Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband are both in our early 20's. We currently live in Gainesville, Florida and are wanting to move near the Asheville area. My husband is a firefighter (I'm currently in school). I've seen different posts about Asheville and we both love it there, but we are now leaning more towards the outskirts of Asheville like Black Mountain and Weaverville. Does anyone know of anymore cities along those lines that would be best? Any help would be great. We have family in Boone and also family in Harrisonburg, VA. But, more towards Asheville is what we prefer. A more "small town" feel would be great. We both grew up in Alachua which is a smaller town right outside of Gainesville and we want something like that. We want SNOW and beautiful mountain scenery.

ALSO, we are looking around the Roanoke region of Virginia. Any around there?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-07-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 PM

622 posts, read 1,665,333 times
Not trying to dig stuff up or start anything, but coming from FL, please be prepared for the different costs associated with living in NC. There will be state income tax, city and county tax, as well as vehicle taxes that you'll have to pay each year, plus vehicle inspections, not to mention much harsher winters than you're used to in North FL. Asheville is a beautiful place, and if you love the small town feel you'll probably fit right in! But, just make sure you do your research and get your finances in line beforehand. Having a job lined up will be super important as well, as (unless things have changed recently) the job market isn't all that great up there. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
Dear FireFighterWife,
Aside from Weaverville and Black Mountain that you mentioned, other nearby towns include Hendersonville, which is located just south of Asheville on the west side of I-26, and Waynesville, further away and west of Asheville off I-40, both have populations similar to your town in Florida. Waynesville has some impressive mountains that you can see all around from Main Street, but if you're going to commute to Asheville, it's 45 mins. Snow is about the same in all four towns, we get several inches a few times in winter, but nothing like the big snows up in Boone.

If you'll do a regular search online, Hendersonville and Waynesville have several websites with pictures, and you can also do a forum search here to see what folks say about them. If I had to choose between the four towns, I'd move to the beach. Ha! Come on up next weekend or the following weekend, the leaves will be changing about then, and visit all four towns, take home lots of brochures and such. Also, you may wish to include a drive around the neighborhoods just north of downtown Asheville (North Charlotte and Montford), and of course get on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a little leaf-looking cruise, you can get a nice lunch up at Mount Pisgah Inn.
GG

Old 10-10-2010, 05:32 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
I think either Black Mountain or Weaverville woud be great if you are working in Asheville. But I think Black Mountain has the edge! I love the downtown and also love the easy access to the trails up in Montreat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina