Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,777 times

Advertisements

hello just moved here from texas, currently in hotel looking for apartments, we are a young married couple with 2 young children ( 1 and 3 yo)
we are searching for an apartment close to westchester because this is where my husband has accepted a job offer....we can afford anywhere up to 2000 a month or a little more 2200?
not sure where to even start....we drove through peekskill today...was not impressed..no offense to people who live there but just not what i am looking for....not into the whole uphill downhill drives either...i am prob being alittle picky but my q is where the heck is there a safe urbanized area? no projects ....looking for a area where i can take my kids to the park and not be afraid! commute ok so maybe brooklyn? HELP! ....we have no idea whats a good area or not...some look ok and then I hear that they are not that great!
ANY RESPONSES PLEASE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,565 times
Westchester is a county. Do you know where/what town or city in Westchester your husband's job is? How long will you be staying/are schools important?

The more north you go in the county the more rural you get. The only really "urbanized" area is the city of White Plains, and parts of Yonkers and Mount Vernon, but I don't think you should be looking there. Also, there are more hills on the Hudson river side vs. the Long Island Sound side. Off the top of my head here are some towns to get your search started:

White Plains
Pelham
Bronxville
Larchmont
Mamaroneck
Harrison
Rye
Scarsdale
Eastchester
Tuckahoe

By the way, what made you start your search in Peekskill??? Westchester is arguably one of the richest, fanciest parts of the entire country, so if you are seeing projects and not feeling safe then you aren't looking in the right place...

Old 04-25-2010, 09:40 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Lower Westchester is going to be a bit more expensive, and $2200 in Westchester does not go as far as other areas of the country.

If you're looking to reside in NYC, be aware that you need to pay resident income tax. And, Brooklyn would be too far if you need to get to Westchester. I would look in Riverdale (the most Northwest area of The Bronx) if you want the city, since it's very close to Westchester, and is a good neighborhood. You would need to check the deductions on a site like paycheckcity.com, citing NYC resident to gauge the extra expense.

I would suggest Mount Kisco or Bedford Hills, but they can be tough for a 3BR near your price point. For a 3BR, I'd expect to be paying around $2,500 to start in those areas, but you can find a 2BR. Mamaroneck would be more in line with a 2BR as well. Pelham would also be a consideration, and you might find a smaller 3BR around the upper end of your range, but could find a 2BR toward the lower end, or a little below, depending upon how much space you would need. You're not going to find many with more than 1 bathroom, however, since that would tend to push the price much higher.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County