U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 PM

6 posts, read 85,892 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Asheville and need to know what to expect cost-wise so I can budget out everything...

Moving fairly close to downtown Asheville (walking distance to downtown, will be renting). Any utility provider recommendations are also welcome. Thank you!

1- What is YOUR average monthly electric bill?
2- What is YOUR average monthly trash/recycle pickup?
3- What is YOUR average internet bill?
4- What is YOUR average water bill?

Are there any other utility type expenses I should be aware of?

Again, thanks!

Last edited by cmelton13; 11-16-2010 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: added "YOUR" in hopes of actually getting responses some here. Really need to know what to expect, and quickly. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:35 PM

I see that, at last check, 12 people have viewed my post... yet nobody has answered. I implore you – please take a moment to share, off the top of your head, what your average monthly costs are for the items listed in my post. Many thanks.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM

765 posts, read 2,373,829 times
Are you renting a house or apartment--makes a big difference? Will you be in the city or in the county--makes a difference? If in the county where--different rates in different water districts? How many bedrooms or how big a house--makes a difference? How many people in the dwelling--makes a difference?

In our case 2 adults in a 3 br, 2 bath house in the county in Woodfin Water District on the Metropolitan Sewer District, with high efficiency washer/dryer, high efficiency hybrid heat pump/gas furnace.

Electric=$148
Gas=$25
Water/sewer=$77
Trash=$14
Internet/cable TV=$118

Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Thank you Cofga!

HOUSE - 2 BR/ 1 BA
near downtown (yes, CITY)
3 ADULTS
will have INTERNET ONLY (a TV-free home)

I have no idea what kind of heat pump / etc the house will have b/c I am not there yet and the actual house has not been decided on. I am trying to budget everything out, hence the request for people to share what THEIR average monthly bills for utilities are.

I did speak w/ Asheville's Water Resources Department and found out that, for my particular situation, the average monthly bill for water/sewer/recycle/trash is $83/mo avg.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:37 PM

2,088 posts, read 3,939,797 times
It would benefit you greatly to just call these utility providers and ask for the average cost of services for a house you are interested in. They will give you a yearly average if you tell them you are looking into renting it. If you insist on knowing now, call the providers and ask what their service is by watt/gal. etc. and look at what you use now and determine what it would be here. A little work and research on your part goes a long way instead of coming onto a forum, do what you did for water with everything....

Just because a bunch of random people on the internet can tell you what their cost is doesn't mean its going to be close to your cost depending on location, type of heating, number of occupants etc. For example, my house is almost 100 years old and my heating bill is out of this world. But the house down the road from me is a brand new house. You bet our bills are different.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks to those who replied. As stated above, I was able to contact the Water Resources Department and now have that info (before it closed today). I will certainly contact the appropriate utility companies directly just as soon as they open in the morning. Earlier when I posted this thread, I had the silly notion that a range of people would simply state what their average monthly utility costs are & that I would be able to ascertain an average from those responses; however there are not enough replies to do that.

Looking forward to moving to Asheville It will be very soon, as early as 2 weeks from now. Hence the rush to gather info.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM

120 posts, read 353,010 times
Cofga -- If you see this post, may I ask what your average heating bill was last winter with all the cold and snow? Just curious... Thanks. Hope you are doing well.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:31 PM

16,308 posts, read 26,132,929 times
Water/sewer about 110 every 2 months
Electricity, 100 winter, 200 july/august
internet, part of cable bundle including HD channels, 120 or so
Recycling, part of water bill, contractor provided
Garbage - about $3400 per year, but includes once a month brush pickup.
Rain, yep even get charged for that, $28/year

Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 AM

765 posts, read 2,373,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityGirl57 View Post
Cofga -- If you see this post, may I ask what your average heating bill was last winter with all the cold and snow? Just curious... Thanks. Hope you are doing well.
Last Jan/Feb/Mar it average $200 per month. However I expect to do better than that this year since we replaced a 20 year old heat pump with a high efficiency heat pump/gas furnace hybrid system. We may see as much as a 1/3 cut in costs--however that may not be completely realized since we are now heating an additional 1000 sq ft area in the basement that was not heated last year. Our house is pretty tight and actually gets a 5% discount from the electric company as an energy efficient home. We also are having a gas heater installed on our enclosed side porch this morning to make it usable all winter so that will kick up the gas bill a little

Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM

181 posts, read 303,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelton13 View Post
I am moving to Asheville and need to know what to expect cost-wise so I can budget out everything...

Moving fairly close to downtown Asheville (walking distance to downtown, will be renting). Any utility provider recommendations are also welcome. Thank you!

1- What is YOUR average monthly electric bill?
2- What is YOUR average monthly trash/recycle pickup?
3- What is YOUR average internet bill?
4- What is YOUR average water bill?

Are there any other utility type expenses I should be aware of?

Again, thanks!
Okay - it's expensive here (I'm giving you averages and we try to keep things off and low). Two people, larger house, and a small yard to maintain.

Elec in a house = $90 (ave throughout year)
Trash/recycle = $35ish (option is to take it to the dump for free - part of taxes)
Water = $60
Oil = ave... $250 (winter/summer - no heat - as high as $650/mth in winter)
Internet = Charter and it's all over the place and not very good. We have a package deal (no contract). $30 and goes as high standalone to $60. Their service is pretty bad and options aren't great.
Food in summer/spring is lower due to local markets. Meats are higher here than other areas (Buncombe is higher). GAS (car) is higher here than elsewhere. Most grocery items are higher here than elsewhere. We didn't move here because it's cheap. (Property taxes are lower but you also pay property taxes on your car.)
Oil changes are higher here than in NJ/NY.

What's going on for you to be imploring for this info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina