Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 6,978 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to NYC, he will be working in SoHo. We want to live in a safe family friendly neighbourhood. We were told to look into Tarrytown, White Plains etc. It is very important to us to live in a good school district. We´re thinking renting for no more than $2500 but ofcourse less would be great. Good commute for my husband. I would also like to know average monthly living expenses.
Any more info welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 08:32 AM

375 posts, read 1,576,581 times
May I ask where you are moving from?

$2500 rent for a family of 5 is a good price point for White Plains and Tarrytown, but they are not generally regarded as having top schools. Actually, even for these towns, depending on what kind of residence you are looking for, you may need to increase your budget to $3000 or more for a family of 5.

But, in any case, if your budget dictates, then White Plains or Tarrytown is not a bad choice. There are families that fall within a wide range of socio-economic spectrum. But if you wanted to move into those towns that are generally regarded as having top schools, generally homogenous, and upper middle to super rich, within good commuting distance to NYC, well, then you are looking for what everyone else generally considers desirable, and for that you need to shell out some bucks.... For a family of 5, assuming you want a 3bed/2bth, ~1700sqft house, rent is minimum $3500.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:04 PM

132 posts, read 514,941 times
LightningMcQueen is correct generally speaking but good deals can be found. Our family of 6 just relocated from IL and are renting a single family home in Dobbs Ferry (good schools) but Ardsley school district (some say better than DF schools) for $2650. We have 3 bed/ 1.5 bath, small yard, good size rooms and basement playroom etc. Dobbs Ferry train station is between 30/45 min to Grand Central Station depending on what train you catch. Good luck in your search!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,978 times
thanks for the fyi. We are moving from San Diego, CA. My husband would like to commute straight to Penn Station, is that possible from those areas.
We were looking at the map and also saw Mamaroneck, New Rochelle and Mt. Vernon. Are these places good and do they have good schools.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Mamaroneck has good schools. Mount Vernon is not the greatest area, aside from Fleetwood, and the neighborhood schools are okay in that area, not so much in the rest of the area. New Rochelle has some good elementary schools, that score well, but at upper grades, the city's schools are huge, such that some opt for private middle/high schools.

Unfortunately, if you want to commute through Penn, you have to take Amtrak. Metro-North goes only to Grand Central, so you would have to commute from New Rochelle on the Sound Shore via Amtrak to Penn. It's significantly more expensive to do so, than the rates on the commuter rail lines.

Your husband can get a downtown subway at Grand Central, however, so it would only be a difference of a few minutes as opposed to Penn. Penn is more readily accessed from Long Island and New Jersey.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
Long Island Railroad and New Jersey Transit go to Penn Station, Metro North (Westchester) goes to Grand Central Terminal. You may want to look at towns on Long Island or in New Jersey also, but you'll have to take the subway to SoHo anyways so it might not matter.

Also, if you want a good school district you are probably going to have to increase your budget I'm afraid. Are you looking for a house or an apartment? In general, whatever you are thinking expenses will be - double that figure. Things are super expensive in this area, especially compared to San Diego.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5valdsd View Post
My husband is being relocated to NYC, he will be working in SoHo. We want to live in a safe family friendly neighbourhood. We were told to look into Tarrytown, White Plains etc. It is very important to us to live in a good school district. We´re thinking renting for no more than $2500 but ofcourse less would be great. Good commute for my husband. I would also like to know average monthly living expenses.
Any more info welcomed.
Here's some good information on school districts in Westchester County: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County