U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM

13 posts, read 53,128 times

Advertisements

I posted about a month ago about Pocantico Hills but since there is only one house for sale there, we've moved northward to looking in the Croton area. There are several old farmhouses we're going to see this weekend in the Huntersville area. (and thanks for telling me about the northern westchester blog, that's been very helpful). Just a few questions: the reason we're looking here as opposed to Katonah/Bedford/Pound Ridge is for the commute time, which seems better than the rest of Northern Westchester. True? Is the Croton train really 45 minutes, or is it often late? Living in Huntersville, it seems from the map like it's halfway between Yorktown and Croton. Which feels like "your" community, ie where do you head for groceries, dry cleaning? Are there farmer's markets in each? And finally: those of you who watch the real estate listings, it seems there still isn't much in the old-farmhouse category, esp. that doesn't need work upon moving in. Will there be much more probably coming on the market in the next month, or is what we're seeing about the average for what's on the market? (I realize a broker would be better to answer these questions but ours isn't from the Croton area so doesn't seem to know as much about it) thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 4,874,496 times
As the designated Huntersville resident: We're closer to the center of Yorktown Heights than we are to the center of Croton, but it's a matter of a few minutes. I feel like our "community" is Huntersville--there is a great community association which gets together regularly and there's a strong sense of neighborliness and connection. But I also feel like both Croton and YH are "mine" since we go to both often and we have lots of friends in both. Our son's friends are also scattered around the area since he's made friends at camps and after school programs as well as at school. We also go to Mt Kisco and Peekskill a lot (both are under 15 minutes) and we go to Katonah, Chappaqua, and Pleasantville on a regular basis as well. I do my dry cleaning at the Commuter Cleaners at the Croton station because it is convenient. For groceries we go to Yorktown, but for certain things we go to Zeytinia in Croton (our Croton friends mostly do their shopping in Yorktown). The best farmer's markets are in Peekskill and Mt Kisco, so we go there for those (and sometimes to Pleasantville's). (Croton's is on Wednesday, so that is harder to swing; Yorktown does not have one). Huntersville is very central and we’re next to the Taconic, so it is a snap to get pretty much anywhere in northern Westchester.

On the Croton commute: The express trains are 43 to 48 minutes. The on-time rate is like 99.9% and I could count the number of serious delays I’ve had over the last 8 years on one hand. Since Croton is a "hub" there are a lot more train options than in most stations--express trains (Ccroton to GC without stopping), semi-express (stops from Croton to Tarrytown, then direct to GC), more semi-express, and locals. During rush hours you'll never have a long wait between trains. You also have the option of Amtrak (which is always late, but I've used it in emergencies, such as the gas line break that closed GC for hours). And riding down the Hudson is amazing--I never get tired of looking out the window.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM

If you're going to be in Huntersville, set up a vist at the alpaca farm:

http://farawayfarmalpacas.com/

It is beautiful and the aplacas are great. The owners (a children's book author and a psychologist--as well as horse and alpaca farmers!) are very longtime residents of the area and can tell you a lot.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:42 PM

40 posts, read 247,362 times
Have you looked in Somers?
We moved here 18 months ago and love it.
There are some reasonable farm houses and old colonials in the area. The taxes are very low as Pepsi and IBM contribute so much to the tax base. 1 1/2 Acres with a 2500 s/f colonial has taxes below $10K (town and school combined). Good schools. In between 684 and the Taconic. We are 10 minutes to Yorktown. 12 minutes to Purdy's train station (Harlem line). 68 minutes to Grand Central. More of a country feel as the lots are big and we have some of the oldest farmland in westchester sprinkled in between, OH and a lot of parkland.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM

dma, thanks for all your messages. We're actually going to look at the "Milk Farm" or whatever it's called, as well as some others. The commute really sounds quite do-able. My husband just isn't happy about the commute from the other side-- Somers, etc, although I'm sure we'd be happy over there. But right now he has a 35/45 minute commute on the subway from midtown to Park Slope door to door, so jumping up to a 60+ min train ride plus the walk across midtown plus the drive to the train station just pushes us into too much time away. But the croton train really seems okay, happily! thanks again

Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiZola View Post
dma, thanks for all your messages. We're actually going to look at the "Milk Farm" or whatever it's called, as well as some others. The commute really sounds quite do-able. My husband just isn't happy about the commute from the other side-- Somers, etc, although I'm sure we'd be happy over there. But right now he has a 35/45 minute commute on the subway from midtown to Park Slope door to door, so jumping up to a 60+ min train ride plus the walk across midtown plus the drive to the train station just pushes us into too much time away. But the croton train really seems okay, happily! thanks again

I made that exact same transition regarding the commute and it does take some getting used to. The biggest problem (for me at least) is adjusting to catching a train. To this day that annoys me--you want to stay 5 more minutes to talk to your kid (or finish something at the office) but doing so means missing a train. I generally enjoy the commute--the drive to the station is lovely and the train ride itself is pleasant and has a great view). When we looked I tried the commute from Croton, Katonah, and a few other towns. It ain't the real thing, but it will give you a sense of what it will be like.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:00 PM

9 posts, read 30,178 times
No question the Hudson Line is the best option - frequency of trains and duration ot trip. Been a while since I lived in the area, but family still there. While there may not be a farmer's market in Yorktown, there is The Meadows, which has been selling fresh produce for generations, since my relatives the Keers sold it to the Woodards who now own it. There is also a stand at the Hilltop Hanover Farm on Hanover Street, but that is hit or miss. Still, a visit to the farm and hiking its great trails is a treat. My family settled in Huntersville in 1750 and many of the old farmhouses were once owned by them, but they don't often come up for sale. There are some great places on Hunterbrook Road, not far from the Community Church where they still have candlelight services on Christmas Eve. There are MANY great outdoor options in the area as well, from access to the Croton Watershet lands, County Trailway, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens sancturary, Teatown, the Briarcliff Peekskill Trailway, etc. Van Cortlandt Manor is wonderfule with regular special events. And, as others have said, you have access to all the towns throughout the region. Good luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennsyPerson View Post
No question the Hudson Line is the best option - frequency of trains and duration ot trip. Been a while since I lived in the area, but family still there. While there may not be a farmer's market in Yorktown, there is The Meadows, which has been selling fresh produce for generations, since my relatives the Keers sold it to the Woodards who now own it. There is also a stand at the Hilltop Hanover Farm on Hanover Street, but that is hit or miss. Still, a visit to the farm and hiking its great trails is a treat. My family settled in Huntersville in 1750 and many of the old farmhouses were once owned by them, but they don't often come up for sale. There are some great places on Hunterbrook Road, not far from the Community Church where they still have candlelight services on Christmas Eve. There are MANY great outdoor options in the area as well, from access to the Croton Watershet lands, County Trailway, the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens sancturary, Teatown, the Briarcliff Peekskill Trailway, etc. Van Cortlandt Manor is wonderfule with regular special events. And, as others have said, you have access to all the towns throughout the region. Good luck.
Yes, the Meadows farm stand in Yorktown Heights is fabulous and really much better than a market. It is open 7 days a week in season and has a great range of local produce--and most if it is very local, either their own or from nearby farms (they label items so you can tell where things come from). You can also buy local poultry, meat, cheese and other organic produce from Hemlock Hill Farm, which is on the Cortlandt Manor/Huntersville border, and is one of the county's last family owned and operated farms. There is also the Kitchawan Farm stand in the Kitchawan section of Yorktown, as well as nearby places like Rainbeau Ridge which makes great cheese.

Hemlock Hill Farm | Modern Farming | Serving Armonk, Westchester NY
Kitchawan Farm

Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM

122 posts, read 342,246 times
Don't forget that there is a Farmers Market in Muscoot Farm on Sundays in season. Muscoot is technically in Katonah on route 100... but really just 'around the corner' from the Huntersville section of Yorktown.
If you have younger children it's also a great place for them. Admission is free and they have many nice programs on weekends for the younger set.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

this all sounds fantastic and exactly what we want in leaving the city. Now we just have to find a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County