Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times

Advertisements

I've been watching houses in the Asheville area over the past couple years. I basically watched the prices drop and drop and drop on those houses willing to be sold. Of course there are lots of delusional people with '07 and '08 prices on their homes and those houses sit until the people wake up and seriously drop the price or take them off the market.

One comes to mind in South Asheville. It would have sold for over $400,000, perhaps as high as $450,000, at the peak of the market. It recently sold for the very low $300,000s - pushing $300,000 flat. That would be a sale of about 2/3, perhaps a hair more, of it's top value - a 1/3 drop in value.

From what it appears, the $300,000+ market is slow when compared to the $200,000 and lower market in the Asheville area. However, the $400,000 and up, especially the $750,000 and up area, is especially slow or even nearly dead.

What do you think about the future for real estate values in the Buncombe County region? Does anyone's crystal ball have a prediction for the near, mid and long-term real estate future in the greater Buncombe County area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
BTW, I thought I'd add my prediction. For the near-term, I think there may still be a little fat that can be trimmed from the prices, but the bulk has already been removed. I would estimate that there might be another 5% to 10% at most available for a drop. I would suggest that prices might bounce down and up within that range between now and the next selling season.

Then, I would hope that prices remain flat, perhaps up a little one month, down a little the next month, but remaining in a trading range for another year or two.

That would bring us to late 2012 or 2013 where modest and sustainable price appreciation would come into play. I would hope that it falls into the 3%-5% annual range on average.

Does anyone think I'm crazy, delusional or just wearing my rose-colored glasses? Again, what do you think of Asheville's real estate future?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 PM

141 posts, read 323,069 times
You're being too rosy. We've got a massive credit bubble to deflate, and there are other systemic factors such as job creation and the movement of Boomers from the prime spending years of their lives to more savings as they approach retirement. Housing market may be dead for a decade; and the insane appreciation of the last decade was merely an aberration.

Here's some more grist for the mill. Can anyone contradict his methodology?

Rosenberg Explains Why Not One New Home Priced Over $750,000 Sold In July | zero hedge

If true that can't be good for Jim Anthony and the other high end speculators in our region.

Edit: Seems Rosenberg's methodology was a bit off by reading some of the comments further down the thread; still very enlightening on the overhang of high end homes. My thesis is that prices will continue to fall in the upper ranges which will put downward price pressures on the lower end home market. That 300K+ home could easily drop to 250k +/- or lower still.

Last edited by jstubbspt; 08-26-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 06:46 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I think it will be a few more yrs before homes start to appreciate again. People still want to live here. I give it a few more yrs though - although I dont see prices dropping much more than they currently are.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
BTW, I thought I'd add my prediction. For the near-term, I think there may still be a little fat that can be trimmed from the prices, but the bulk has already been removed. I would estimate that there might be another 5% to 10% at most available for a drop. I would suggest that prices might bounce down and up within that range between now and the next selling season.

Then, I would hope that prices remain flat, perhaps up a little one month, down a little the next month, but remaining in a trading range for another year or two.

That would bring us to late 2012 or 2013 where modest and sustainable price appreciation would come into play. I would hope that it falls into the 3%-5% annual range on average.

Does anyone think I'm crazy, delusional or just wearing my rose-colored glasses? Again, what do you think of Asheville's real estate future?
You are looking at further declines in the 20%-30% (minimum) on the higher end homes, especially if they are 2nd homes (that era is all but dead). There is no way prices will 'bounce' up in the next 3-5 years- and if you see it, that is a clear sign that your agent is clueless.

Appreciation? You'll be lucky to hold what you got in a couple of years - more like for a decade. The Option ARMs and Alt As won't clear the marketplace until 2013 at the earliest and then it will take a while for the banks (govt most likely) to clear all their foreclosure inventory.

Unfortunately, the RE market going to get a lot worse over the next couple of years in WNC...there is just too much risk.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:07 PM

764 posts, read 1,598,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbspt View Post
You're being too rosy. We've got a massive credit bubble to deflate, and there are other systemic factors such as job creation and the movement of Boomers from the prime spending years of their lives to more savings as they approach retirement. Housing market may be dead for a decade; and the insane appreciation of the last decade was merely an aberration.

Here's some more grist for the mill. Can anyone contradict his methodology?

Rosenberg Explains Why Not One New Home Priced Over $750,000 Sold In July | zero hedge

If true that can't be good for Jim Anthony and the other high end speculators in our region.

Edit: Seems Rosenberg's methodology was a bit off by reading some of the comments further down the thread; still very enlightening on the overhang of high end homes. My thesis is that prices will continue to fall in the upper ranges which will put downward price pressures on the lower end home market. That 300K+ home could easily drop to 250k +/- or lower still.
Rosie needs to do a better job of 'splainin' what he meant - obviously there were NEW homes >$750K which sold (but not more than 499 in total). The govt does not consider anything less than .5% as statistically significant -

Old 08-29-2010, 08:17 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,091 times
No amount of money in the world could compare to the happiness of living in WNC the past 5 years! The joy of fixing up an old farmhouse is PRICELESS!!!! You truly can't put a price tag on living in Heaven!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:57 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I thought that I'd revive this thread as I just closed in NYC. Price appreciation there has been at breakneck speed. Asheville is my home now and so I cashed in and did a 1031 exchange into 2 properties here and looking for a third. I will be living in one of the properties and renting the other two. This will allow me to live rent free and have an income to suppliment my pension.
I am hoping that the Asheville market will remain solid into my golden years. Anybody care to comment on the future of the Asheville real estate market?

Old 06-12-2015, 04:03 AM

244 posts, read 714,748 times
I'll let others comment on the state of things in the city of Asheville but the market in Black Mountain is starting to resemble the good old bubble days of 2006. Multiple offers on houses the day they hit the market, bidding wars, etc. Next we will probably see sellers refuse to allow inspection contingencies and banks offering no-doc mortgages. Black Mountain has always been a bad value despite its inherent cuteness so I'm going to look somewhere else (if it exists) where the laws of rationality still apply.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbnd View Post
i'll let others comment on the state of things in the city of asheville but the market in black mountain is starting to resemble the good old bubble days of 2006. Multiple offers on houses the day they hit the market, bidding wars, etc. Next we will probably see sellers refuse to allow inspection contingencies and banks offering no-doc mortgages. Black mountain has always been a bad value despite its inherent cuteness so i'm going to look somewhere else (if it exists) where the laws of rationality still apply.

ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina