Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 12:23 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times

Advertisements

So, last winter, when everyone would hunker down and not drive when it snowed, I had places to be, and I was not about to just sit at home. So I drove around, and it was no problem. In fact, the only problems were when other people almost plowed into ME! However, last winter, I had a 4x4 vehicle with full-time 4x4 (not AWD, actual full-time 4x4). Now, however, I have sold my 4x4 in favor of something with better gas mileage (Honda Accord sedan, 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual), and I am wondering if I should buy some chains. I don't live at high elevation, but some of my friends do, and I go to places where it snows heavily fairly often, so I need to be able to drive in it. I used to live in New England, so I know how to drive on snowy/icy roads, but up there they know how to plow, and that's not the case down here.

So, any suggestions folks? I don't know much about chains, as I have always had 4x4 and never needed them, so I am trying to gather some information in order to be prepared for next winter. I'm sure it won't snow like it did this past winter, but it will snow, especially at high elevation, so I need to be prepared. What say you folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 02:20 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Cable chains are lower profile, slightly easier to put on/take off, than link style chains...
none I know of are rec'd to operate at over 25/30 mph. I can't imagine one would
need them down "below", from the serious elevations. I realize that some small roads
at ~3500 and up, have some issues nearly all winter due to shade/camber, etc., but
I would take a Pasadena on chains, other than a set in the trunk for emergencies.

You didn't mention if you have to get out/go regardless, but if one needs chains to
roll around Asheville for a day, nothing is open anyway, lol!

Why not look into a set of dedicated winter tires, and maybe a set of junk wheels to
mount those tires on. Our ol' X5 is only AWD, but with a set of slightly narrower oe
wheels and dedicated snow tires, it is a mtn goat, even up here at 5,000.

TireRack is a good place to start looking, imo...
GL, mD

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM

^ Yeah I have thought about snow tires, but it is just a big investment to make for living in a place with such a small amounr of snow. I was thinking of just getting a cheap set of cable chains to keep for emergencies, like you said, along with some burlap or sand or something of that nature. I just am not the type who likes to get caught in a situation where I need to go somewhere, but can't due to snow. It's never happened before, and it's not about to happen now. My manual transmission helps a lot in the snow though, especially for slowing down without using the brakes much. A lot of Southerners (and yes, Asheville people are Southerners, whether they admit it or not) just don't realize that you have to pump the brakes, not slam on them.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 AM

61 posts, read 359,220 times
I have driven/ridden in various Honda Accords in snow as deep as 12 inches with out any issues (Mainly in Michigan but also in the NC foothills). Most front wheel drive cars do quite well in the snow assuming the driver knows what they are doing.

With that being said I think you could probably do just fine in this area with out needing chains or special tires. If it was my own vehicle I know I would be comfortable just driving it as is assuming the normal tires are not bald.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM

So, I had to resurrect this thread because I didn't get many responses and winter is getting closer. Also, I am wondering if it would be worth trying to trade in for something with AWD. I know how to drive in snow quite well, but regardless, it is tough driving around the mountains with ice on the roads. Driving in Michigan in the winter is different because a) they're prepared and they plow the roads; and b) it is flat compared to Asheville. The difficult thing in the winter is driving UP the steep hills that are everywhere in WNC.

So what's the deal with chains? Do you just put them on to get through a particularly difficult spot, or do you keep them on and drive slow? I know you can't go fast with them on (like 30 or below), so that kind of eliminates keeping them on. How exactly are chains used? I never used them when I lived in Mass.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Not many responses, but good ones, imo...not many people in Western NC are driving around using tire chains. You have 4 choices, basically:
-drive what you have, with the std tires
-get a set of dedicated snow tires for the 3 months needed
-get an AWD/four wheel drive vehicle, (AWD does not make one bullet proof, nor does four wheel drive)
-get a set of cables, as I suggested earlier.

Cables are lighter weight, easier to put on/take off than chains, and will provide some assistance for the steep ups and downs.
A couple of practice sessions in your driveway will help, though a trial install on a dry, temperate Nov day is different than putting
them on at the bottom of a steep climb, in snowy and cold January. Cables work well, but are meant for lower speeds and short time usage,
not driving around with them; thus, they are a PIA.

Cables are for sale on net; have never seen them in any local auto parts store.
No connection with this joint, simply GOOG'd it:
Car Tire Chains and Snow Chains

Yes, elevation and steep north facing roads are a problem here in winter. But, unless one has to get out of their "problem road" every day,
I think chains are overkill for greater Asheville, but may offer you a chance for those steep, icy climbs. My 50Cts...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina