U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM

14 posts, read 43,153 times

Advertisements

I commute from Pearl River NY to Midtown. It really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out. I get a seat in the morning and and read my book in peace. It takes me about an hour and a half (that includes walking from Penn to Third and 41st. I would not recommend the Tappen Zee in the morning. My commute home is shorter because I can take the express train home from Secacus. Pearl River is the first stop. I admit it is not a great commute but once you get settled its fine. I am so used to it now- and this is coming from someone who commuted 20 minutes door to door up until two years ago! Bus is also an option.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:40 PM

65,878 posts, read 91,764,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrisgirl View Post
I commute from Pearl River NY to Midtown. It really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out. I get a seat in the morning and and read my book in peace. It takes me about an hour and a half (that includes walking from Penn to Third and 41st. I would not recommend the Tappen Zee in the morning. My commute home is shorter because I can take the express train home from Secacus. Pearl River is the first stop. I admit it is not a great commute but once you get settled its fine. I am so used to it now- and this is coming from someone who commuted 20 minutes door to door up until two years ago! Bus is also an option.
Also, what about Suffern, which has train service? Same with Nanuet..... http://atisweb.njtransit.com/sf_trai...dules_map.html

From Nyack, what about crossing the Hudson and catching a train in Tarrytown, Irvington or Philipse Manor? http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,050,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrisgirl View Post
Bus is also an option.
One Friday before Memorial day I left work at 4:00 and got home at 8:00 on the ole Red and Tan.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM

31 posts, read 88,949 times
I have a friend who does home theraphy with Autistic kids in NJ, rockland and Westchester and I have heard her say that NJ has amazing services for special needs kids and that many families move there because of this. I grew up in Rockland and my husband and I are looking for a house in Westchester because of the commute. I would absolutely love to be in Rockland - more grounded, less peteniousness. Neighboring Bergan County as an equally horrible commute. There are parts of NJ such as the Oranges, which have a half hour commute to Penn and I believe the taxes would be less than Westchester.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:19 PM

132 posts, read 471,822 times
Thanks! We ended up buying in N. Westchester Cortlandt Manor- and we could not be happier. Very laid back, friendly people, great communities. We already have many connections and friends. We're working with the local school district right now BUT there is a groovy school that is working on expanding beyond 1st grade (The Garden Road) that we are considering. It's a fabulous school for all kids and kids with sensory stuff like mine. I highly recommend it to anyone nearby...

(Jersey didn't end up working as my husband's in Midtown so Grand Central is much better than Penn for a train station.)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone. We're happily settled in N. Westchester and would recommend it to anyone in a similar situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County