Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times

Advertisements

Skyrunner is basically a line of sight 2-way antenna based system. In addition to Mt Pisgah and downtown, they have towers on Hamburg Mtn in Weaverville and Spivey Mtn W of town. On the customer end they install an antenna (either one about 1 sq ft or one about 3 sq ft) on your roof and must "see" the closest tower. As a comparison to the speeds given above I just ran Speedtest on Charter and got 13.6 Mb/s download and 1.0 Mb/s upload. These speeds have been pretty consistent since the line was replaced last February.

BTW, I just had Progress Energy do some work out here the other day and they now tell me they are going to have to replace my line also--yep, the squirrels have been munching on that one too! So get out your binoculars and take a look at the lines coming to your house and see if you might have problems on any of your lines if you are getting intermittent signal drops or flickering/strange things happening with your lights and appliances. This can be pretty serious and result in damaged or ruined appliances and the guy said it is pretty common around here with all the squirrels. He had one customer pop 40 of the little rodents after he found out what had killed his household appliances
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:41 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
According to their test, I've got 19 Mbps and 2 Mbps.

If you have the need for speed, then Charter has you by the megabits, if ya know what I mean.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
WOW! I thought we had had problems in Henderson County before Morris Broadband took over. Mediacom (thank God they're gone) were horrible and we had similar problems as you all are describing.

Morris isn't too terribly bad - they're not great, but they're not as bad as Charter appears to be. The main problem seems mostly to be with signal strength, but of course, I live in BFE and the closer to Hendersonville seems there are less problems with strength.

I'm sorry you guys are all having problems It peeves me that these cable companies are (for the most part) the only game in town and can be as crummy as they wish. Hmmmmm, I wonder if we can stage a coup and over throw the cable kings - LOL

Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
According to their test, I've got 19 Mbps and 2 Mbps.

If you have the need for speed, then Charter has you by the megabits, if ya know what I mean.

Test it yourself, I get the above, on the 16/1 plan.

Why so negative My power goes out a lot more often than my internet. And even then the internet still works because I have cable modem and router on a UPS so I just use a laptop to get on the internet while sitting in the dark.

Last problem I had with any of my service, was the HD cable box died, tech came on time and replaced it within 12 hours of my calling to report the problem.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
Today I got my bill from Charter: not only did they try to charge me for the installation they said was free, but they snuck in the $5 a month "wire repair" fee - together an extra $35 on the bill!!

I called them and what a pain: give all the info to a recording and then when you finally get a person, give all the info again. Stupid, stupid system.

BUT... they did remove the charges from the bill and apologized (*like it was the fault of the poor sap I got on the phone).

So Charter just fell from B+ to C+ in my book. Little better than average.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM

When you call Charter, select the prompt to get you to the correct general area, usually only 1 or 2 deep. Then at every prompt, say "agent". May have to say it a couple of times, but it gets you to a real person a lot quicker.

Don't fight and gripe about what you can't change, learn the weaknesses and workarounds and beat their system.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Yeah, Charter has always been a problem for me, no matter where I have lived. Actually, our service has been completely perfect since we moved into the new house in early July, and we just had our first problem a few days ago. By Charter standards, this is a major improvement! Also, they were very quick to get a guy out to the house to fix the problem. So, they seem to be getting better. A couple years ago, my internet never worked for 3 days in a row, no exaggeration.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:45 AM

692 posts, read 1,706,477 times
Cable is not stable..go with the dish D* or Dish. If you need speed for your business, get the ATT business plan.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:27 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Cable is not stable..go with the dish D* or Dish. If you need speed for your business, get the ATT business plan.
Interesting. Cable has always been extremely stable for me. Dishes go out when the weather is bad - especially cold, snowy days. Outages with dishes are much more frequent.

As for AT&T connections for internet, if you don't need speed and just use the internet for email and occasional searches, it is fine. If you upload lots of pics like I do, it is way too slow and frustrating.

Each person needs to evaluate needs, location, and experience before choosing. Once size (product) does not fit all.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiafjam View Post
Blatantly false, my cable is a solid performer, always has been. By AT&T I assume you mean DSL from AT&T? DSL can't match cables speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina