Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 25,272 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both work in NYC. We are looking to move out to Westchester as we have a toddler and plan on having a larger family soon. We went out looking around Scarsdale today and saw a pretty home in a more affordable range in the Northend of New Rochelle (has a Scarsdale PO and is literally on the border of Scarsdale). Everything I read on here is pretty negative about New Rochelle... just wondering if anyone can tell me more specifics about the pros and cons of the area. Are New Rochelle schools that bad? Is there a big divide between Scarsdale and this area of New Rochelle?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonifer View Post
My husband and I both work in NYC. We are looking to move out to Westchester as we have a toddler and plan on having a larger family soon. We went out looking around Scarsdale today and saw a pretty home in a more affordable range in the Northend of New Rochelle (has a Scarsdale PO and is literally on the border of Scarsdale). Everything I read on here is pretty negative about New Rochelle... just wondering if anyone can tell me more specifics about the pros and cons of the area. Are New Rochelle schools that bad? Is there a big divide between Scarsdale and this area of New Rochelle?

Thanks!
In the north end of NR your child will either attend Davis Elementary or Ward Elementary, both good schools. Davis is smaller and serves just the north end, Ward is a bigger school, serves the north end and dips down further into NR. Both are good schools, with active PTA's.

There is also a magnet school program that is very popular.

There are two middle schools in NR, Isaac Young for the south end of NR and Albert Leonard in the north. I have no experience with Isaac Young, but Albert Leonard is fine.

The high school is where NR slips a bit. New Rochelle is a very diverse town of some 72,000 people, and there is only one high school. So it's enormous, one of the largest in Westchester County, and reflects the diversity of the area. If that is a concern, think Scarsdale, it is the opposite of diverse. But they also have a superior high school.

My kids enjoyed their high school experience, and both were accepted into the college of their choice easily. I recently asked my son what was the worst thing about New Rochelle High School, and he replied "Having to wear braces".

DM me if you need more specific answers.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:51 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
New Rochelle has 4 Catholic high schools within the city, if the public high school isn't to your liking.

Iona Preparatory School

Salesian High School Home Page

http://www.blessedsacstgabhs.org/

the Ursuline School - Home Page

Old 04-17-2010, 05:05 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,876,476 times
And if you're Jewish, it is a heavily Jewish area and I'm pretty sure there's a Jewish parochial school in the area too.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 25,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New Rochelle has 4 Catholic high schools within the city, if the public high school isn't to your liking.

Iona Preparatory School

Salesian High School Home Page

http://www.blessedsacstgabhs.org/

the Ursuline School - Home Page
Thanks! Catholic schools would be fine. I will look into those!

Also the area we are looking at is near Stratton Road and Weaver Street. Am I right in assuming this is the Northend?

Can you tell me a little about this area - diversity, restaurants, culture etc. ?

By the way we are Asian.

Thanks again!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
The differences between Iona Prep and Salesian are vast. Choose carefully.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
The differences between Iona Prep and Salesian are vast. Choose carefully.
Really? I think I know where you going with that, as we have Catholic HS's in my area with certain reputations in comparison to each other. I wouldn't call any of them "bad", but you can tell the difference in terms of prestige. What about Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel's and the Ursuline School?

Old 04-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonifer View Post
Thanks! Catholic schools would be fine. I will look into those!

Also the area we are looking at is near Stratton Road and Weaver Street. Am I right in assuming this is the Northend?

Can you tell me a little about this area - diversity, restaurants, culture etc. ?

By the way we are Asian.

Thanks again!
This information might give you an idea:
Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Census Tract 68.01, Westchester County, New York - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? I think I know where you going with that, as we have Catholic HS's in my area with certain reputations in comparison to each other. I wouldn't call any of them "bad", but you can tell the difference in terms of prestige. What about Blessed Sacrament-St. Gabriel's and the Ursuline School?
I wasn't going anywhere, just to point out that these schools serve very different groups and students behave accordingly. By coincidence I know several kids in each of them and have had other contacts with their respective staffs & administrations. Iona is certainly the more prestigious 9or did I mean pretentious?), but doesn't win many academic accolades as far as I know, and college placement is mediocre compared to Scarsdale HS. Hmmm, I gues that is where ai was going.... I know nothing personally about the girls schools.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM

142 posts, read 961,233 times
The area near Stratton and Weaver is a lovely, family neighborhood. Very safe and quiet- very suburban w nice homes. I would say most send their kids to Davis- which would be the elementary school for that area. It is supposed to be an excellent school. If you choose Catholic school- Sts. John and Paul School is Larchmont seems to be where most in that area send their children. It has an excellent reputation. Most kids from Sts.John and Paul seem to move on to Fordham Prep or Iona Prep. Iona Prep has a grammar school- right on Stratton- which also has an excellent rep- if you have boys. For girls- the most popular choice is Ursuline and next being Holy Child in Rye. You cannot go wrong w the neighborhood or the schools- whether you choose parochial or public. in regards to NRHS- many will choose to send their kids to private high school if that large of a school is too overwhelming. Every kid is different. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County