Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM

34 posts, read 145,080 times

Advertisements

My husband, two small children, and I are originally from Connecticut and are looking to relocate from Brooklyn to a town within an hour commute of Manhattan. After doing some initial research Tarrytown seemed like a charming and affordable (compared to other towns in the Westchester area) town that meet our criteria: walkable, some diversity, a decent school system, friendly (not snobby) people, and fairly safe. Was also wondering if most people own homes or rent in the area? I would appreciate any ones opinions or suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 08:27 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,352 times
I really love Tarrytown. The town is so cute and there are so many great restaurants from Leftyris (sp?) to Sunset Cove. It is definitely diverse and the people are friendly. There is a sense of community in Tarrytown as evidenced by an event they have every third Friday Third Friday in Tarrytown

I've gone a couple of times wih my family and we really enjoyed just hanging out - it gets very crowded!

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the schools but here is a link where you can get more info about the district

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0401030000.pdf (broken link)

Good Luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Tarrytown is pretty mixed in terms of rentals and ownership, with many two-and three-family houses in the downtown area, and a mixture of garden apartment complexes and condos in addition to single-family houses.

The schools tend to be average and there is more diversity in the village than similar school systems in neighboring communities. At the upper grades, there is one school in Tarrytown, from grades 7-12, which tends to make the school fairly large. However, the district does offer AP/Honors programs, such that a motivated student should not have any disadvantage. It's getting the student motivated that can be part of the problem.

And, being a tad more economically diverse than other areas in Westchester with which Tarrytown is compared, parents do not tend to hire outside tutors and use enrichment programs in significant numbers to dramatically rise test scores. That is not to say that there are not tutors used, but it's not akin to a district where just about every student has some sort of outside enrichment to push them to the next level of achievement, which tends to help keep test scores higher.

Tarrytown is convenient and the village has upgraded in recent years, though there are still areas that don't have the uniformly posh, quaint look that characterizes much of that part of Westchester. The area is close to numerous historic sites and large amounts of parkland, which makes it a great place to enjoy the outdoors. One has proximity to shopping in White Plains, and in the adjacent river towns in a few minutes. Sometimes traffic on Broadway can get a bit heavy, but it's not generally that congested.

Overall, if you can deal with the schools, and find a nice part of the area in which to live, it sounds like it would be a good fit for your needs.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 PM

34 posts, read 145,080 times
Thanks for your opinions, it reconfirms my feelings about Tarrytown. Sounds like the ideal place for my family to settle.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:08 AM

30 posts, read 53,192 times
im from white plains but i love tarrytown you can smell firewood buring in hte fall an d the river is right there its cosy and historic and has a magical feeling old houses and trees and churches
i think you will like the live music at the town hall its really lovely

Old 10-12-2010, 09:52 AM

142 posts, read 362,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefferLang View Post
My husband, two small children, and I are originally from Connecticut and are looking to relocate from Brooklyn to a town within an hour commute of Manhattan. After doing some initial research Tarrytown seemed like a charming and affordable (compared to other towns in the Westchester area) town that meet our criteria: walkable, some diversity, a decent school system, friendly (not snobby) people, and fairly safe. Was also wondering if most people own homes or rent in the area? I would appreciate any ones opinions or suggestions. Thanks!
Hi there, we are relocating to Westchester from FL and were clueless as of where to go, you couldn't have said it any better, we are looking for EXACTLY the same things. In the very beginning of our search we picked Tarrytown and now after about 6 months, we still keep coming back to there, also Pleasantville. Would you let us know if you find out anything else as our search criteria is SO similar, thanks

Old 10-26-2010, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 10,769 times
Hi Movinonup,

I'm also in the planning stages for a move to Tarrytown from FL. I am relocating for work, my company has an office in Tarrytown. I am looking towards renting for the first year or two and wondering about living outside of Tarrytown to save on housing costs. My wife and 2 boys will be moving as well, one is 5 the other 2.

I hope things will work out well for everyone.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
Why would you want to live outside of Tarrytown? it really is a great place to raise a family, especially if you have small children. Main street is like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting, full of mom and pop stores.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM

142 posts, read 362,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshivdat View Post
Hi Movinonup,

I'm also in the planning stages for a move to Tarrytown from FL. I am relocating for work, my company has an office in Tarrytown. I am looking towards renting for the first year or two and wondering about living outside of Tarrytown to save on housing costs. My wife and 2 boys will be moving as well, one is 5 the other 2.

I hope things will work out well for everyone.
Thanks, hope it works well for you too! We are just sick of the heat here and nothing to do because of it, spent ALL summer inside-yuck! I'd much rather be cold than sweat.
We are definitely still thinking of Tarrytown/Pleasantville. Take care, good riddens FL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County