Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 22,159 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I'm pretty clueless about what to expect when I relocate to White Plains so have numerous questions :confused:

For example, is it realistic to live in White Plains and commute to the city on a daily basis or at night?
Where in White Plains would be idealic for a young couple with no children to live?
What are some ammenties to seriously consider when looking for an apt (i.e. parking, heating, ect...).
Would we be ok with only one car?

Any and all feedback is welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited by dolivas; 04-22-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
You will be fine with one car, and you can easily get to/from the city via Metro-North Railroad, Harlem Line. It's faster on an express train to either Grand Central in Midtown or 125th Street in Harlem, at between 30-40 minutes, depending upon train and time of day. Here's a link for schedules and train information: Metro-North Railroad

White Plains is an edge city, so it's not unlike Century City in comparison to Downtown LA, though White Plains has much more bidirectional travel with NYC than CC does with Downtown LA. White Plains has upscale apartments in the downtown area, some of which are in walking distance of the train station and bus stops. There are several shopping areas in White Plains, too, from The Westchester to the City Center and The Galleria, all in the downtown core. There's a Whole Foods in White Plains, and Trader Joe's is in nearby Hartsdale (about 5-10 minutes by car).

Parking is a must, ideally within your building, or driveway if you have a private house.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Thank you much for your time and feedback! You don't know how happy I just got hearing that there is a Trader Joe's Also good to hear about the commute! Some people, who don't live there of course, suggest that it would be an exhausting commute if I wanted to work in the city.

Again, thanks for your input! Very helpful!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Actually, it's a very easy commute, and the commuter trains are like the MetroLink, so it's not a long subway commute, which could be a bit more tiresome, since you're not underground on Metro-North.

There's also another TJ's in Scarsdale, about 10-15 minutes away, as well as a local natural/organic grocery chain known as Mrs. Green's. The TJ's in Scarsdale is about a block from Mrs. Green's, and there's a shopping plaza in the same area, Vernon Hills Mall, on White Plains Road.

I think you would find much to like in White Plains, especially since you can be in Midtown quickly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Can anyone suggest nice areas to live in around White Plains? Where to look say if I'm researching on craiglist? Preferably, centralized, close the commuter trains, accessible bars and restaurant, ect...

Old 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,751 times
You could look into Yonkers, just be careful on where you look. Yonkers can be pretty rough in spots. I do not think the murders are high anymore, but people get mugged and assaulted. You can find some decent hole in the wall places there because Yonkers is more working class, White Plains is a wealthier area with some working class spots.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Thank you for your time and the Yonker tips. As of now, we are planning on concentrating specifically on the White Plains area. Don't know if you are familiar with White Plains and know of specific areas, streets, that would be conducive to a young couple, one of whom will be going to school and the other whom will be working full-time (hopefully working in the city that is). I'm curious about good areas in White Plains also close to the public transportation system.
Thanks in advance to your time!

Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolivas View Post
Thank you for your time and the Yonker tips. As of now, we are planning on concentrating specifically on the White Plains area. Don't know if you are familiar with White Plains and know of specific areas, streets, that would be conducive to a young couple, one of whom will be going to school and the other whom will be working full-time (hopefully working in the city that is). I'm curious about good areas in White Plains also close to the public transportation system.
Thanks in advance to your time!
What kind of apartment complex do you prefer?

Closer to the train station, you have places like the Bank Street Commons and the Avolon, which would be the preferred types of places for young couples with no children.

Further away from the train station, you can find older garden style 1930's type of complex to units in a multifamily home. There is one such place I can recommend because we used to live there. I'll send you a PM with the info. This place has a center court with a big circular diveway with free parking for all residents, and any visitors. It is close enough to walk to the train station and good rent for White Plains. It's not luxury, but it's very practical.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:28 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,877 times
Try Mamaroneck Ave in White Plains. Central location, close to all. If you want to go upscale there is also the Ritz Carlton Residences in WP...

Old 04-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Wow, thanks guys! You don't how appreciative I am with any and all tips especially since I will be just uprooting to WP without having visited it before. So you could say I'm pretty darn clueless!! Thanks "Lightening McQueen" for the suggestion, I took a look and certainly liked the price, parking situation (seeing that we will have 1 car), and possible location.
Now, I'll have to check out Bank Street Commons, Avolon, and Mamaroneck Ave.
Any more suggestions would be Gurrreat!!!
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County