Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

80 posts, read 322,809 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any insight into whether the Tiger Woods golf course at the Cliffs at High Carolina is on hold? I've heard some rumors to that effect and some hints of financial issues at the Cliffs. Grateful for any insights. Thanks.

Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
Does anyone have any insight into whether the Tiger Woods golf course at the Cliffs at High Carolina is on hold? I've heard some rumors to that effect and some hints of financial issues at the Cliffs. Grateful for any insights. Thanks.

Larry
There are billboards everywhere about Tiger and the Cliffs coming into Asheville on I-40. Don't know if this means anything.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 PM

244 posts, read 714,691 times
Their timing sure isn't great.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 PM

141 posts, read 323,047 times
Actually Jim Anthony's Cliff Communities timing was great. He just over reached...wonder how well those million dollar investment properties are moving? What you actually thought people were buying these monstrous homes to retire to...?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,705,464 times
I don't know specifically about The Cliffs, but I know of several other golf course developments in the area that are facing financial problems. For example, Seven Falls Golf and River Club in Henderson County. I would not be surprised if The Cliffs at High Carolina (I think that's what this one is called) is having trouble.

Seven Falls facing $5 million in liens | (Hendersonville) Times-News Online

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Here is a good summation of all of these developments for egomaniacs, they range from "bankrupt" to "lagging expectations". One close to Asheville hasn't sold a lot since September.

Buyers for expensive homes hard to find | CITIZEN-TIMES.com | Asheville Citizen-Times

Old 04-23-2009, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,160 times
So many of these high end developments are in trouble. I stopped in to The Cliffs High Carolina sales office about 3 weeks ago, they claim they are selling, but I do not believe it. They have sold signs on their boards, but anyone can tack sold on a board. Their other community at Walnut Cove is in trouble. they have not built many homes on the lots. People who bought land thought they would flip them.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM

765 posts, read 2,568,386 times
Yep, and the really funny thing is that the bozos who bought them used the now non-existent equity in their homes to float the loan for the land. So now they have a lot they can't afford to build on and that they can't sell, and they have to make payments on their equity loan or lose the shooting match. Reminds me of a line from the movie Independence Day--payback is hell boys!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,488 times
Information released recently indicates that they had 18 closings in July, 16 in August, 80 appointments set up for fall and 800+ inquiries. Anybody have any insight into this?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:19 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,511 times
A friend of ours that is a realtor in Asheville, said he heard there were some foreigners buying property there. I don't know if he is correct or not. Maybe just gossip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina