U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM

620 posts, read 976,825 times

Advertisements

There's a job offer in the making in Stamford, CT. That is, I'll relocate from my current location, Boston, to Stamford, CT.

However, after reading some posts in City-Data, I've decided not to rent in Stamford, CT (or CT in general) because I'm under the impression that people in CT are cold and unfriendly.

Therefore, I'm looking to rent in lower White Plains area in the NY state. My criteria are below:

1) Relatively warm and friendly neighborhood ("relative" is compared to the "cold" Boston/Connecticut);

2) Less than 30 minutes commute to Stamford, CT, by car, AND less than 1 hour commute to Manhattan (in case the job in Stamford doesn't work out) by train;

3) Relatively quiet neighborhood preferrably with smaller houses or townhouses (instead of gigantic apartment complex);

4) The neighborhood is such that I'll be able to park my car for free (on the driveway, for example), and be able to drive around;

5) A one-bedroom apartment for under $1800/month.

Would appreciate suggestions and discussions!

Last edited by LoveAlbuquerque; 04-03-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 PM

828 posts, read 2,163,222 times
What would give you the impression that people in CT are more "cold and unfriendly" than people in Westchester? I think that's flat out wrong - you will find all sorts of people in this area, cold and unfriendly, yes, uptight, yes, super-duper snobby, yes, as well as regular nice friendly people. In both Westchester and CT.

Secondly, I believe you mean lower Westchester, as opposed to White Plains. Westchester is the county just north of NYC, whereas White Plains is a city in Westchester. That said, White Plains would probably be a good place for you to look for an apartment. However, I would seriously consider just looking in Stamford.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:22 PM

620 posts, read 976,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
What would give you the impression that people in CT are more "cold and unfriendly" than people in Westchester?

Secondly, I believe you mean lower Westchester, as opposed to White Plains. Westchester is the county just north of NYC, whereas White Plains is a city in Westchester. That said, White Plains would probably be a good place for you to look for an apartment.
Sorry if I offended you by commenting on the cultures of different areas. My knowledge about the friendliness of these areas is gained through reading some posts on City-Data.

According to your message, it seems that people are diverse in terms of their attitude in CT and White Plains. Among 100 residents in an area, if there are 5 friendly folks who are willing to help in times of great difficulties, that'll be an acceptable place for me.

Thanks for clarifying my confusion about Westchester and White Plains. Yes, I must have meant lower Westchester. However, according to your answer, White Plains may meet my criteria.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 AM

30 posts, read 48,433 times
i live in white plains and i think people here are not cold but not overly warm either
people respect each others privacy its not like the south
rent here is 1 bedroom like 1400/month
parking is hard to find on street you have to find apt with garage
but its nice here safe for most part and lots of churches and schools and stores
everything is quiet after 7 and bars are open until 4
lots of families and kids lots of latinos
trees and parks and close to manhattan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County