Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 47,155 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Tuckahoe NY. (Bronxville PO) I found a reasonably priced home but the taxes are outrageous. The town tax person tells me they will be lowered but by how much he could not say. It seems taxes increase considerably each year. Also, is it true that if you make any small repair or upgrade they jack up your taxes? Other than the taxes, I don't know what it is like there, are people down to earth, is it all about keeping up with the Jone's? The school seems really nice (village school), I have a 4 year old and want to now if she is going to fit in or is it going to be a problem if you don't wear juicy couture? Any and all info will truly be appreciated. I need guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:51 PM

9,922 posts, read 23,048,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxRosie View Post
I am considering moving to Tuckahoe NY. (Bronxville PO) I found a reasonably priced home but the taxes are outrageous. The town tax person tells me they will be lowered but by how much he could not say. It seems taxes increase considerably each year. Also, is it true that if you make any small repair or upgrade they jack up your taxes? Other than the taxes, I don't know what it is like there, are people down to earth, is it all about keeping up with the Jone's? The school seems really nice (village school), I have a 4 year old and want to now if she is going to fit in or is it going to be a problem if you don't wear juicy couture? Any and all info will truly be appreciated. I need guidance.
I had a friend who lived there for years and loved it and I always thought it was very nice.

Maybe another forum (not Long Island) might have more people familiar with the info you're looking for?

Old 12-31-2008, 10:57 PM

I am new to this and didn't even realize I was in a LI forum. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Tell me about Tuckahoe NY

I am considering moving to Tuckahoe NY. (Bronxville PO) I found a reasonably priced home but the taxes are outrageous. The town tax person tells me they will be lowered but by how much he could not say. It seems taxes increase considerably each year. Also, is it true that if you make any small repair or upgrade they jack up your taxes? Other than the taxes, I don't know what it is like there, are people down to earth, is it all about keeping up with the Jone's? The school seems really nice (village school), I have a 4 year old and want to know if she is going to fit in or is it going to be a problem if you don't wear juicy couture? Any and all info will truly be appreciated. I need guidance.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 AM

119 posts, read 450,586 times
Tuckahoe? Tuck a hoe? Tuck-a-hoe? Where the heck do we come up with these town names?

Old 01-01-2009, 03:02 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Coincidentally, there actually is a Tuckahoe on LI, way out in Southampton....though I don't think anyone calls it that.

I'm hoping Walter finds this thread so he can post the map of it, I don't believe he's ever had the opportunity to post that one before!

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,863,346 times
Taxes in Westchester are generally high. And, yes, if you make capital improvements to your home, there are almost always tax increases. And they know that these improvements are made, because you need permits to do any construction. Then, when the construction is done, you need a certificate of occupancy. So the town is intimately knowledgeable about any alterations.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:44 AM

119 posts, read 450,586 times
Tuckahoe, Long Island - Long Island New York

Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 AM

701 posts, read 3,314,903 times
True as to major alterations, anything requiring a permit, any change in square footage.
Not true as to any "small repair.".
Fixing a window or getting a new dishwasher does not affect your taxes. Even a fairly major renovation like updating kitchens and bathrooms will not typically affect your taxes.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,278,389 times
Tuckahoe has a different character than neighboring areas that tend to be more trend-oriented. It's a relaxed village, and many people who live there have a strong sense of community. You should fit in fine, and not have to worry about the previling trends in automotive and fashion circles. The school district is sold, though small, and the area is convenient from a transportation perspective, both automotive and train.

Insofar as the house is concerned, repairing a handyman special is not going to increase the taxes, since the assessed value is based upon the existing building and land, and generally does not factor condition, otherwise each house would have to be independently evaluated, inside and out, to calculate the taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County