Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM

28 posts, read 102,733 times

Advertisements

My family and I are seriously considering a move to Boone next spring. We have a trip booked to visit the area in November. In the meantime, I have some questions. Any and all opinions/information would be SO appreciated.

1. Which particular Watuga Elementary Schools are the most highly regarded? I checked online at the state data and it looks like Blowing Rock was rated highest. Parkway also did well. But, I know "data" doesn't tell the whole story. Also, does anyone know anything about Two Rivers Community School (public charter school)...it seems great...my daughter is at a charter school now and we love it.

2. According to my research online, Boone has a very affordable cost of living...but as I actually search for rental houses on real estate websites, they seem a bit pricey. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom. Which areas in/around Boone are good for finding affordable rental property (in a good school district).

3. Realtor recommendations?

4. "Must See/Do" spots in/around Boone when we visit?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
You must remember that Boone is a HUGE college town. There are more College Students then actual residents of Boone. You might want to look at places outside of Boone for apartments because most apartments in Boone will be occupied by loud people who never sleep most apartments are crap here. other than that it's an awesome city. so yea go live in Blowing Rock

Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,538,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman928 View Post
You must remember that Boone is a HUGE college town. There are more College Students then actual residents of Boone. You might want to look at places outside of Boone for apartments because most apartments in Boone will be occupied by loud people who never sleep most apartments are crap here. other than that it's an awesome city. so yea go live in Blowing Rock
Hey wolfman thanks for the advise. I too am looking to move to Western N.C next year and Boone and/or Blowing Rock area are high on my list.
I like Blowing Rock a lot but isn't it quite a bit more expensive than Boone?
Also it seems as if Boone is a little bigger than Blowing Rock. I'm not a college student and don't plan on living in an apartment but arn't there places outside the town that you could get away from the student element?
Thanks for any insight.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,887,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman928 View Post

I would have phrased it this way - Boone is a small town with a HUGE college student population.

Honestly, when school is in session traffic can be a nightmare. But if you can live outside of Boone a bit and can avoid having to be on the roads nearest the university it's a lot more pleasant. Problem is, housing is at a premium because there ARE so many students.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM

83 posts, read 266,795 times
I live in Jefferson, NC and work in Boone at ASU. I absolutely hate this place and will be moving the second I get some things wrapped up here. Real estate prices are outrageous considering the economy. The Boone area is the only place where real estate prices have not dropped. That's why I live 30 miles away in Ashe County. If you are looking for a 3br/2ba ranch style home, be prepared to pay around $200k-$300k for something decent and not stuck in the 1970's. Blowing Rock is even more expensive than Boone. That is why Blowing Rock schools are better. It's more of the elite who live in Blowing Rock. Traffic in Boone is horrible, very congested. I just got back from Vegas, and it was a breeze driving out there compared to here. My aunt came to visit me from Chicago, and she could not believe the amount of traffic for such a small town. Be prepared for all of the tourists!! They are here year round now. Gas is about 20 cents higher here than in the surrounding counties. There is rarely a perfect sunny day. If it is sunny, the wind is tearing around. The past 2 weeks have been nothing but drizzle, cold, and gray skys. I feel like a vampire. This place is so depressing. I have lived here all of my life, so I know the area very well. But that's just my 2 cents, so whatever floats your boat...

Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,538,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mre0609 View Post
I live in Jefferson, NC and work in Boone at ASU. I absolutely hate this place and will be moving the second I get some things wrapped up here. Real estate prices are outrageous considering the economy. The Boone area is the only place where real estate prices have not dropped. That's why I live 30 miles away in Ashe County. .. There is rarely a perfect sunny day. If it is sunny, the wind is tearing around. The past 2 weeks have been nothing but drizzle, cold, and gray skys. I feel like a vampire. This place is so depressing. I have lived here all of my life, so I know the area very well. But that's just my 2 cents, so whatever floats your boat...
Hi, thanks for the info. But I must say your post hurt my heart lol!
I live in Florida and have been plotting my escape to Western N.C for a while and the High Country you speak of has been high on my list!

I find Florida and the opressive heat/humidity duo depressing. And eventhough I live in "sunny florida" I feel like a vampire in the summer! I get up early and get my run in and I mean EARLY to avoid the heat. I am an outdoorsy person and long for the mountains but I really value opinions of people who live there!

I lived in Vermont for 5 years so I am familiar with cold and WIND. But I don't mind at all. I prefer it, and find it invigorating, and I find heat/humidityopressive.

I have spent alot of time in Western N.C but not in Boone or Blowing Rock. IN fact this year was my first time there. I loved Blowing Rock and the weather when I was there-late June/early July was gorgeous. In fact perfect, sunny, no humidity, cool, and really no wind to speak of.

But I did note the traffic in Boone, and real estate is high. I can put up with tourist as long as I have my little piece of land.

Would you mind me asking where you are moving to that you feel your quality of life would be better? Also expounding on what else you find depressing about WNC? Thanks a lot.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM

83 posts, read 266,795 times
Like I said I was born and raised here...I plan on moving to the west coast, preferrably Henderson, NV. People out west are much friendlier. No state income tax, so I will be getting more bang for my buck. Housing is soooo much cheaper. It is very hard to make new friends with the locals here. I should know, I am one. This area used to be so beautiful, but tourists have decided to make this area their second-home spot, so they bought up all of the real estate, and drove the prices through the roof. Downtown Boone is UGLY! Full of hippy-ish dreadlock, hooka smoking, peace sign wearing people. There is not a whole lot to do. Sure we have kayaking, canoeing, etc, but the New River is drying up quickly, and I often wonder how people are able to row through the waters. I like to dine out a lot, and I usually drive 2 hours to Charlotte just to go to a decent place to eat. Boone is the meth capital of NC (woohoo!). I hate to say this but us local people don't take to kindly to people from Florida. If you do decide to move, I would head straight to the DMV and get your tags changed over, b/c once people see a Florida tag, there are all over your driving. Not sure if you are retired or whatever, but if you are planning on working, be aware that NC has one of the highest state income tax rates out there. If I am correct, there is no state income tax in FL? Jobs are hard to come by. ASU has approx, 17000 students, which is half of the population of Boone. When school is in session, it takes me 30 minutes to drive around one block. Watauga is a pretty liberal county, though, compared to Ashe and Wilkes, who are very Bible Belt-ish. There is rarely a perfect sunny day. When it's sunny, it's windy...etc. No humidity?? Try around 90% humidity during the summer, we had several 100 degree days here. Ten years ago, it was a shock to hit the 80 degree mark. Last winter we had 120 inches of total snow...compared to Fairbanks, Alaska, who had 45 inches last year. Well, those are my reasons for wanting to get outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina