U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 11,133 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
We are in our twenties and a single income couple. I'm getting transferred to White Plains (WP) to work for my current employer on South Broadway (10601). We are planning to rent a 1/2 BR apartment/condo in a relatively inexpensive but safer area. We are from Asia and will be in NYC area for the first time and would like to stay in a diverse and safer location. Do you have any idea of such areas where we could rent an aptmt/condo for about 1500-1800 per month? I have a car but DONT want to drive much (not more than 10-20 minutes) to the work.
I've been searching on google and I went through dozens of threads in this (NY-Westchester) forum already.
However, most of the threads are more than a year old and I wanted to get the latest opinions and inputs from you about staying in and around WP area. It looks like safety and economy of accomodation varies in WP greatly from one part of the city to another, so I'm confused.
BTW, we dont have any kids (so schools don't matter), but we are foodies and would welcome proximity to different restaurants.
My assumption based on the research is that following towns will be good (safe, inexpensive) some parts of WP (I dont know which though, downtown/north/south?), Hartsdale, Tarrytown, Mamaroneck, and New Rochelle. Am I correct? How should I look for good rental places?
I may be asking too vague question, but I need to know something before deciding where exactly to look for. This will help me a lot considering I dont know anybody from there. Any kind of input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance... god bless you!

Last edited by neo_andy; 05-30-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: I forgot to mention this...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM

94 posts, read 238,311 times
Default You definitely want to check out Hartsdale

Neo Andy, you should definitely check out Hartsdale, there are good renting options in your price range, and it is a very short commute to White Plains. There are numerous websites where you can search for rentals, PM me if you want me to send you any. We moved to a house in Hartsdale about 5 months ago and really love it.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:22 AM

853 posts, read 2,311,235 times
There are lots of options within White Plains itself and I would definitely start there. You've got lots of restaurant options along Mamaroneck Ave and in that general vicinity it's pretty safe and would be a good option for a younger professional couple.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,118,201 times
There are plenty of options especially if your looking to live in White Plains. You'll definitely be able to find something in that price range right in/around downtown White Plains. If your working on South Broadway you probably won't even need your car (just walk if your living in the downtown area), the neighborhood is safe for the most part. I grew up in the neighborhood/vicinity and I can say throughout the last 7-9 years there has been a huge influx of younger working professionals. Overall it's a very diverse area, and Mamaroneck ave has a number of restaurants/bars etc.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 AM

701 posts, read 3,178,673 times
As others have said, there is nothing wrong with White Plains. There are many apartment buildings right on Broadway, and the Lake Street area, which should meet your needs. Yes, there are some specific neighborhoods of White Plains you may wish to avoid (such as you wouldn't want to go too far down Lake Street, stay closer to Broadway). You should be able to get a sense of the neighborhood, when you're actually looking at rentals. In your price range, you can even afford a 1-bedroom in one of the newer "luxury" buildings around White Plains. (Though not the ultra-luxury of the Ritz) But buildings like 1 City Center and Bank Street Commons, may be close to your upper price range. (For an international foodie who doesn't like to drive, Bank Street Commons is right by the train station, for easy access to Manhattan).

Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM

32 posts, read 61,452 times
Default Tarrytown

I googled Tarrytown 10591 to your workplace WP 10601. A 9 mins commute. I live in a apartment in Tarrytown at 119/ broadway intersection. I speak high about the place where I live. Quiet, parking available, W/D - dishwasher in every unit and optional garage. PM me if you need details. This community is very international (Chinese/Indian/Vietnamese/Polish/Russian/Cacuassian........). Well maintained. PM me for details :-)

Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,133 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I think I will do just fine in White Plains.
After reading all these replies, it sounds like places on or just around broadway and Mameroneck Ave will suite my needs.
However, Hartsdale also looks like an attractive option that is not that far away from my workplace on south broadway. I've been searching online for good apartments but am not sure yet as to where exactly to go. I think it is going to be a trade-off... vicinity to workplace, entertainment/dining places, rent, and quiet surroundings among others.
Anyways, thanks all for your inputs.

neo_andy

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 AM

10,768 posts, read 17,413,876 times
Almost all of White Plains would be good for you. There is a tiny area just south of downtown that's a bit sketchy (and has a couple of "project" buildings), but that's really it.

Though not an issue for you, I'd even say schools are "OK" (not as "good" as the richer, expensive suburban towns, but not anything like the more "urban" city districts like Mt. Vernon, Yonkers, or Peekskill......but as you'll see if you look on these boards, Westchesterites are among the pickiest people in America when it comes to schools). Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 AM

30 posts, read 50,333 times
im korean american and ive lived in white plains for awhile 25 years i love white plains its where the shopping is and where all the churches are look for a apartment on barker ave and or lake st. rent should be cheaper also on battle hill behind train station.port chester has cheaper rent but travel is terrible in winters i think also dont overlook new rochelle it might be cheaper if you look close...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County