Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM

7 posts, read 17,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking to relocate and my husbands position would be in Fletcher. We want to live in an area like Ellijay Blue Ridge Blairsville etc... so could anyone recommend towns like this within an 45 minute commute? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Patriot T View Post
Hello,

We are looking to relocate and my husbands position would be in Fletcher. We want to live in an area like Ellijay Blue Ridge Blairsville etc... so could anyone recommend towns like this within an 45 minute commute? Thanks.
Hi I live in the (sort of) Fletcher area. I live in Mills River. It sounds as if you're looking for a North Georgia Mountains type experience. Am I correct? Pretty much all of the more rural counties in western North Carolina are going to be similar.

I suggest you try looking in Transylvania County. There are a lot of rural areas there and the proximity to Brevard and Hendersonville is nice. I would think that a 45 minute commute would be quite doable from Transylvania County into Fletcher.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
I think you might consider Hendersonville. It's the bona fide town closest to Fletcher. It's a small town, but has lots of shopping and good places to live and a hospital, plus Hend is equidistant from the really big lake of Lake Lure, Pisgah Forest with waterfalls and the Blue Ridge Parkway and Pisgah Inn, the Tryon horses in spring, and of course Asheville. In addition, the town is almost adjacent to the main airport for the area, plus the Ag Center where all sorts of farming stuff and horse shows go on. And Hend is also nearly adjacent to Flat Rock where the state theater is and close to the Carl Sandburg Home with small lake and goat farm.

Hendersonville is like Ellijay GA in that Hend is also an apple place. Hend has a variety of affordable neighborhoods, differing terrain and styles, a few lakes, some ponds, cute downtown area with shoppes and restaurants, its own newspaper. And of course it's just a few minutes from Fletcher, for work. Just go west over I-26 from Fletcher, you'll pass the Four Seasons mall and then over a bridge, where if you hang a left at the Church Street area, you can park and visit the downtown shoppes. Then ask how to get up to Laurel Park via that boulevard OR to the country club and nearby lake, use either or both as a reference to tour around lots of diff neighborhoods.

It's a quiet Southern mountain town once you get into it, and yet an impulsive turn into some areas outside of that quaint normalcy, you'll find some "mountain living." You can live peacefully in a good home with all necessities just blocks away, and yet be close to work, and within a day's trip to several big-time activities!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:18 AM

7 posts, read 17,376 times
Thank you so much!! This is just what I was looking for. I looked at Hendersonville before and this seems like it might be it.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,517 times
Hello, Did you finish your move? I am also looking to move to Fletcher area and am interested in how you loike the area? What would you suggest for a new person considering relocation? I live in NC currently near Greensboro.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:35 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Patriot T View Post
Thank you so much!! This is just what I was looking for. I looked at Hendersonville before and this seems like it might be it.
Hendersonville is excellent and there are some lovely areas depending on your price range. If hubby is going to work in Fletcher, also consider areas off Cane Creek Road (take the road by the CVS on Rt. 25), and into parts of Fairview. Gorgeous mountain vistas off Cane Creek. Also look into Hooper's Creek area and areas off Jackson Road just past the Fletcher Community Park. Jackson Road leads to some nice elevations and a few sweetheart subdivisions with decent lot sizes or more land. As the other reply mentioned, Mills River is very nice too, very country feel with some mountain views from the flats. Personally would not live out in Transylvania County and travel to Fletcher. No need to be that far out. Get an experienced local Realtor who knows the Fletcher area like the back of his/her hand.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 12-17-2010 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 AM

127 posts, read 476,059 times
You might want to consider Saluda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina