Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 PM

375 posts, read 1,573,109 times

Advertisements

I searched craigslist after writing my last post and found this in White Plains. I know this building and I think this is a good balance of your budget and location. ★ Huge Garden Apt Condo+Parking Incld+Hardwd Flrs+Walk to ALL (http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/nfb/1645024813.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 36,645 times
Jefferson Place is very "cute" but I have asmall dog and a high rise won't work well

Old 03-26-2010, 04:00 PM

375 posts, read 1,573,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandco View Post
Jefferson Place is very "cute" but I have asmall dog and a high rise won't work well
Another place I can recommend is a place called Fulton Gardens.
25 County Center Rd White Plains

You won't find a website for it because it is one of those family run rental places. It is a 2 story garden style brick complex, built in the early 1930's. So, it isn't modern, but it is clean and safe.

You can contact the rental office at 212-795-0719.

I know they allow cats, but I don't remember seeing dogs there. You should ask if you call. 1 bedroom in that complex was going for about $1600 about a year ago with plenty of parking for you and visitors. It is also within 10 mintue walk to the White Plains train station.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times
From your other post, I know you were considering Hastings as well, and you might find something in the small downtown area, but it might be over a commercial property. Dobbs Ferry might have something, too, but it will likely be an older building.

If you don't mind a 20-30 minute drive to work, and want a nice town area, I would consider Mount Kisco. It's Northern Westchester, but it's adjacent to Bedford, which offers a back way to get to Greenwich to visit your friend without dealing with highway traffic. The downtown area has a number of good restaurants, numerous shops, local bakeries, and Starbucks. Adjacent areas in Katonah and Bedford Hills provide for additional shopping and dining, though you will not find a national chain in Katonah -- the area has basically outlawed them, much like Larchmont. There are local organic markets, and Whole Foods is in White Plains, or Greenwich.

Nothern Westchester is far less congested than Lower Westchester, and there are many opportunities for outdoor recreational pursuits in the immediate area. The train to Manhattan is about an hour, but if you're commuting for leisure pursuits, it's an easier hour than if you are doing so for work each day.

You might find a little more for your money than White Plains, and you could take 117 the whole way to work, but the Saw Mill Parkway could save you a few minutes. It's inland, but you're also not far from Ridgefield, CT (for even more shopping, dining, and cultural options), and the Hudson and Sound are not terribly far away, either.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM

295 posts, read 1,503,451 times
Hall ave & lake street isn't the very best part of lake street, but it's not horrible.

2 years ago, we rented a furnished studio on lake street across the memorial park for around $1300. I'd say that area is safe, close to all, but by no means "luxury". For a "luxury" 1 bedroom, we paid well over $2000.

If you are bringing a car, you should look at places that include parking. To pay for additional parking, it's quite $$, especially the closer to the city you get & street parking, depending on the area, can be impossible.

Having a pet is not going to help you at all.

You should def. make an appointment, make a trip up & visit the areas yourself. Most places want at least 1 year leases.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:16 PM

92 posts, read 358,802 times
If you want some more space for a bit less money, look just outside of White Plains- there are a lot of rentals available in Hartsdale along Central Avenue and East Hartsdale Avenue- both are about a 10 minute drive to downtown White Plains and the ones along East Hartsdale Avenue are walking distance from downtown Hartsdale which has a few nice shops and easy access to the train station. Central Avenue ones have a little easier drive to WP as East Hartsdale Avenue can get a little congested, plus a few of them are garden style.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,937 times
anyone have information on west post road, in white plains?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,299,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romorales View Post
anyone have information on west post road, in white plains?
Which part of west post road?

I grew up on the street that divides post between east and west. I can give you plenty of information about the neighborhood etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County