Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,326,603 times

Advertisements

The New Haven Line is unique in that it switches from electrified third rail to overhead catenary, which causes a slight delay. Equipment failures are pretty rare, but heavy snow and/or ice storms will cause significant delays on the line. I agree that there would be no problem getting a seat on the train each morning.

Yes, I think that the prices are going to be similar to London, as most of my friends/family from Greater London have never been shocked by prices in Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 PM

137 posts, read 203,250 times
Yes, definitely stay in Manhattan. You're on the right track with the Murray Hill area if you want to be able to walk to Grand Central. If you are willing to take the subway to Grand Central, then you will have lots of options, but I would stick with the green (4,5,6) lines, purple (7) or grey (shuttle) lines.

I suppose it all depends on the type of person you are, but I wouldn't entertain the idea of living in the suburbs, given that you'll only be here for 2 years and you are looking to socialize in the city. Take the opportunity to read your papers and books (phone?) on the train.

I'd be very surprised if you had issues getting a seat, especially since you are doing the reverse commute—lucky you.

cheers.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM

9 posts, read 42,555 times
Side-Slip - I'm curious about how your commute is treating you? I will be in a similar situation commuting from Manhattan to Stamford, but on the fence about whether I should just live in one of the shoreline towns like Mamaroneck, Larchmont, or even right in Stamford? Thank you.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 AM

413 posts, read 1,103,872 times
You'll be doing a reverse commute (most people come into NY to work in the morning, and vice versa), so you should be fine as far as crowding goes.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 AM

6 posts, read 12,768 times
Aeneas73;

In the end I actually decided against taking the job in Stamford, the potential commute from NYC being one of the reasons but others relating to the job itself. I've since moved to another firm who were able to offer me a position in the city so all being well i'll be relocating in late February.
Sorry i can't be of any help.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:45 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideSlip_34 View Post
Excellent, this is just what I needed.

Yes I think maybe, for the first year at least, I’ll opt for living close to Grand Central station and commuting from there. On first inspection the apartment share rents around Murray Hill and Midtown East seem comparable to those in central London, although that will require more research.
I see there is a quote of $258.72 on the metro north site for a monthly ticket for this journey although I’m not sure if that covers the return or I need to double it. So I’ll have to factor that in.

My other questions would be re the Metro North service to Stamford, looking at the schedules it appears that the quickest trains take between 45-55mins from Grand Central, I assume these are the express ones direct to Stamford? Does anyone know if this train gets extremely crowded? If I can get on at Grand Central and get a seat for the journey then I’ll be ok, if I’ll potentially have to stand up on a crammed train everyday then it’s a different matter and i might reconsider.

And one last thing, is this train service generally reliable and on time for the most part?

Thanks
The monthly ticket will allow you to ride as many times as you want between Grand Central and Stamford (I'm pretty sure you could ride between intermediate points if you needed to as well, like if you wanted to go to the Bronx Botanical Gardens for a day, or if you wanted to visit a client in The Bronx)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County