U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 AM

22 posts, read 70,712 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved to the Yonkers/Bronxville area and are thinking of starting a family. Does anyone have any suggestions on daycare and what are the cost's? We live in the bronxville rd/Midland ave area.

Thanks,

T.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM

58 posts, read 226,121 times
Sorry to disappoint you with this post...but I've seen many threads on Day Care in Westchester, and I have yet to see much of a response.

I can't think of one commodity where demand so far outstrips supply as Day Care. Is this due to litigiousness of this area?

I can tell you that one resource is the Child Care Council of Westchester, although personally I haven't used it. They seem to have a lot of information, and a service for matching you with a provider. Here is the link:
Child Care Council of Westchester, Inc. / For Parents looking for Childcare in Westchester NY (http://www.childcarewestchester.org/parents_find_cc.htm - broken link)

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 AM

852 posts, read 2,308,072 times
I agree with the previous post - there just aren't that many daycares around here. There are plenty of pre-schools which are half-day (e.g. 9-11:30ish) but full out daycare for working parents seems to be a rarity. I think most people in this area have nannies???

Anyhow, The Child Care Council is a great place to start looking, and I don't know where you work, but if it's in Westchester you should consider looking along the route the work, as they ARE out there.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:36 PM

28 posts, read 112,707 times
I would avoid home based daycare settings. Bright Beginnings is in Yonkers. I don't know how it is but the ones in Elmsford are great. Expect to pay about $1600-1800 for an infant, less as the child gets older. Maybe about $1400 for a toddler.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 AM

23 posts, read 63,256 times
The Montessori schools and similar places in Bronxville won't begin until 18 months or so. New Rochelle has a couple of good options.

Infant/Toddler Montessori House - New Rochelle, Fort Lauderdale - The Nurtury
Children's Corner Learning Centers | Childcare in Westchester, Rockland, Orange & Bronx Counties

But your best option is to search the New York State registry. All places must be licensed, so all will be listed here: New York State Office of Children and Family Services

Good luck!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 10,889 times
Hi! I just wanted to let you know, I am the owner of two Group Family Daycare's in Yonkers. Both of my sites are operated by certified teachers, and we are licensed through NY State and are registered with the Child Care Council of Westchester. If you want more information or would like to schedule an interview, feel free to visit my website kristinaslittleangels.com, or call me at 914 403 0059. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:40 PM

86 posts, read 264,680 times
The Nurtury Montessori in New Rochelle (close to Eastchester and Bronxville) takes infants, and they have full day programs. I don't know the cost for their infant program but guess it is around 17-19k a year.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:58 PM

72 posts, read 152,701 times
Locations

This place has several locations.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 25,629 times
Hi, I first want to say that it bothers me when people make silly blanket statements like "avoid home based day cares" without giving an explanantion or any supporting information. I too run a family child care center (or "home based") as it was put above. We have a super low ratio (not provided by outside "centers"), staff educated (with degrees) in early childhood (which most centers do not have until your child is a minimum of 3 years old), child development and child psychology, we're generally more flexible with days/hours and times and most of us (in this area) began our business because of a love for children. Many of us are and have staff that are CPR certified -you'd be surprised to learn that many centers are not only not required to have thier staff CPR certified but ARE NOT. I only learned that after a death at a larger center where a child was choking and they couldn't find anyone that knew CPR (and I won't use their name). Licensed "home based" centers, EXACTLY like outside centers, are required to adhere to Health and Safety regulations and many of us go way above and beyond those requirements and yes, we are often cheaper, not because we have less experience (it's often the opposite) or run a less efficient, clean, well maintained environment but because we have less overhead. That's it. When looking into childcare you should consider all of your options to decide what the best scenrio is for you. There are many positives to placing your child with a "family" center as opposed to an outside center, but whatever you decide, you should look at all of your options because not all families are created equally the same way daycare centers are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County