Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,386,969 times

Advertisements

I've driven 64 from Hayesville to Franklin to Highlands/Cashiers without being scared.

But I've read so many accounts that it's really scary between Cashiers and Brevard. I thought that section had more drop offs that you had to drive close to judging by how it's been portrayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 12:11 PM

33 posts, read 173,507 times
Shooting Stars

I have lived here in Transylvania County all my 64 years and I'm sure I don't know the roads as well as Quilterchick who has lived here for 9 years, but I will say in MHO the road from Highlands to Cashiers is a little scarrier than Cashiers to Rosman. In snow and ice either will make you pucker up. However there are two signs at the Rosman exit stating for truckers to avoid US 64 for the next 40 miles. That is from Rosman to Franklin I think. The road from Rosman to Brevard is a very good two lane. As Maggie stated in her post many tractor trailers do go over the edge of the curves and flip causing major backups.

BadTiger
Rosman

Last edited by BadTiger64; 11-30-2010 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: additional wording

Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM

Thank you Bad Tiger.

I've driven 64 from Highlands to Cashiers and hardly remember it. If it had been horrible, I'd remember it. Glad to hear Cashiers to Rosman is even better.

Speaking of accidents, have any of you driven Highway 129 "Tail Of The Dragon" in Robbinsville? Tons of motorcycles and there's been an accident every time I've gone.

They sell t-shirts that say "I put my bones on the line on 129".

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 PM

Tail Of The Dragon: 318 Curves in 11 Miles

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 10,140 times
Default Possible move to Brevard

We are from Michigan and will be retiring in 2 yrs. Looking at the Brevard Area.
Please let us know all about that beautiful area, weather, housing, etc.
All comments/advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot,
Diesel

Old 08-14-2014, 04:20 PM

27,011 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Just wanted to add something to think about relative to relocating in Brevard. For anyone who wants relatively easy access to good medical care, cardiac issues, cancer issues, and so forth; we neverknow, do we. Consider the time it will take to get to top medical care in Asheville, Mission Hospitals is very highly rated, No. 5 in the country I believe for cardiac care as an example. Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher (off Rt. 25) is also on my list of places to go, and ParDee in Hendersonville (just off Rt. 64) is also excellent. (Personally, I would go out of my way to avoid Transylvania Cty Hospt. and I'm sure I'll get some heat for that remark.)But ... this is an opinion forum and that's an opinion from an informed local.
TRH Named Top 20 Critical Access Hospital

Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Thanks for the update; the TRH has come a long way in 4 yrs. since my Nov. 2010 post.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,243,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Thanks for the update; the TRH has come a long way in 4 yrs. since my Nov. 2010 post.
It became part of Mission ... just saying I think they have access to more resources now vs. then. And money makes all the difference.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,407 times
My wife and I visited Brevard this summer and were very impressed. I'm retiring from the USAF next year and we're looking for a place to begin civilian life. We have two daughters who will be high school age and I'll likely commute to an airline job (I'm a pilot) either to Charlotte or Atlanta. We're outdoors type folks who love hiking and biking. Kids are into sports and church. We enjoy art, music, theater and are foodies. We like college towns. Brevard seems like a great fit for our lifestyle but looks can be deceiving. We're concerned about the town's sustainability long term. My wife is a nurse so we'll also be looking for a place for her to work. I realize this is a long list of preferences but this is the first time we've been able to select where we live so we're being kind of choosy. Would Brevard be a good fit for us?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:27 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying high View Post
My wife and I visited Brevard this summer and were very impressed. I'm retiring from the USAF next year and we're looking for a place to begin civilian life. We have two daughters who will be high school age and I'll likely commute to an airline job (I'm a pilot) either to Charlotte or Atlanta. We're outdoors type folks who love hiking and biking. Kids are into sports and church. We enjoy art, music, theater and are foodies. We like college towns. Brevard seems like a great fit for our lifestyle but looks can be deceiving. We're concerned about the town's sustainability long term. My wife is a nurse so we'll also be looking for a place for her to work. I realize this is a long list of preferences but this is the first time we've been able to select where we live so we're being kind of choosy. Would Brevard be a good fit for us?

Brevard is very nice, but mostly a retirement town. If you need to commute to Charlotte from Brevard let's say, you're looking at a 2.5 hr. drive. Unless you hop a ride from CLT to the AVL airport and then get into Brevard via Rt. 280.

More convenient for you and yet still near the mountains would be the "upstate" of SC near the foothills within easier drives on I-26 or even Rt. 25 going into Greenville SC (GSP airport). Greenville is only about 35 miles from Hendersonville and 55 from Asheville. Hendersonville is well located and more activities and more family oriented and sports oriented town and events for the teens. Very active town for entertainment, arts, historic, nice shopping, lovely subdivisions, etc. The Flat Rock Playhouse is very popular here, and foodies fit right in. Hendersonville schools are well rated and plenty of families here. About halfway between Asheville and Greenville SC. Hope this helps.

www.historichendersonville.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina