Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 02:09 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times

Advertisements

Seems like this new town-home community (http://hudsonharborny.com/dev.php - broken link) on the Hudson is failing miserably. Built on old industrial land the developers were fined for excavating contaminated materials. This is a complex that touts its "green (http://hudsonharborny.com/dev.php#/green/ - broken link)" geothermal heating systems, but it is built on a brownfield contaminated site.

The park across the street from the complex is in complete disrepair. For years the park has been under construction and it remains an eyesore. Cracked sidewalks, fences cut open, areas closed off to the public, cracks in the ball courts, unusable handball courts covered in graffiti and restrooms that are closed. This park says crack era NY more than $1.8 million townhome.

While the view from Hudson shores and beautiful and the access to metro north is convenient how do the developers expect to sell a townhome on contaminated land, next to a dilapidated park, adjacent to public housing for $1.2 to $1.8 million. When I stopped by it seems like the complex is completely vacant; after 18 months nobody lives there.

Will the developers discount the town-homes or will the place continue to sit empty for years to come?

Last edited by samyn on the green; 06-03-2010 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM

701 posts, read 3,324,584 times
If they really don't sell after completion, then they will drop prices. Doesn't do them any good to sit vacant. But, looking over their website... 3000sf+ luxury townhouses on the waterfront.... Only a few units available, I suspect they will be able to sell them without dropping prices too significantly. (Though I could be wrong).

Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
If i'm right, I don't believe that the development is even finished yet, I'm usually hanging out in the park on sundays and it looks like they're still working on stuff. Trust me its far off from crack era, NY I used to live in the vicinity and its a great area.

The park isn't in disrepair, they're just modernizing at the moment so there are fences/construction up everywhere. This doesn't stop people from getting to the waterfront though, there are gaps in the fences and people still sit on the benches and fish etc.

It looks alot better than what used to be there (an ugly asphalt plant). I don't know what the hold up is in finishing the development, but I doubt that. There was supposed to be a retail component to the development as well but I don't know what happened to that part.

The brownfield that your talking about is not that far away, its where the GM plant used to sit. They haven't developed anything over there for years. I saw a diagram for the creation of a park over there a few months ago. Now there are some apts/luxury townhomes that were built across the street from that site years ago but I don't know if they sold alot of units or not.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:55 PM

I just have to revisit this thread.

I was in the park by the train station just a few days ago, and lo and behold I saw quite a few new tenants enjoying their townhouses on the waterfront, quite the opposite of a ghost town.

The economic demographic of the people living in the townhouses is no doubt much different than the parts of the immediate surrounding neighborhood. I believe this is a good thing, it adds a much needed economic diversity in the neighborhood around the train station. The thing with that neighborhood was that the closer you got to the waterfront the poorer the neighborhood was. Although walking up the hill things would change rather dramatically, especially once you got on/towards South Broadway.

I think it would be great if there were businesses like the type on South Broadway or even Main st. that started to open up around the Train Station, aside from that Walgreens or Mcdonalds.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM

My gut tells me that the developer is telling a lie about the sales so far. The place looks 10% occupied. What is worse is that the waterfront park is in abject disrepair and deserted. At least parks in the city near housing projects are maintained and have life. The park adjacent to this complex is neglected and nobody goes there. Rusted fences with holes in them, lonely handball courts that nobody uses and tennis courts in disrepair. It is a park with no people across the street from a million dollar complex built on brownfield land with no residents. What a depressing location for a $3 million townhome.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 11,293 times
Default Hudson harbor

I have looked into this place. Well built. Environmental clean up had to be done before they got approval to proceed. Phase one is about two thirds sold. The project was delayed due to real estate crash that happened everywhere. Park will be upgraded as part of the approved plan. The pool will be open for summer 2011. So will the ice cream store. Phase two will be offered in September 2010. This place will be special.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 AM

506 posts, read 1,312,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
My gut tells me that the developer is telling a lie about the sales so far. The place looks 10% occupied. What is worse is that the waterfront park is in abject disrepair and deserted. At least parks in the city near housing projects are maintained and have life. The park adjacent to this complex is neglected and nobody goes there. Rusted fences with holes in them, lonely handball courts that nobody uses and tennis courts in disrepair. It is a park with no people across the street from a million dollar complex built on brownfield land with no residents. What a depressing location for a $3 million townhome.

The park has been getting a major repair and overhaul. Before that, it was a very well used park. Why are you making these posts? Do you have some sort of interest in spreading bad information? It's a terrific location, right on the Hudson overlooking two marinas with restaurants on the water , a park, and right next to a train station with 35 minute express trains to Grand Central.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 PM

Thank you TDNY for that! The neighborhood by the train is compact, and its great. I was at the park numerous times this summer, when they finish remodeling it, it will be great. It looks like they're connecting the whole waterfront together.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Default have been going to this area for years

This is great information because it provides empirical evidence from someone that knows the area. These observations are unbiased opinions from multiple visits to the area. Buyers are only going to hear the company line manipulating the opinion about how great the area is; this is all a set-up to buy. My opinion is unbiased and I have no interest in whether or not someone buys a $3 million condo next to a dilapidated park built on brownfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
The park has been getting a major repair and overhaul. Before that, it was a very well used park. Why are you making these posts? Do you have some sort of interest in spreading bad information? It's a terrific location, right on the Hudson overlooking two marinas with restaurants on the water , a park, and right next to a train station with 35 minute express trains to Grand Central.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This is great information because it provides empirical evidence from someone that knows the area. These observations are unbiased opinions from multiple visits to the area. Buyers are only going to hear the company line manipulating the opinion about how great the area is; this is all a set-up to buy. My opinion is unbiased and I have no interest in whether or not someone buys a $3 million condo next to a dilapidated park built on brownfield.
Dude, where is your head at? I lived in this neighborhood for a few years and commented on this thread back in june.

use your head (Duh)

of course the company is going to try and set you up to buy, thats their job to sell (to bait and switch). You've been given "empirical evidence" in this thread from people (including myself) who know the neighborhood/area. It seems as if you have something in your pocket spreading false information. Its hilarious that you compared the park to the crack era day (I lived through that era as kid in the late 80's/early 90's and your comparison is waaay off base).

granted, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and when it comes down to it...I really don't give a **** about how much these townhouses cost. I have no interest in buying one, but I think its great how this development has spurred reinvestment in the immediate vicinity around it. One thing I clearly have a problem with is people spreading disinformation about places that they haven't experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: