison had some of the most expensive houses I saw, by the way, so even if they are blue collar, they must be doing something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County