Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM

99 posts, read 187,351 times

Advertisements

We're planning on retiring to NC in the next 1.5 years. We've spent quite a few visits checking out areas and seem to really like the Waynesville area. I love everyone's honesty on these boards and would like your thoughts on this area. We are looking for land with mt and valley views. Any communities you would recommend (in the less than $70,000 range for 1-2 acreas)? We love to hike and would like trails nearby if possible.

Thanks so much for your input.

Barb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:22 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,345,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbBr View Post
We're planning on retiring to NC in the next 1.5 years. We've spent quite a few visits checking out areas and seem to really like the Waynesville area. I love everyone's honesty on these boards and would like your thoughts on this area. We are looking for land with mt and valley views. Any communities you would recommend (in the less than $70,000 range for 1-2 acreas)? We love to hike and would like trails nearby if possible.

Thanks so much for your input.

Barb

Barb, can't help you with specific places to look in Waynesville as I've only been a tourist there myself.

But I wanted to make you aware that if you are considering buying property in western NC you want to educate yourself about the problem of landslides. Here is one website you can check out: WNCSOS

And and older thread where landslides were discussed: //www.city-data.com/forum/weste...asheville.html

Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,541,056 times
I wouldn't lose any sleep over the current landslide paranoia; yes there may be some severe slope property, but if/when one is serious about a site,
a few hundred buck inspection by a licensed civil/geotechnical engineer, maybe in conjunction with the potential builder, should weed out any serious problem(s).

We live above Waynesville, at 5,000 ft on a steep slope and have never had a problem even during Hurricanes Ivan & Frances, though those were not fun.

Since few of us are in the RE biz here, and no commercial links are allowed, it will be difficult for someone to say, "yeah, there's a great lot over on so & so ridge", etc.

My advice is to GOOG Waynesville Real Estate, get into the RE sites and see what land they have to offer. Also, many parcels never make it for sale on these sites, so some phone calls to those RE agents' offices may add some more to your list. Once you get a list of possibilities, some of us could offer more opins, I am sure. And, nothing beats umptyseven trips to the site(s) on your short list, with compass, topo map, and thinking cap inplace, before building.
GL, mD

Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,229,598 times
Barb,
I know a good place to check out. Lake Junaluska is two miles outside Waynesville, U.S. 19 outta town to the southeast will take you right to it. It also has its own exit off I-40. When I visited the website for that community looking for real estate, I saw two diff lots (one of them was an acre) in your price range, a couple more higher a little in price. It's a big lake (you can go boating) with a hotel and conference center on it, a long walking path around the whole thing, and then graduated up the hills and in the woods around it are all these nice homes, plus a few lots are usually for sale, complete with water/sewer and utilities available. In addition to the lake trail, there's another trail off it, and then they've just about completed a "greenway" from Lake Junaluska to Waynesville...imagine that! You could WALK to Waynesville, plus it's along the river there. I'm sure if that area doesn't suit you for property, you might spy a home you like on that lake.
GG

Old 07-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Thank you all for your help. We have seen some lots already but none that we liked other than one in Campbell Mt estates but neighbors were awful close. We're going back down in August to look some more.

Barb

Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 PM

73 posts, read 275,860 times
Barb, we have a retirement/second home there. We were just up there and I spent more than a few pleasant afternoons cycling down a few of the back roads.

The Bethel area, just 5 miles south of Main Street, off 276, is great. There are properties that fit your needs. If you go to the intersection of 276 and 110, about 5 miles south of Main Street, you will find some beautiful properties. We are about half way up Ratcliff Mountain on 2.5 acres and have a great view. Some areas I saw that have a lot of promise are off Stamey Cove Road, off Love Joy Road and off 215, south of 276.

Bethel is nice because it is a viable, active community, close to Waynesville and only about 30 minutes from Asheville. If you take 215 South, you get into Pisgah National Forest pretty quickly. The people in the area are very nice.

Spend some time driving around on some of those roads and you'll see lots of great areas. If you want elevation and views, you can buy some vacant 2 to 4 acre properties in your price range or even less; I think you could buy a 2 to 4 acre mountain side lot easily within that price range. If you want better year round access, you should be able to find something along one of those roads.

Good luck! We love it there and I would like to be there a lot more than we can manage right now.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 AM

[quote=67walkon;15012866]Barb, we have a retirement/second home there. We were just up there and I spent more than a few pleasant afternoons cycling down a few of the back roads.

The Bethel area, just 5 miles south of Main Street, off 276, is great. There are properties that fit your needs. If you go to the intersection of 276 and 110, about 5 miles south of Main Street, you will find some beautiful properties. We are about half way up Ratcliff Mountain on 2.5 acres and have a great view. Some areas I saw that have a lot of promise are off Stamey Cove Road, off Love Joy Road and off 215, south of 276.

Thanks so much 67walkon. We haven't checked that area out so we will definitely look there next month when we go back.

Barb

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 AM

[quote=67walkon;15012866]Barb, we have a retirement/second home there. We were just up there and I spent more than a few pleasant afternoons cycling down a few of the back roads.

Thanks 67walkon. We haven't checked that area before. We will definitely go there next month when we visit.

Barb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina