Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 PM

58 posts, read 117,879 times

Advertisements

I hear Asheville is quite small and not very sophisticated -- is this true, from those of you familiar with the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 05:51 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
It's all relative, you know. To someone from Bugtussle, Asheville would be quite large and very sophisticated. To someone from Paris, not so much.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
It's all relative, you know. To someone from Bugtussle, Asheville would be quite large and very sophisticated. To someone from Paris, not so much.

Perfectly correct

And Asheville has a charm all its own

Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I agree.

Downtown is dense so it gives Asheville a nice little-big city vibe. Then there's the tourist aspect and snowbirds which ups the population a good part of the year.

Aside from that, and in my personal experience, I have found most natives to possess a sort of "tunnel vision" when it comes to wordliness, or a worldly openness to current events/other's views. Throw in the Baptist followers that eat/sleep/breath/verbally express their 'values' outside of church, the climate can be quite thick with naivety at times.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,665 times
Small, yes - but unsophisticated?? The first people I met in Madison County - my Realtor who graduated from Cornell - my neighbor, who is working on her 6th novel - a retired Army officer who was the first lawyer to defend someone being tried under the Patriot Act - a woman who worked for a major fashion designer and traveled the world - doesn't sound unsophisticated does it?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:10 AM

765 posts, read 2,568,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Small, yes - but unsophisticated?? The first people I met in Madison County - my Realtor who graduated from Cornell - my neighbor, who is working on her 6th novel - a retired Army officer who was the first lawyer to defend someone being tried under the Patriot Act - a woman who worked for a major fashion designer and traveled the world - doesn't sound unsophisticated does it?
Basically there are a lot of retirees down here with lots of degrees and other life experience--heck I have a PhD too. You need to take a look at the NC Center for Creative Retirement at UNC--attracts a lot of retirees here. So Asheville has something of an expatriate community that increases the level of sophistication quite a bit. This along with the tourist industry in turn has run the cost of living up enough that the locals are spread pretty thin inside the city of Asheville and the nearby communities in Buncombe County. If you drive out of town and start to see McCain/Palin bumper stickers you can be pretty sure that you've stumbled out into the land of Beck bobbleheads

Old 09-02-2010, 08:36 AM

467 posts, read 1,189,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
If you drive out of town and start to see McCain/Palin bumper stickers you can be pretty sure that you've stumbled out into the land of Beck bobbleheads
Heck, I live amongst this madness right here in a nice area of east Asheville.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
If you drive out of town and start to see McCain/Palin bumper stickers you can be pretty sure that you've stumbled out into the land of Beck bobbleheads
Wow. Talk about a perfect example of unsophisticated and intolerant.

To answer the OP. Yes, there are many sophisticated, educated, and wonderful people in the city and around. And yes, we also have intolerant, small-minded and ethnocentric people as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 AM

358 posts, read 983,173 times
So I guess you guys are saying that if you're not originally from here, you're bringing "the outside world" to the rest of us ignorant uneducated natives?

Old 09-04-2010, 07:03 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
Based on the OP's question and the fact that it was originally posted in the Triad forum, maybe they meant Asheboro? I have heard people confusing the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina