Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:43 PM

11 posts, read 95,408 times

Advertisements

If we live in NJ and I commute by bus to the GWB bust stop, I would have to walk from the bus stop at 179th St & Broadway to 168th St and Broadway, about 0.6 mi on Broadway.

How safe is this? Especially at night in the winter (I will probably not work past 7 pm)?

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Broadway is fine around the hospital, as it tends to be a busy road in that area. You could take the hospital's shuttle to the bus station, which is the safest option. Here's a link: Columbia University: Columbia University Transportation Services I just read the link and if it does not apply for your situation, the M100 bus travels along Broadway between the hospital and the bus terminal, too. I would prefer the bus at night, as a general safety precaution, and it can come in handy in inclement weather.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anda2010 View Post
If we live in NJ and I commute by bus to the GWB bust stop, I would have to walk from the bus stop at 179th St & Broadway to 168th St and Broadway, about 0.6 mi on Broadway.

How safe is this? Especially at night in the winter (I will probably not work past 7 pm)?

thank you.
It's not the best of areas, but it's not unsafe... IMO this walk will be much better than taking the train to 125th & then taking a bus across 125th & then a subway uptown to 168th.

No matter which way you cut this, it's not going to be an easy for you & your husband. What bmw said about him commuting home is very true & going to be particularly painful. A friend of mine actually did a similar commute & she seemed to say it took her more like 2 hours. She ended up moving.

To find an apartment in Hastings, I'd walk around there or look in the Pennysaver (as one poster had already said). I looked at a big real-estate site & saw quite a few listings. Also remember... not all Hastings on the Hudson will be walking distance from the train (and buses don't run at ALL times).

Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Thank you for the replies.

We are now focusing on NJ: Englewood Cliffs and Fort Lee (and thank you again for suggesting this).

We realized that there are not enough reasons for us to live in Hasting on Hudson (which would require my husband crossing GWB; also, we have found that the scool there has a score similar to those in Fort Lee).

The school in Englewood Cliffs seems great (score 10/10). But it may be difficult to find a reasonable place to rent, there is no after-school program in the area, and also the school day starts earlier, which would require us putting our son to bed earlier in the evening and therefore spending even less time with him.

There are two schools with the score 8/10 in Fort Lee that start slightly later in the morning, and apparently it is easier to find better rentals in those school zones.

We still do not know how those areas look like, and plan to visit soon.

We would probably look at other locations in NJ, although I want to be as close to the bridge as possible, so I can spend more time at home than on the road.

I will keep you posted.

Thank you again.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 PM

Good luck with your search. Fort Lee can be pretty nice, actually, depending upon the style of place you find for rent. And you certainly cannot beat the convenience for a commute to Upper Manhattan. Englewood Cliffs is a more prestigious area, so the scores will tend to be higher, because there are more parents who place a value on education, or who will pay for after school tutors, etc. A motivated student can do just as well in a district like Fort Lee, especially if it meets your needs for school care and start time.

City-Data FAQs

Old 04-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Well, we are still looking (apparently, we need to wait until May to find rentals for July).

BMW, you said about commuting from Englewood Cliffs or Fort Lee that " It would be a 30-40 minute commute for you via bus to Columbia". Are you referring to the whole trip, or just to the bus ride over the bridge?

NJ Trasit schedule shows about 15 minute for the bus ride from Englewood Cliffs to the GWB bus terminal on 178th St. Is this realistic? Someone who sometimes drives in that area told me that the ride may be much longer (maybe 50 minutes). Are there bus lanes on the bridge so that the buses can go faster? How long should I expect the bus ride over the bridge to actually be?

Thank you.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 PM

From what I recall, the buses use the EZPass carpool lane, and then proceeds directly to the terminal, which saves the delay at the toll plaza, and there is no exit delay on the Manhattan side to the Henry Hudson or Deegan, or continuing on the Cross Bronx. 30-40 minutes is what I would estimate as being a regular trip to Columbia, though NJTransit can make it from Fort Lee/Englewood Cliffs in 15 scheduled minutes to the GWBBS as they are much closer to the bridge, and if you're commuting at an off-peak hour. If it's an especially bad day, or at the height of rush hour, it could take 50 minutes for a single driver, but that would be rare for the bus.

It should only take 10-15 minutes to walk from the bus station to Columbia, as it's around 1/2 mile. And, if you catch the bus on Broadway, it would be only a couple of minutes. The trip from Fort Lee is perhaps 5 miles at most, and closer to 3 miles from many parts of the area. Englewood Cliffs is a little further, 5-7 miles, depending upon area, so the trip would be nearly as fast as Fort Lee.

City-Data FAQs

Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Thank you very much.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
Fort Lee is your best bet. I used to commute (drive) from there to Princeton for 6 months and it took 1.25 hrs. with the commuter traffic. Mind you, I was traveling above the speed limit most of the time. I eventually moved to Princeton for the remainder of my position at work.
Forget about living in Hastings and commuting to Princeton...better off to stay in Philly!!! Hastings would be ideal if your hubby worked in the city!!!

Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM

Thank you.

...We are still looking for rentals in Englewood Cliffs or Fort Lee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County