Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,169,323 times

Advertisements

I've never been. What's the best time of year to go? it looks so beautiful at Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 AM

358 posts, read 999,606 times
If you live close enough, I'd get a year's pass and go several times. That's what DH and I are doing. We first went last July and toured the house; went back in September for a specialty tour; are going again this weekend for another specialty tour and to see the Christmas decorations and will go at least one more time in the Spring. We just couldn't pin it down to one visit!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 PM

94 posts, read 200,663 times
We visted the Biltmore Estate last year during the first week of their Christmas/Holiday season. We toured the grounds (winery, stables, etc) during the day and took a tour of the Biltmore house in the evening. It was absolutely spectacular at night with all the lights and candles. Highly recommend!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info! Now I can't wait to see it during the holidays!

Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Pay mind to the schedule of busiest days. Biltmore looks huge on the outside, but some of the corridors and rooms you are allowed to tour are narrow. You might find yourself being swept along with the tide of people if you go on a day where the crowds are bad.

Visit Biltmore - Calendar - Christmas at Biltmore

I'd schedule a day to go in advance and buy tickets online accordingly (make sure your printer is working!). It's an awesome place to visit, especially during Christmas, but $64? Damn If you know someone who works at a large corporation in NC, you might check with them to see if you can get a bigger discount through their place of business. I only paid something like $33 for a ticket last year, using the discount code from my workplace.

The organization gets props for efficiency. If you have tickets in advance, you can drive straight to the gate, have your ticket scanned and proceed to parking.

Last edited by silverwing; 11-06-2010 at 05:34 AM..

Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 AM

227 posts, read 856,308 times
I've been twice and loved it both times. The rooms looks beautiful all decorated at Christmas. It was extremely busy 2 yrs ago, bought tickets online and our time was 8:30 at night. We were bused over from the parking lot, after our tour people were still arriving by bus loads. Our tickets allowed us to go back the next day but alas it was pouring and miserable. Last year went during the day and also toured the winery.

Be sure to pay extra for the headsets as there is more information than the booklet provides and take your time, don't be rushed. You will absolutely enjoy.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 PM

904 posts, read 2,873,747 times
You have to get a time to go into the house. Try to get the first time in the morning.(by ordering your tickets online and scheduling your time to enter the house) There aren't as many people and you can usually move through at your own pace. Biltmore is beautiful when decorated for the holidays. Have fun!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:51 PM

After talking to friends from Charlotte, they said the last time they were there during the holidays it was so crowded and tight, they left. Guess there's no option: Deal with the crowd at Christmas or miss it? And I really wanted the evening tour. I had no idea of how popular AND pricey!
Thanks for all the input!

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,189,083 times
It is pricey! We only visit Biltmore Estate when our cousins, who have a family pass and/or free tickets through their employer, come to visit from Cary, NC.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:17 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
I've never been. What's the best time of year to go? it looks so beautiful at Christmas.
Now and for the next month is the time to go in my opinion

Oh, it's gorgeous in the sping and summer too - but I just LOVE when it's all decorated up for the Christmas holidays!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina