U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM

132 posts, read 491,777 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience or know of anyone who does with the special services in Tarrytown schools? We are considering a move there as it is more affordable than other Westchester towns (and has more diversity and a more developed town center). I know their numbers aren't as high as other places but I'm not sure we put that much emphasis on test scores as a good school has a lot more than what can be measured on a test (especially if there is a high non-native english speaking population which artificially lowers test scores etc.) If we didn't have children with IEPs, I don't think we'd give it a second thought. We're just hoping to hear more about how difficult it is to get services from the district and how inclusive their programming is on the ground.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 335,253 times
Hi mclairch

I don't know about the tarrytown districts services but I wanted to mention that it has been suggested to me to call the boards of education for the areas that I'm interested in and see if i can speak to someone in the special Ed office.

I have also searched to see if a district has a septa, and contact the chairperson to discuss their experiences with that district.

I found a site called septa914.com that I've found interesting. They have a link to the emails for the school districts special Ed contacts. It says that they are not for general public use but if you couldn't send an email, they shouldn't have this page open to the public.

Contacts - Westchester NY SEPTA (http://www.septa914.com/3.html - broken link)

hope this link works.

You may have already tried this avenue but I thought I would suggest it. Good luck, I'm following your posts.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 AM

132 posts, read 491,777 times
Thanks! Eastcoastlover. I have found their SEPTA. The website seems pretty active and I've emailed the president. Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any experience with district as well. Right now if Tarrytown can handle the kids we might land there. Although Croton is really the front runner as well. Crazy the amount of variables that goes into this choice.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:36 PM

Location: San Fernando Valley, CA but desperately hoping to move back to New York
74 posts, read 335,253 times
Good to hear, I figured that you had probably gone that route already.

Hopefully someone with experience with tarrytowns special Ed will be of help to you.

Again, we both seem to be interested in the same areas, I hope it all works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County