U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,276 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
Hope you can help us out. We will be relocating to NY next month. We have a little girl and I am very worried about her future. What will be the best area for us to buy a house? What we are looking for is nice green area, good schools, quite, and not very long comute to NYC.
Thanks a lot,
E
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 09:56 AM

956 posts, read 4,164,749 times
You should check out Westchester Co around Irvington/Tarrytown.
I was there yesterday just sight seeing. I was taking a picture of an unusual house and a local woman stopped to talk. She immediately told me how good the schools were in the area if I was thinking of relocating.
Good train access and easier car commute than on Long Island. If I was looking to move out of the city, that is definitely an area I would check out.
Good Luck and Welcome to the Empire State.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,276 times
Thank you, mhogan10010!

Do you know how long is the commute?

Old 07-31-2006, 08:39 PM

23 posts, read 57,688 times
Default message to test about NY

Hi, i've lived on L.I. for 45 years - in a few different areas. when I was a kid I thought LI was paradise-i truly couldnt ask for more. LI had everything you could want- beaches, fishing, parks, a couple of amusement parks, an ampitheatre, drive in movie, camping and so much more. That was then-this is now. I live in nassau county (Most expensive county in the usa) next to the long island railroad (228 trains a day). I can tell you that LI has become a horror show-people could not be more rude, it couldn't be more expensive, the taxes go up constantly while the services decrease, the teen drinking is totally out of control, not to mention the drugging up at all the trendy clubs. Nowhere else do teens drive mercedes', lexus' and expensive sports cars than on LI - Nowhere. The parents are so busy watching desperate housewives that they cound'nt care less about where their kids are. People say LI has a diverse culture--BS-- LI is home of the migrant day worker and has a proliferation of neighborhoods that sport multi-million dollar homes directly next to shanty town shacks that house the workers who built the homes in the first place. I used to sit out with my neighbors years ago, but now my neighborhoods and all my friends neighborhoods have "clans". In many neighborhoods you have clusters of people who will not associate with one another. Indians dont talk to anyone but their own, chinese dont talk to anybody but their own, koreans dont talk to anybody but their own--but when I was younger everybody talked to everyone else--you used to have neighborhoods --now you have clans. And whats up with all the advertising on the back of teenage girls shorts--i regularly see girls in my kids H.S. walking in with "Juicy" scralled across their behind-- If you're worried about your daughter now-just wait,its getting worse by the day-I'm moving and so are most of the natives. Good Luck

Old 07-31-2006, 08:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,811,668 times
Default Do Not Move Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by william
Hi, i've lived on L.I. for 45 years - in a few different areas. when I was a kid I thought LI was paradise-i truly couldnt ask for more. LI had everything you could want- beaches, fishing, parks, a couple of amusement parks, an ampitheatre, drive in movie, camping and so much more. That was then-this is now. I live in nassau county (Most expensive county in the usa) next to the long island railroad (228 trains a day). I can tell you that LI has become a horror show-people could not be more rude, it couldn't be more expensive, the taxes go up constantly while the services decrease, the teen drinking is totally out of control, not to mention the drugging up at all the trendy clubs. Nowhere else do teens drive mercedes', lexus' and expensive sports cars than on LI - Nowhere. The parents are so busy watching desperate housewives that they cound'nt care less about where their kids are. People say LI has a diverse culture--BS-- LI is home of the migrant day worker and has a proliferation of neighborhoods that sport multi-million dollar homes directly next to shanty town shacks that house the workers who built the homes in the first place. I used to sit out with my neighbors years ago, but now my neighborhoods and all my friends neighborhoods have "clans". In many neighborhoods you have clusters of people who will not associate with one another. Indians dont talk to anyone but their own, chinese dont talk to anybody but their own, koreans dont talk to anybody but their own--but when I was younger everybody talked to everyone else--you used to have neighborhoods --now you have clans. And whats up with all the advertising on the back of teenage girls shorts--i regularly see girls in my kids H.S. walking in with "Juicy" scralled across their behind-- If you're worried about your daughter now-just wait,its getting worse by the day-I'm moving and so are most of the natives. Good Luck

Yes, William is absolutely right. He may be more than 15 years older than me, but I completely agree with him.

I live in Queens, but worked & went to grad school on Long Island. BTW, the average starting salary of someone with an MBA (yes MBA) from Hofstras Zarb School of Business is a pathetically low $58,000 a year. $58,000 a year is hardly enough to rent a one bedroom apartment on Fulton Ave. in Hempstead. I am single but make over $80,000 but is still nothing even if you live in Flushing Queens.

But, he is right with everything else. Things are totally out of control. Taxes, Insurance, Rents, Food is ridiculously expensive. You CANNOT afford to live here nor would you feel comfortable or accepted unless you make well in the six figures, and have that materialistic, consumer mentality.

And we are not whiners just sick and tired of working our asses off and feeling priced out of everything when others who don't seem to work at all seem to have everything. Just WTF do these kids do -- the ones who drive Mercedes, BMW's & AUDI's and can afford to spend thousands on designer clothes every week?? Is it Drugs, Prostitution or Some other type of off the books activity??

Life here is nothing more than commuting to & from work, eating out, and spending obscene amounts of money at 'The Mall' either Roosevelt Field or the Americana Shopping center.

People have commented on this forum that there are down to earth people. Well after spending 28 years in Queens and working & going to school on Long Island I have yet to meet any.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM

15 posts, read 49,602 times
It's so interesting to read all the negative comments people have about Long Island. Having lived on Long Island all my life (I am in my mid-thirties and have two school aged children) I feel I can add another point of view. Yes, housing is expensive, taxes are way high, LIPA is expensive and so forth. So, we decided we needed to get off the island also - sick and tired of the expense, snow, rain, etc. looking to have a "better life" in another state. We chose to move to Arizona. What a mistake. The schools suck, the kids here have no discipline whatsoever, disrespectful to adults, meth is all over the high schools, they can't keep teachers cause of the pay, the people out here are from all over with different backgrounds, beliefs, whatever. I now realize that my kids had the best education possible on long island. What the schools have on long island cannot compare....so as the saying goes...you get what you pay for. I am moving back to long island for the sake of my children....so they can go to a "real" school and get a "real" education, be taught by talented and caring teachers and be around "real" kids. Drugs is in every state but the deal with meth out here is out of control. No thanks. I guess I was one of those who thought the grass was greener on the other side. It is not.....Long Island has a lot to offer and is still a great place to live.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,406,182 times
I'd have to imagine that the grass really is greener in Long Island than in Arizona!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM

That's for sure....my sister is trying to convince me to move to NC but it's going to be the same thing there with schools I'm sure.....I just rather move to where I know I can get the best schools for my kids, the best doctors, and I don't know...I guess if you've grew up in New York most of us have the same type of values/morals......Everyone has this image of New Yorkers as nasty people, but when you actually live in another state, there are more nastier people than you can know.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM

23 posts, read 57,688 times
Default arizona mistake

sorry az didnt work out, but have you tried looking anywhere else before jumping back to LI? Maybe you should think about researching alternate areas.-- I hear what you're saying about LI, but trust me things are moving downward here quicker than you may be aware. good luck

Old 07-31-2006, 10:01 PM

Yeah, we have thought of other places (like NC) but places like those the schools are becoming so overcrowded with people flocking there the schools just can't keep up. The same goes with traffic. Out here in AZ, there's the I-17 that is way worse than the LIE. If there's an accident on the I-17 you WILL sit (or hang out of) your car for hours....Like I said, if I didn't have kids it may have been a different story and let me tell you, once you experience the school system and compare it, it's unbelievable. I could go on about the differences.....here's one: Have you ever watched a movie in gym class? Or if the nurse is out sick have the office staff take care of your kid? Or how about teacher notes to the parents with more than one typo? Or how about no lockers, not even in the high schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County